• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoGwenB

ChicagoGwenB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

I'm coming back to Coz for New Year's for about the 20th time, but bringing a newbie who would like to spend some time on the mainland. Figured we'd do that at the end and fly back out of Cancun. Can you recommend a fairly inexpensive, non-all-inclusive beachfront hotel somewhere between Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Morelos? Would rather avoid Cancun. We're not picky, just clean and on the water works for us.

Thanks so much!

Gwen

#2 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

Don't think inexpensive and beachfront exist in Playa any more. I think your only hope for that category is in Puerto Morelos. Very few of the hotels there have web sites, but there is a good listing and reviews on TripAdvisor.com. That is usually a very good source for hotels, anywhere.

We are planning on staying at Amar Inn in Puerto Morelos a week from today. We'll report back.

M

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

We stay in Playa at a little place called the Funky Garden Hotel down on 6th, about 5 blocks from the ferry...rooms are clean and basic, you get a cont. breakfast and they have a nice bar and beach. Costs about $50 per night. I think they have a website...just google the name.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

http://www.hotel-col...ml_en/index.php

This small, clean hotel is right on the beach in Playa del Carmen. It was $29.00/night when we stayed there about 6-7 years ago. Prices have gone up, but still I think a good deal considering the location. You won't find a less expensive hotel on the ocean right in town. When I stayed there...no Engligh was spoken.

#5 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Since I am a travel photographer, I am always on the lookout for new places. I could not find the Funky Garden Hotel in TripAdvisor, Google, English speaking or Mexican sites or elsewhere.

The Hotel Colibri is now $70 - $200 a night - cash. Add 4% for credit cards.

Playa has changed a lot in 6-7 years.

Anyone finding that hotel on the beach in PDC charging $50 a night. Please let me know.

M

#6 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

M. Check out Hotel Lab Nah we have stayed there a couple of times, just off the beach and just off Quinta, rates vary with the season. Free continental breakfast.

T.

Hotel Lab Nah
Calle 6 norte x 5ta Av. y ZFM(federal beach)
Playa del Carmen, México. CP. 77710
Ph. +52 (984) 873-2099
Fax. +52 (984) 879-4584
Email: reservations@labnah.com

Hotel Lab Nah: http://www.labnah.com/eng/home.html

#7 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

According to Hotel Colibri's website and rate chart: January 1st, 2011 ranges from $160 - $200 per night/Jan. 2 - 7, 2011 is $125 - $160/Jan. 8th thru 31st ranges from $85 - $120.00. Depending on how long you will stay on or past New Year's Eve, should should be able to get a decent rate (esp. if split between two people). Like I mentioned earlier, it's the cheapest beach front hotel in PDC that I know of.

#8 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

http://www.locogring...he pelicano inn

this looks like another good option

#9 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Sorry my mistake..must have been a blonde moment...
Its the FUSION Beach Hotel on 6th, about two blocks from 5th right on the beach.
They are offering rates at $63.75 per room including breakfast.
check them out..
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#10 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

We stayed at Hotel Lab Nah two years ago when we did the bag drag and it was very inexpensive and you could not have asked for a better location. It was less than 100 feet from the beach and about the same distance to fifth avenue and shopping. The rooms were nice and very clean with a great balcony overlooking the water. :D

#11 ChicagoGwenB

ChicagoGwenB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

You guys are great! Yes PDC has changed alot in the last decade. I'm still seeking that funky little beachtown atmosphere and it's becoming more and more elusive. Took my kids to Akumal last spring, we all liked that alot and they keep bugging me to go back. Raisin' em right. LOL.

mlfoto I'm really interested in your take on the Amar Inn. Drove past Puerto Morelos on numerous occasions but never stopped to explore.

Gwen

#12 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

Puerto Morelos feels like the PDC of 15 years ago. Small Halloween costume party for the kids in the square. Nice dinner at El Gaucho a block away.

Amar Inn is funky, but clean and comfortable. We had a corner room, no balcony, king bed, big TV that we didn't use. Two floor fans (good since the breeze died). Breakfast was decent coffee, fresh pineapple, local bread and muffin, breakast enchiladas with a green sauce and juice from a box. Hotel is on the water with nice gardens, hammocks and lounge chairs, but a house is being built between Amar and the ocean. It is a year off from completion, but the view could go away. Still, for 600 pesos, it was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users