• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Obviously nothing bad happens on Cozumel. My mistake.

#2 Fin74

Fin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hmmm...all I ever get offered with the AI plan is food or drinks :D

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

DON'T ASK FOR A SWIZZLE STICK...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

We are two females going to an AI on Cozumel. Wonder what's in store for us?? hmmm I'll be careful not to ask for swizzle sticks...

#5 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

TRUST me, no swizzle sticks, straws, full frontal nudity etc. were asked for!!!! It just seems to snowball from a nice conversation regarding the differences between living in Canada and Mexico to boob grabs and hair stroking!

Seriously though, is this normal??? :huh: And for the record, I'm "cute" rather than "hot" and I've only got 11 months until I'm 40...

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

of course it's NOT NORMAL, on any Planet!

Which AI was this again?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Allegro.

Other than the overly-friendly staff, it was a really good vacation. The hotel did a great job with the low-season "crowds" and they'd put us in one of the vacation club suites.

Just really curious as to why I'm garnering that kind of attention... :( The passes during broad daylight/sobriety were okay and non-threatening, but the night staff was really bad.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

You're a rubia, a blonde. Guys down here love rubias. You are also rich by their standards which would include you even if you are living on your social security checks from the US. Since you're with your husband?? the loose gringa woman badge that would be automatically assigned to you if you were travelling solo doesn't apply.

Just be cold and aloof with the sharkie boys and they'll get the message. Oh, I should also say that Mexican guyz tend to like their women a little zoftig, plump for sure,so rather than the additional pounds you mention being a deterrent, down here, it's considered very attractive by many.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Allegro is an upscale place...who, and why are these men waving their personal flags?

I guess I am not getting it...

I would have been at the Mangers desk in a heartbeat...

Of course, I am also wondering if this could possibly be true.

Anonymous

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

Actually, I've gotten the impression that Allegro is NOT an upscale place. At least two mass food poisoning episodes at the buffet spreads in the last couple of years if I'm not mistaken. And maybe I have the wrong AI?? I think it was Allegro. From what filters out to me Iberastar and Occidental Grande are considerably more upscale on the southern end of the island also. Allegro is kind of the Carnival cruise line of AI's.

#11 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

WHY the hell would I LIE about something like this? WTF?? :angry:

The Allegro is NOT upscale. It's about a 3* (and I doubt the allegations of food poisoning, quite frankly). It's not a dump, but it's not the Palace, either.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

okay, lets take a step back. .

What did you mean by the term Penises?

Where they exposed, or where they happy pants?

No resort that I know here would put up with that type of behavior, REGARDLESS OF IT'S RATING.

Sorry, but sometimes, some folks like to PUNK the readers.

But, your response to my question(s) for clarification was way over the top.

Anonymous

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

I don't imagine any one is accusing you of lying. A lot of regulars on the board live on the island so our information on the various AI's is somewhat limited. But we deal with Mexican men on a daily basis and the behavior you describe would be considered shocking in, say, the town of San Miguel. Sounds like some disrespectful chilangos, as they call big city wise guys from Mexico City, who come here to seek their fortune since they speak great English. They can be very abrasive and opportunistic.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

the person took their original post down...but frankly, for ANYBODY to sit there and allow ANYONE to expose themselves, as described in the post is not only obscene, but why would you sit there and be exposed to that type of behavior, and NOT report it to management???

Food poisoning...anywhere people are, food poisoning can happen. Buffet are notorious for poisoning. It may not always be the food worker who is to blame. Anyone who touches the handle of the ladle, who didn't wash their hands can spread anything.

Cruise ships go through this ALL the time.

Something is wrong here...

Anonymous

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

I thought she was speaking figuratively of men exposing themselves. If not, then can we say ewwwwww? And I can believe something like that might happen under the right circumstances. Especially since I viewed a Youtube video awhile back that showed the shenianigans that go on at Senor Frogs or maybe it was Carlos and Charles. There's a 'set piece' apparently, where they blindfold a customer, pour booze down their throats, shake their heads hard and grab their boobs and jiggle them around. The vids I saw it was only women doing this to women. But still...kind of going down the same road as exposing yourself in my admittedly somewhat prunish opinion.

#16 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Wasn't it the Wyndham that had problems with food poisoning a while back? Wasn't it also the Wyndham where people said that half of the resort was going "clothing optional?" I could be wrong about this - my memory isn't what it used to be.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Desmei, I think your tale needed to be told. And I sure applaud your bravery! If guys are parading their junk around, it needs to be reported. Sexual harassment is sexual harassment. If someone waves their swizzle stick in Grandma's face it is still sexual harassment. I cannot imagine the local guys doing that, would go with Carey's theory about the chillangos from MX City. So sorry you had a bad experience.

#18 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

I don't understand how/why anyone would doubt what was reported. Perhaps Desmei was being a bit too Canadian polite. Perhaps a different nationality attitude would have been appropriate, say Ecuadorian. Can anyone say Lorena Bobbitt? Go get your own needle and thread and try to sew it back on.

Don't fault her for the message, she probably should have complained to management, got them immediately fired and if they were lucky, they might have bus fare back to wherever they came from. The whole nature of these all inclusive resorts, they help the economy here by providing jobs for locals as maids and gardeners. Most of the locals with superior English skills have better jobs, so they tend to hire people from off the island in many of their English dependent positions.

I am not surprised at her report, things are slow enough that they could risk being a little more blatant. If the resort was even half full, too many others might see and if she didn't report it, someone else would. I can see a bit of possible shock and amusement, am I seeing this, is it really happening, if it wasn't offensive, it might be funny as a joke.

People don't like to discuss the other sides of tourism and the whole Riviera Maya was gaining a reputation for sexual tourism to rival Thailand. It is more open for men with legal prostitution, but a fair number of "very proper" ladies come down here to live out their fantasies with the secure knowledge that whatever happens in Cozumel, stays in Cozumel and just doesn't count. I remember when AIDS/HIV SIDA testing came to the island and all the waiters from Carlos and Charlie's were required to be tested. You could have made a fortune selling Valium for the week they had to wait out the test results. Talking about waiters sweating it out.

A big, buxom blond and rich too! You're talking Goddess here, not a hot chic, but a stop dead in your tracks with your mouth open. And did I say rich? They must be rich. Time to go for broke, throw yourself at their feet, grovel, a chance of a lifetime. Goddess let me lick your boots like a worm and take me home. My guess given the extreme low in occupancy, a goodly bunch of more reliable staff could well be on vacation. You might have been "exposed" to the second string of employees.

I have long thought at some of these isolated all inclusive resorts, in a sense, single women are going to be more obvious targets than in a public place. A husband, boyfriend or partner might be just around the corner if you were downtown. You're walking around with a big sign, I am blond, I am beautiful and I might, I just might be available as I am unattached at the moment. They wouldn't imagine that you were a female polygamist Mormon and had three husbands that you kept working to support you and send you on your vacation.

Desmei had three options, ignore it (pretend it isn't happening and it'll go away), go to management and have what would evolve into a stormy accusation, with hopes they would be fired on the spot (as they should), but a confrontation with management wasn't going to be pleasant and regardless of which way and the outcome, it most likely would have spoiled the remainder of her trip. My personal suggestion as to the best choice would have been to put on a bit of fresh lipstick, shake your blond trusses, walk up real sexy like, show them the steak knife you picked up from the restaurant neatly folded in a towel and "hey big boy, wanna try being a small boy again", "are you good with a needle and thread"?

I am not sure what honestly would have been the best choice for the OP, it is not something that anyone should have to be subjected to while on their vacation. To their credit, they were somewhat passive and didn't go for an outright assault. It must have been 12 years since at the Reef Club, during slow season, the bartender and waiter slipped a "roofie" in a single lady's drink out on the beach. Since it was soon after midnight, they had several hours to have their way with her, should I use the R word or U.S.E. (unplanned sexual event) and have plenty of time to catch the early morning ferry back to their pueblos before she was discovered after dawn, still passed out from the effects of the drug. Charges were filed against them, they did get picked up in their home state, but since there was no extradition system and the victim did not come forward with all the costs of transportation to send two policeman to bring them back, they were released and got off scott free. The victim should not have needed to come up with the costs of bus and ferry tickets to bring those that assaulted her back to face justice.

Desmei certainly should have done something, I am not sure what, but given her reception here, she's certainly less likely to want to stick her neck out and make statements that will be unpopular in some places. Now my guess is there are some guys out there that feel like this is behaviour which might be tolerated. I just hope the next time they run into Lorena Bobbitt's cousin.

#19 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

"go to management and have what would evolve into a stormy accusation"

That is exactly what would happen, but it would happen as I was checking out. Then I could give a flip about how stormy it gets. The stormier the better!

I'd raise a great big huge stink, telling 'em I was gonna go on Tripadvisor and everywhere else I could find on the interwebs and tell the whole world about it unless they fire the offending individual(s) on the spot.

Then I'd be on my way, never to return.

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

I have been thinking about this situation all day.

I hope that Desmei responds to what I am proposing.

What you described,should NEVER, EVER happen. I don't care what color your hair is, or if you are rich or poor.

This has really bothered me to the point that I am more then willing to go to the Allegro, on your behalf and discuss this situation, and what took place.

Nobody has the right to violate your space, no one has the right to sexually harass you...if it wasn't YOU, who would be the next victim.

Desmei, understand my prospective (if only for an instant)your statements I took at first as a prank. It sounded to me like...guys in speedo's. But, based upon your response, I realized, it wasn't "punking the reader".

If you provide me with the dates, names, and times and willing to work with me, this will not happen again, at least NOT in Cozumel.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users