7 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I need some advice.

We are thinking of buying an "Invisible Fence" to corral our dogs, but have no experience if this product works.

We have gates up, and lots of chicken wire, but they just find another path to get out.

This hasn't been a problem until now. We have new home construction going on, and we want our dogs always in OUR yard and not harassing the workers, and new home owners.

We are not looking to fence off all 5 acres, just the front area that they seem to find so attractive to escape from.

Any one have experience with this product, or has another solution that works better...let me know.

The dogs do come when they are called, but only have they get their chuckles (they don't bite) of scaring the cr*p out of everybody. :angry:

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

paula are you in luck!
when we were building our home, we were staying at my suegra's house which is a 50x50 meter lot with many ways for the dogs to get out. i bought the best system (after much research) with 500 meters (i think) of cable. you dig a very small trench or simply tack the wire to the ground, set your zones, and put the rechargable WATERPROOF collars on. i knew i had to get the waterproof as my labs like running in the rain.
labs, being the most difficult breed to keep under control with this type of fence, aren't 100%, but it did the job with only a couple of escapes.
i still have the whole system, which includes the wire, the base (which has lightning protection and 24 hour backup battery protection in case of power failure), the collars, and the charging unit. the flags and stakes i may not have but they are easily found or not even needed if you use something else to "mark" it and bury the cable an inch or two. i had mine on top of the ground. the collars take some getting used to with setting them. there is also a control for training purposes that sometimes was tricky as well. i also have the manual and i can probably find the training video. the whole system cost me well over $400 but very well worth it. and spare parts are easily found on their website. http://www.innotek.n...-Ground-Fences. i got the 1st or 2nd on the list, plus an extra collar. the collars are cut to size....and they were cut for my large labs so they can be cut more. i used the unit for about 10 months. you need to remove the collars for 6 hours a day so the dogs don't get a rash from it.
like you, i did extensive research on many brands and spoke to the folks as well for their recommendation.

now that i have a walled property, the unit is collecting dust and i'd love to find a new owner for it. for your small dogs, it should be great. but like the website says, it's only as good as the training you do with the dogs to "understand" their limits.

make an offer...
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

I have seen people train their dogs in Alaska to respect the property line using these and they seemed to work. If you train horses with an electric fence (wire) you can then keep them corralled with kite string.

#4 Hampster

Hampster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Movies, SCUBA, dogs, friends & fun

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Two things to remember - you need a full loop for it to work so to only apply it to your front line will take a little creativity. Secondly, dogs tend to run out full blast when they want to chase something. Then, they return leisurely. If they aare intent on something, they won't mind the shock going out but will sit in the street waiting to come back in.
Hampster

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hamster (why do I picture you with BIG, full cheeks), I asked my husband about this, and he said "got it all figured out"...

I really do appreciate your comments.

Now, lets see who trains, who here.

To be honest, the last thing I expected was to find someone who actually had the item!

There is no other site, that I know of that helps foreigners as much as CMC!

Now, who has Money Tree Saplings for sale?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

if i had spent a bit more time training my 3 dogs (2 big labs and a chow mix), it would have worked even better. the training video is very straight forward and there are so many links on how to do so properly anyway. mario, who works with the humane society and sometimes with julio, is a certified trainer and can give you a hand once you have it set up. his number is 987 101 8015.

it is true that if they ignore the mild shock and run thru, they will stand on the other side waiting for help to come back. quite funny actually. then you have to drag them back as fast as possible or remove the collar.

i'm still gathering parts. will let you know when all together.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

I've always had dogs, but never used this device. However one of my best friends in the States tried it with his Labs and what happened was exactly what Hampster stated....the dogs intent on a squirrel or cat just blew through the small shock, but then when they leisurely tried to get back, they noticed the shock more and had to dragged back onto the property.

Nauticab I would never doubt your word on anything you post. This was just an incident that I personally witnessed. It was really quite a hoot.

Cozumel Diving

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

I am hoping for the best.

All I can do is stand with the controller in my hand, and say "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!"

and yes, I can see those two nitwit dogs of mine standing on the other side of the fence, shaking in their paws.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users