Photo

wanted: Long term furnished rental winter (at least)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:18 AM

:D
Looking for furnished 1 or 2 BR home/apt. to rent for winter 2010/11. I will be staying on the Island for 1 week beggining Sun. 28 Nov.specifically to look for suitable affordable accomodations. If found, will give/make commitment and return in 3-5 weeks to move in.

I am middle aged responsible professional male that will pay my bills...can do repairs if needed (if tools can be barrowed). I take pride in caring for property,(whether mine or yours). I am Looking for a not too noisy furnished place, w/ac at least in bedroom, parking & or garage at property. Internet acccess or availibilty is essential and maybe TV.

I am a long time visitor to the Island (since 1981), own a lot there, but no house yet.

Looking for total expenses after electric & water and internet for the rental property in the $400-$600 range.

Also,(big ask I know) looking for some kinda way to make a litle spending cash )legally,of course, while I finish my scuba instructor cert. as well as a long term rental car or used car purchase.
I was property manager for a resort for 20 plus years where we would check in as amnay as 7000/night.
Also, I have been in the advertising businees for the last 10.

Thanks for reading my post!
Oh, I will most likely have my cell phone with USA number while there for the last week in Nov.-early Dec. I will also have computer,I think, or call Villa Blanca and leave a msg for me with front desk....They know me as Cary.

703-403-2553 cell

Sunshine makes me happy!

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Lots of one bedroom apartments available and $600 would be a good low end price to include all that you want. Check in the area you want to live in. If Internet and/or cable is not included and active, check with Cablemas to confirm it is available. It would help to have a copy of an electric bill as that supplies the specific address. Unless people have a vonage or Internet calling, no one will want to call a U.S. cell phone. I don't know your receiving costs, but it'll could cost the caller big time.

There are a huge number of vacant apartments and can be all over the map figuratively and literally. There are some good values and there are some that are priced without any contact with reality of values. Look at all the household essentials included or lacking. Just setting up a kitchen and assorted linens for a household can be an investment. Fair priced and good value places stay rented or have rapid rental. Some of the better valued places might be the smaller, geared to more one person, more of a large studio in the $350 to $400 dollar range. Six month rentals are normal for short term rentals although the wiser ones are open to take what they can get. It is a renters market, but a lot to sift through.

You need to have an ATM card for obtaining living expenses as cash dollars have limited use at close to true exchange rates and debit card costs can add up to 5%. Using cash will cost 5-8% which can add up over a six month period. Do your homework on that one.

Forget earning extra money. You wont be able to buy a used car on a FMM tourist visa and a long term rental will cost more than your housing budget. If you have budget considerations, probably ditch the U.S. cell phone while here and stay away from all gringo night spots and watering holes that can easily add $150-200 dollars weekly to your budget. If you are serious about a future here, embrace the local Mexican culture, learn the language and live as they do. Successful people are usually those with good emotional independence and adaptive to other cultural experiences.

#3 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks Charles!
Sunshine makes me happy!

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

Although I'm only a vacation visitor, I bought an inexpensive Nokia cell phone at a Telcel store in Coz 2+ years ago and love it! It is so handy to have - you only fill the airtime as you need it so easy to control costs. If you want people to call you back in Coz, you need to have one of these. Texting is also very common there as it costs even less than phone calls. And, I've used it (w/the Cozumel #) in different parts of Mexico and it works fine.

Charles, I'm curious as to where one would find these budget rental apartments listed. I see "room for rent" signs when I cruise around, but are apt rentals generally found grouped in 1 place? Such as listed in the paper? Internet site like Craig's list? Are you referring Cary to a Real Estate office or ?

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for the budget comment, I used to get bashed for suggesting anything over $250 dollars. And actually there are a few decent places in the under $3,000 peso range, but simple rooms and without AC and Internet. One place is to watch this forum, there have been some good value places listed here, but here or anywhere, the good value places get rented quickly. I have looked online at property management listings and have seen good price/value listings. I have seen other listings that were a complete waste of time, dumps that I wouldn't kennel dogs in for $500. Other nice places, but too small for two people in the $350-400 dollar range. You may have to supply your own cable TV and Internet, Cablemas if available runs about $40 dollars a month for decent basic cable TV and high speed Internet.

There are a lot of small places with a real shortage of medium size. By medium, small two bedroom or very large sized one bedroom and then the next jump in size is to three bedroom, three bath with pool. I am picky, I want nearly new or recently remodeled. I can't take mold and mildew which is very common here. I really need clean and mildew free furniture. I don't want to look at much with any age as few have had regular maintenance and upgrades. There are a lot of one bedroom places though small, when new they were nice, but ten year old cheap furniture and appliances are junk. I am also picky about the neighborhoods, I want convenience and quiet. Nothing within six blocks of Moby Dicks for example. Cantinas in the day time might be loud, but then they are closed before dark. Nice quiet block except for the restaurant that has live music two night a week until 2:00AM. I don't want roosters nor peacocks close by, nor streets that flood every time it rains.

A cheap Nokia cell phone is essential and it will really help to speak Spanish to get through to the person in charge. Chances are good a person you'll want to rent from will speak English. The last five places I have rented, the owners all spoke English. One Mexican was a U.S. college graduate, 100% fluent, better than my Spanish and another Mexicana, I had three days of making the deal and getting her to draw up the contract all in Spanish. When I saw her last name I knew who she was, "Oh my, you speak better English than I do Spanish", I remarked. She said she thought I could speak English, but she wasn't sure. If you call a cell number listed, there might be an 80% chance of needing to speak Spanish at least enough to find out when to call back. A person could go weeks or months looking for the perfect place. If you find something that meets all your essential requirements, rent it.

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

Just wondering...does anyone know anything about the rooms that used to be for rent (years ago) above the restaurant La Morena?

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

Just wondering...does anyone know anything about the rooms that used to be for rent (years ago) above the restaurant La Morena?

I don't know, I have never seen them. I have seen for rent signs in recent history, could have been last year and that didn't stay up for long. This is the type of place I'd be real suspicious and cautious. Its age means solid concrete and potential mildew/mold problems and could be hot as hell. It could be fine. I'd want to check it in the middle of the afternoon on a hot day and even if it wasn't too hot then, come back after dark and see if it is hotter. This is the type of place that could (maybe, maybe not) cost you an extra $50 dollars a month in fluid replacement from excessive sweating and $200 dollars a month in air conditioning costs while still wondering if you might die from heat. The new construction materials eliminate about 90% of the heat.

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

Good points. We saw them brand new in 2005. Thanks for your reply.

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Good points. We saw them brand new in 2005. Thanks for your reply.

If they were new in 2005, they could have the new construction materials (at least on the roof), I don't know how noisy it might be. I sort of like the location if everything else is OK. Look on the outside with a lot of places. Many of the original apartments built in the 1980s look like hell on the outside and haven't had much in the way of maintenance. The newer from the 1990s are real so so. There are only a handful of older places that were built well and well maintained. Just for example, the apartments on avenue 15 just north of Juarez (entrance next to rustico furniture), that landlord is one of the best, very professional and intelligently managed. He keeps them all rented. For low end, dirt cheap, but no dirt, the Carybeth(?) on calle 4 between avenue 5 & 10 (across from La Veranda restaurant) cost under $300 dollars (maybe $3,000 pesos?) and good value. They don't offer a lot, no AC, no cable TV, but very good security, a real no nonsense strict landlord. No party people, no pets, if something needs fixing, it gets done the same day. Bigger complexes hold the risk of one inconsiderate neighbor, with two large dogs and likes to party all night can ruin the whole neighborhood. I'm in my ninth rental and I only have had two neighbors that irritated me, both with roosters and they were soon eaten (the chickens not the people).

#10 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

try P am she has two rental casitas I think one is taken but you can get her here pjgoris thats on this site

#11 CozumelMike

CozumelMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

I have one of 6 one bedroom apartments available... It is a bit more than semi furnished, it comes with Cable and internet and water... The AC is in the bedroom... I charge 3,600 pesos plus electricity with a 2,000 peso deposit... These apartments are located on 65 Bis entre 8 and 10 Norte... If you would like more information or I can send you a link to see some photos just e-mail me at CozumelMike@Hotmail.com

Regards,

Michael

#12 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replies for helping to find an aparartment. I found the perect place on day 3 of my search and told the caretaker to contact the owner for the next day to rent it. Unfortunaately, when I did get in touch with the owner, he had rented it just one hour prior to my phone call. So, As Charles had said in an earlier post here,"if you find a place that you like, rent it!" It is high season, and places go quickly.

There are many places to rent on the Island and I looked at many. One problem is getting in touch with the owners. Have a pen and paper as you search because you will see many signs with phone numbers to call on properties for rent. If you have a cell phone, try calling when you are in front of the building. Often times someone will answer and send someone to show it or set an appointment to do so. Speaking Spanish or having someone with you that does will help when you do make your phone calls.

All that being said, I found a very nice small (BRAND NEW) apartment near town, on day 8 of my search, that is on a quiet street for a good price. I was given a local adervtising pamphlet which listed about 15 places to rent. Sorry I do not remeber the name of it. I left it in my apartment on the Island. I will return at the end of the month, so if anyone wants the name of it you can contact me then by e mail or here on the forum.
Sunshine makes me happy!

#13 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

Glad you were able to find a place that meets your needs. Welcome to the island!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users