• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Don B

Don B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi, all. Can anyone give me a feel for the level of concern in the town of Progresso? We will be there in a few days on a cruise stop, and with the recent news of border town crime and violence, some co-workers have prompted me to inquire about Progresso. We have been to Cozumel nearly 20 times, and I feel more comfortable in Cozumel than in most American cities. But info on Progresso would be helpful. We are not booking an excursion there, is walking around town going to be safe?
Thanks so much!!

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Progreso is as safe as Cozumel and the beaches are in town......., has good bars. Eladio's is a good place to spend a couple of hours in the heat of the day.... Do some more homework on line.

T.

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I was in Progresso last Feb and felt very safe. The day I was there it was windy & cool on the beach, but 1 block away it was calm & hot... go figure. Had a nice lunch with my Spanish school friends and instructors... we had the freshest tasting whole fried fish. The cruise ship people give a nice (& needed) economic boost to that little beach town... don't worry.

Note: Nice shop on a corner in town featuring Guatamalan woven fabrics, bags etc.. run by a padre. No hard sell. His profits go to supporting education/health care for the villagers. I saw similar items elsewhere in Merida and Playa del Carmen but at much higher prices.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users