• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jbsdad88

jbsdad88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

I would appreciate suggestion about where we might be able to get 2 decent bikes.....used ok. Is there a bike shop on the island. One for 5'2" woman, one for 6'2" male. Upright cruiser perferred.

#2 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

I don't believe you can get a quality bike on the island I did hear that on the mainland you might be able to.

Ron

#3 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:19 AM

I've been researching the same thing online and not having much success. All I have found so far are a couple of cruisers at Walmart in Playa for around 2200 pesos. Elektra shows they have some mountain bikes for around the same. The cruisers have steel frames & don't have very high remarks. Steel apparently rusts very quickly there. In the US, I have found two different brands of cruisers at Walmart for $100 that have aluminum frames...both men's & womens styles. Continental charges $100 to take a bike as luggage, so they would net out close to the same as the cruisers at the Playa walmart. I've checked them out & they are decent, but not great....built in China, but they are comfortable. Next step up would be a Micargi or Firmstrong from one of the online shops in the States, and their Aluminum bikes are $75-$100 higher. Don't know if I want to go that high, because of MY question...........

What is bike theft like in Cozumel & what is the likelihood of them getting stolen if we ride down to the beach or market. What would be the best way to limit the possibility? I feel safe there, but I don't know if my bikes do.... :D

Mike

#4 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

I have been cycling on the island for years and limit myself to around town with the exception of heading out further on Sundays when traffic is lighter. I purchased what is likely just a standard bike at the MotoCross on 30th. The climate is very tough on the bikes, it is stored under a tarp and in a garage but still rusted quickly. I would estimate the bike is about 8 years old now, and repairs have been minor, and prices for repair have been extremely reasonable. For example, I had a leak in the inner tube of my bicycle tire a few months back, a friend took me to some little hole in the wall place and it cost a grand total of 30 pesos to fix. A tip is always appreciated. It is vital to have a very good lock for those times you may want to take it to the beach or elsewhere. If you take it to Chedraui or Mega, you just give the bike to the attendant and they give you a little square with a number and you return the number when you claim the bike and tip a few pesos. They watch the bike and I guess it is one of those unwritten rules - as far as I know, no one has ever had their bike stolen using this method. At other stores such as Soriana, ISSSTE, I just ensure my bike is locked and never had a problem. I have locked my bike in the square while doing some shopping and locked it in front of Los Cinco Soles as well. Some stores are even fine with you bringing the bike into their premises, as long as you are not blocking egress. It is a great way to get around and explore the different areas.

Valli

#5 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

I bought a ladies bike from the bike store on 30th about 18 months ago...rode it a few times and its now been sitting...it needs new inner tubes as with the heat of the past summer, they are fried, but the bike in general is in good shape and I am 5'1" so it would work well for your wife...any money I get from it will be donated to Susan Bonnett's kids program for Kings day in January 2011. This is a very worthy cause. call me at 869-2627 if you want to come over and check it out...
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#6 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the info Valli!

8 years on your bike.....I might have to rethink what I need. I was under the impression they would be trashed after 6 months. I can justify depreciating it over a few years rather than hassle with hauling 2 bikes down.....plus it will help the economy to purchase on island. If we are going to spend time with the great folks there, I'd prefer to contribute to the economy as much as possible.

Do you just run a lock cable between the wheel & frame or do you lock it to something solid? I wonder if they are going to let you lock to the soon to be parking meters on Meglar.

Sailsgal....we won't be down till March, so if the original OP doesn't buy your bike & you still have it, we will get n touch.

Thanks All!

Mike

#7 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info Valli!

8 years on your bike.....I might have to rethink what I need. I was under the impression they would be trashed after 6 months. I can justify depreciating it over a few years rather than hassle with hauling 2 bikes down.....plus it will help the economy to purchase on island. If we are going to spend time with the great folks there, I'd prefer to contribute to the economy as much as possible.

Do you just run a lock cable between the wheel & frame or do you lock it to something solid? I wonder if they are going to let you lock to the soon to be parking meters on Meglar.

Sailsgal....we won't be down till March, so if the original OP doesn't buy your bike & you still have it, we will get n touch.

Thanks All!

Mike

#8 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Regardless of whether you bring or buy here. The best thing you could bring from the US would be some teflon lube spray, available at any good bike shop. It will help immensely with protecting the moving parts. I don't think it is an item that you will find here.

#9 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

Regardless of whether you bring or buy here. The best thing you could bring from the US would be some teflon lube spray, available at any good bike shop. It will help immensely with protecting the moving parts. I don't think it is an item that you will find here.

Another great idea I wouldn't have thought of!

To the OP....noticed in the current Mega circular that they have a 24" womens urban bike on sale. Not a true cruiser, as it is a multi-speed, but has a basket & rear rack and is under 2000P. Would be a good size for your wife @ 5'2.

Mike

#10 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

I purchased a good lock at the Motocross as well. At that time it was about 8 dollars US. It has a fairly long cable, so easy to wrap around a pole or concrete post. Otherwise, when there are bike racks available (ISSTE, San Francisco, etc.), I just put the cable thrugh the spokes and around the wheel and rack and it is very secure. At the time of purchase of the bike, I paid about 100 dollars US, so I certainly got my money's worth. They put on a better seat for me at no charge and I also have a good basket attached for groceries, etc.

Valli

#11 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hi budaman. I bought my bike here but my husband hauled one down from Canada. I found the seats very uncomfortable so brought a replacement down. Also lights, mirrors etc. Squirt it regularly with WD-40. As far as locking - I just lock the rear wheel to the frame when I'm out and about in public areas and when at home I keep it behind locked gates.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#12 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:27 AM

I brought two down five years ago on the back of a car. They were both purchased from Wal Mart. The 18 speed was already several years old and the one speed ladies cruiser was a new purchase. Just put a new tube in the ladies bike in September. Both now have some rust and wear in a few places. Just now time for some new tires. Kept both in the house. Added aftermarkets baskets and more cushy seats.

If they had been left outside in the weather no doubt they would be piles of rust. Rinse them off, spray them down with lube, WD-40., teflon lube, etc. and keep them out of the weather and they should last a good while.

#13 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

There's a bike shop on 50 bis or 55 between 12 & 14 (? Does anyone have a better idea of location?!) that sells cruisers at several price/quality points.

WD-40 is all you need for general protection -- be sure to spray brake & gear cables if your bike has them as well as wipe oil on the spokes & nipples as the salt air corrodes those fairly quickly. Just be careful not to get it on the tires and brake shoes. However, WD-40 is not a chain lube. For our conditions, an oil-based lube works best on chains and doesn't require frequent re-application.

Bicycle theft is a growing problem here -- I've heard of more bikes stolen from private property (homes) than off the street. If you bring only one thing from home, make it a thick cable lock or u-lock as the thin cables sold here offer little protection. Capture the frame & rear wheel in the lock and lock to a secure object whenever possible. (Make sure the signpost you plan to lock to has a sign on top of it!) Depending on the materials used in the lock's mechanism, occasionally squirt some WD-40 or silicone lube in there to prevent it from jamming.

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

deb knows what she is talking about. tony from scuba tony (who used to be a bike shop junkie) uses silicon spray on his bikes (including his tri bike) that is found at scuba repair. says it lasts forever. i bought a wax lube at the bike shop in the states and generously lube my chain and spokes (carbon fiber road bike) after cleaning and between rides with any rain or puddles. no problems. preclean chain with WD40.
i bought an aluminum mountain bike about 5 years ago from bicimoto (?) in front of the gas station on 30th. chain is substandard, but the rest is fine. been sitting OUTSIDE for the past 2 years with hardly any use. just needs a good tune up and should be fine again. this one i bought for almost $3000 pesos i believe. it was more expensive since the spokes are also all aluminum.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#15 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

Nauti - I HOPE your spokes are stainless (vs galvanized steel, which is standard & OK, too.)! :rolleyes:
Aluminum isn't suited to that application...

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

regarding my mountain bike, you are prob right, stainless. they have zero rust on them. yeah, thrashing on skinny aluminum spokes on a mtn bike wouldn't be too smart!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#17 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

I use Tri-flo for my chain lube with good results. It is better as a lube than WD40, but not as good as Deb's secret sauce I am told. I bring the Tri-flo in from the states. My bikes stay indoors and our aluminum bikes have only had minor rust on some nuts that had the chrome knocked off. The dry PTFE chain lube doesn't seem to fight rust, or at least not on my US based MTB's.

I brought two bikes from the states in bike boxes. It was always considered as a piece of luggage on USAir and I never paid a fee. Heck, I've brought six bike boxes down on 6 different occasions. Two actually held bikes. The rest held bulky items.

If I were you, I'd buy a good used bike on craigslist, bring extra parts you will need: pump, tires, tire irons, chain repair kit, etc. Pay the fee if you have to, but get a better bike than what is sold on the island. Then get a heavy cable lock.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users