6 replies to this topic

#1 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

i was debating the surface of my kitchen counter. was almost ready to go with granite even tho the color we wanted isn't easily available and it is very expensive. i have always loved the bar at palapita den medio so i sent my maestro de obra and his top tile worker (more like artist) to check it out. they found an even more experienced guy and oh my goodness, it turned out BEAUTIFUL and it isn't 100 ready yet. this guy is really good at this specialized artform.
it is a white cement base with tiny and medium chips of multicolored marble and sliced caracol randomly placed on the counter and backsplash. i gave them a couple of worn down conch shells and they took them to a butcher to slice!
no lines, smooth as a baby's bottom, only a tiny seam of sealant between the base and the backsplash, gently curved on the edges.
materials cost me about 1500 pesos and the work is 7500. i think the granite for the size of my counter was going to be at least 9000, not including the labor.
if you are interested in this kind of counter, let me know and i will get the info on the guy. tomorrow i will try to post a picture.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#2 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

That sounds really interesting. I would love to see a photo and get the man's contact information, if possible, to price kitchen and bathroom countertops as well as an outdoor kitchen. Thank you much for the info!

Dos Margaritas

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

That sounds really interesting. I would love to see a photo and get the man's contact information, if possible, to price kitchen and bathroom countertops as well as an outdoor kitchen. Thank you much for the info!

Dos Margaritas

don fernando can be reached at 987 112 5195. having trouble uploading the pix... but you can pm me and i will send you one. i am thrilled with his work.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#4 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

i was debating the surface of my kitchen counter. was almost ready to go with granite even tho the color we wanted isn't easily available and it is very expensive. i have always loved the bar at palapita den medio so i sent my maestro de obra and his top tile worker (more like artist) to check it out. they found an even more experienced guy and oh my goodness, it turned out BEAUTIFUL and it isn't 100 ready yet. this guy is really good at this specialized artform.
it is a white cement base with tiny and medium chips of multicolored marble and sliced caracol randomly placed on the counter and backsplash. i gave them a couple of worn down conch shells and they took them to a butcher to slice!
no lines, smooth as a baby's bottom, only a tiny seam of sealant between the base and the backsplash, gently curved on the edges.
materials cost me about 1500 pesos and the work is 7500. i think the granite for the size of my counter was going to be at least 9000, not including the labor.
if you are interested in this kind of counter, let me know and i will get the info on the guy. tomorrow i will try to post a picture.

I would love to see the pics!

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Count me among those who would love to see pictures.

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

let's see if this works. these were taken a year and a half ago. as cement does, there are fine cracks. it needs to be cleaned and sealed with silicone every 6 months or so (my chore for tomorrow) to reduce stains. very pretty still.

Attached Files

Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Wow! I totally want to do that when we remodel our bathroom in the US.

We already have laboratory countertops in our kitchen, which are made of a cement product. Very durable and attractive but too dark for a bathroom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users