• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gorms

Gorms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

My wife and I are headed to Czm 2/26 - 3/5, we are staying at the Allego. We both have done about 400 dives each. I have used Dive Palancar in the past for convience reasons but I am looking for a safe, reliable dive op. that can pick us up at the Allegro and let us dive our computers. I am not looking for any extreme diving but I would like to not have to surface with 1500 PSI.
Tried Scuba with Allison she's booked, tried Bluextsea can't seem to get a hold of her, now I am feeling desperate can someone recomend a good shop.
Thanks Mike

#2 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

There are plenty of good operators on Cozumel - I personally have experience with 3 dive operators and I would recommend Living Underwater (www.livingunderwater.com). They are a valet operations - they come to pick up your gear the night before your dive, set up your dive year, and wash/store your dive gear at night (incl wetsuits). They use Steel Tanks so you get more dive time and they dock at a local beach club during the surface interval. They let me dive my own profile - usually, I have so much time, I get cold or run out of bottom time before I run out of air.

You also might check out scubaboard.com and look through the threads as there are many concerning dive operators, and, trust me, people get passionate!

Enjoy your trip!

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

There are several good shops that offer max bottom time diving. Not trying to sound like a spoiled sport, but frankly I haven't been diving with another op for over 14 years here in Cozumel and even then I would always just charter a private boat. I haven't experienced group diving without me leading for maybe 25+ years, so you could probably learn more from other divers about their experiences with other op's, than from me. I will say to be careful as there are some op's that have zero concern for safety. I also hate making recommendations based on the fact that my expectations of a dive op are probably much different than a non-professional. I could care less about if they have a towel for me or if they wash or keep my gear. What I am interested in is the experience itself.

Per "valet" op's. Most op's will pick you up at your hotel, especially if it is South of the marina. I will say one thing in all frankness...the idea that it is so wonderful that the crew sets up the clients gear...well because everyone else does we make this concession too, but in reality it is a very bad idea. You can learn an incredible amount about a diver from watching them assemble their kit. I've listned to people tell me things like how many dive trips they've made or how they consider themselves to be world class divers, when the reality of it is it takes them several minutes to remember which side of the tank to mount the reg. Setting up your own gear also helps you to check your stuff out (the crews cannot possible be familiar with every piece of equipment made, especially computers) and helps to get you focused on the task at hand...diving. IMHO one of the most important aspects of adventure sports and risk activities should be that they show us how to be more self-reliant.

Cozumel Diving

#4 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Give my friend Jeremy Anschel at Living Underwater a try. My wife and I have been diving with Jeremy for years and can highly recommend his operation. Very personalized serivce. Small groups. Fast boat, big tanks and you will definitely be able to dive your computers. Plan on hour plus dives. Long surface intervals at one of the beach clubs and lots of attenion to detail.
Jeremy's website is living-underwater.com. Phone numbers and email address are listed there.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users