#1 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

I thought I would share my experience with those who read the forums here.

My husband and I move to Cozumel in 20 days (YES I'm counting). We do already have property and utilities in my name. I had heard such stories about the hassle involved in getting an FM3 that I thought I'd do what I could to make it easier on us.

We went to the Mexican Consulate in Houston (NOTE: you cannot take a cell phone into the building). I had with me our marriage license (make a copy), 1 copy of each passport, 1 passport photo for each of us, the copy of my Telmex bill with my name on it, and the most recent 3 months of our bank statements notarized. We went upstairs to the waiting room and were the only ones there. I went to one window, he to the other. They took our documents, briefly looked them over, then sent us downstairs to the cashier to pay our $134 each and come back. When we went back upstairs, we were individually called into the office, verified our date of birth, took a photo, and did the fingerprint scan. Waited about 5 minutes and were called to get our passport - in it on one pae is a huge stamp that looks kind of like the page with your photo on it. We are to take that to Immigration in Cozumel within 30 days of arrival with our infantil photos "to exchange for the FM3 card."

So far this is a piece of cake. It took us 30-45 minutes in Houston. We'll see what happens in Cozumel!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#2 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

In some states they do not except just bank accounts you need to show social security or pension statements. Each consulate goes by their own rules

#3 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

I did this a little while ago exchange my FM-3 receipt from Texas to the actual FM-3 card in Cozumel,within the
required 30 days of the issue of the FM-3 receipt in Texas.

This is what Cozumel asked and you would do this from your home computer, before going to Cozumel immigration office.

To go on the website page: http://www.inm.gob.m...tud_de_Estancia

on the first prompt you will choose: canje o reposicion de forma migratioria

on the second one you will choose: canje

The you will fill up your info: appellidos (Last Name)
Nombre (name)
so on and so forth, at the end of the page you will click on "guardar" (save)

Once completed,(make sure your computer allows pop up, before you start filling up the form), so in a pop up window you will get a "pieza" number,
it is very important that you write this number, and print (imprimir) the page, it will be your file number. Then you will go to Cozumel immigration
with your pieza number printed page form, a copy of every pages of your passport (not only the photo page), no other copy of documents needed (you already gave all those to the consulate in Houston) and they will give you a password number (contrasena). You will use your "pieza" and the given password number "contrasena" to check the status on your application on line:
http://www.inm.gob.m...ento_de_Tramite

About one week after receiving your password and submitting all pages of your passport, you will see some instructions. For me it was to pass
by the immigration office to take and confirm a time and date for the actual Fm-3 card. (Do not forget to bring the printed page that they would have handed to you on your first visit (the one with your password (contrasena) on it). My appointment was set for about 5 days after that.

On that day you will need the "infantil" size photos. They will make the card on the spot. It has to be signed by the "jefe".
Once signed you will be getting your card. For me it was the same day.

The whole process took about 14 days.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

If you are leaving in 20 days, you will be arriving after the immigration office is closed for the holidays. Anybody's guess when they'll open back up in January and it could possibly be as late as January 11. Get yourself right in there as soon as they reopen. Expect a potential of 3 or more trips to the office as a distinct possibility and don't plan to leave Mexico for 6 weeks minimum as that could be how long it takes to process your papers.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, contact Monica Sauza and pay her to help you with this. It will avoid the potential of many trips to the office for the various copies and other surprises that may possibly be sprung at you at the local office. Also I'm fairly sure there is right now no one in the immigration office who speaks more than a few words of English now that Carmenita has moved to immigration at the airport.

Travel safely and welcome to the island

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Fabulously detailed and helpful reply, lovecoz! Thanks so much for sharing. This will help a whole lot of people. Although anyone reading this 3 months or more from now should also check with the migracion office to see what may have changed. I don't believe in 11 years they have ever had exactly the same requirements two years running.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

The major changes that went into effect earlier this year have been a long time coming. Its whole intended purpose is to streamline the process and bring consistency to the requirements. Again, I have no experience with rentista FM3s, only work and business that have different requirements. I don't know how they will handle the jefe signing the card as he is not always in the office. My guess is it might well be the same day, with luck you might walk in and walk out with your new laminated credential, picture ID. Remember no more passport style books.

Typically the INM office has always closed for Christmas and doesn't do FM3 work for a period. The worst time to have as a start date is in late December, early January. Kandy should be fine with her 20 days, but I'd go quickly. I'd expect the office to be closed no later than December 17th (could be earlier) and might not reopen for business until January 10th. January 6th is definitely a holiday and since it is on a Thursday this year, they may not open until the following Monday.

Essential services are handled by the airport office during this period, but I doubt any of this could be handled there. Once you have the picture ID, it should make for things being way easier for renewals. I'm not sure if they can be completed totally online. I have only seen one working FM3, none of the new rentista type. "Most" of the fluctuating regulations and interpretations should soon become a thing of the past. This has only been in effect now for barely six months, it seems to be working, but I am sure a few bugs will be worked out. Again, the whole goal has been to simplify and make the process more inviting and friendly. I have only seen positive comments on the Internet application process.

#7 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

Can someone tell me what the acronym CURP stands for on the form? I think I have everything else figured out.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Sorry I haven't seen all these posts - not sure why since I'm on here daily.

Anyway, we arrived as scheduled on December 7. On December 15, eight days later, we had our appointment and received our FM3s. We DID enlist the help of Monica and she is wonderful. Just to add to what I read above... we DID need copies of the most recent 3 months of bank statements (this is a Mexico thing, nothing to do with the state of residence in the US) and a copy of a recent utility bill showing your name and address (they accepted my Telmex bill). It really was painless.

I don't know what CURP stands for. What I WILL say about the new card is that you'd better get a pair of reading glasses... the print is unbelievably miniscule!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Can someone tell me what the acronym CURP stands for on the form?

The Unique Population Registry Code (Spanish: Clave Única de Registro de Población, CURP) is a unique identity code for both citizens and residents of Mexico. Each CURP code is a unique alphanumeric 18-character string intended to prevent duplicate entries. http://en.wikipedia....n_Registry_Code If you have an FM3, you're assigned a CURP

#10 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

The Unique Population Registry Code (Spanish: Clave Única de Registro de Población, CURP) is a unique identity code for both citizens and residents of Mexico. Each CURP code is a unique alphanumeric 18-character string intended to prevent duplicate entries. http://en.wikipedia....n_Registry_Code If you have an FM3, you're assigned a CURP

Ah, OK. So if I don't have one, then I just leave that part of the form blank, eh?
Marg Moran McQuinn

#11 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

Just returned from the immigration office. We followed the steps below but were told that the info on first and second prompt is incorrect. We need to put something else in but I don't know what it is. Also that all the income statements need to be translated into Spanish. Oh well, we head back to Canada in a few weeks so will try working with the Mexican embassy there.

Hi,

I did this a little while ago exchange my FM-3 receipt from Texas to the actual FM-3 card in Cozumel,within the
required 30 days of the issue of the FM-3 receipt in Texas.

This is what Cozumel asked and you would do this from your home computer, before going to Cozumel immigration office.

To go on the website page: http://www.inm.gob.m...tud_de_Estancia

on the first prompt you will choose: canje o reposicion de forma migratioria

on the second one you will choose: canje

The you will fill up your info: appellidos (Last Name)
Nombre (name)
so on and so forth, at the end of the page you will click on "guardar" (save)

Once completed,(make sure your computer allows pop up, before you start filling up the form), so in a pop up window you will get a "pieza" number,
it is very important that you write this number, and print (imprimir) the page, it will be your file number. Then you will go to Cozumel immigration
with your pieza number printed page form, a copy of every pages of your passport (not only the photo page), no other copy of documents needed (you already gave all those to the consulate in Houston) and they will give you a password number (contrasena). You will use your "pieza" and the given password number "contrasena" to check the status on your application on line:
http://www.inm.gob.m...ento_de_Tramite

About one week after receiving your password and submitting all pages of your passport, you will see some instructions. For me it was to pass
by the immigration office to take and confirm a time and date for the actual Fm-3 card. (Do not forget to bring the printed page that they would have handed to you on your first visit (the one with your password (contrasena) on it). My appointment was set for about 5 days after that.

On that day you will need the "infantil" size photos. They will make the card on the spot. It has to be signed by the "jefe".
Once signed you will be getting your card. For me it was the same day.

The whole process took about 14 days.

Marg Moran McQuinn

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Why don't you get Monica Sauza to help you? Especially if it's your first FM3 and/or you don't speak Spanish. She's worth the money and if there isn't time to get it done before you leave, she'll be honest enough to tell you that.

#13 John D

John D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Boating, Hunting and Travel

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Why don't you get Monica Sauza to help you? Especially if it's your first FM3 and/or you don't speak Spanish. She's worth the money and if there isn't time to get it done before you leave, she'll be honest enough to tell you that.

Carey is right talk with Monica. We emailed Monica Monday night about helping us with our first time FM3 process, Tuesday morning she replied. She is very responsive and professional, Monica was honest and told us that we would probably not have enough time to finalize the FM3 process, when we come down at the end of the month to sign the paper work for our home.

We will be using her when we return in July.

#14 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

I went through the whole process by myself last December-January....definitely use Monica. The people at immigracion are very nice and helpful but it is took twice as long and frustrated me to no end.........

Tina

#15 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

I myself think it is very simple and stright forwrd. I used an auto translator for my verifications. The staff even rewrote a statement for me and I just ran home and retyped it. I think it took a total of 13 days. The computer application makes it easy.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

It can be a struggle, work with Monica.

I did mine once...never again. It take up to much time, and I don't want to waste it going back and forth umpteen times to immigrations.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#17 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

A friend of ours, with the help of a local who speaks Spanish, got his first ever fm3 in a total of 7 days! He was very happy!

#18 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yes the computer thing really makes it easy. Knowing what paperwork and verifications helps, but they have a list at Immigration and the employees there are super helpful. Work FM3 is a little more work but it helps if it is an established company already on record with them. I have done both on my own with little difficulty.

#19 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Kandy,
My wife and I just went through a similar process in Boston only we were told that we needed to go to Cancun to pick up our cards. Any thoughts on this? Also were you informed, besides the photos, if you needed to bring anything else to the immigration office? I appreciate your time. Best Regards, John

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

The suggestion you were given to go to Cancun to apply is completely absurd. They have no idea what they're talking about in Boston if they told you that.

There is a Cozumel immigration office and if you are planning to base yourself here on the island, this is where you need to apply and where all the work will be handled. If you were going to base in Cancun, then, yes, Cancun oficina de migracion. Basing in Playa? Playa del Carmen oficina de migracion.

I'd email Monica and pay her to walk you through it. It's irritating to do yourself even when you've done it for years and know the ropes pretty well because they change the rules every year in some annoying way, it seems. But doing it for the first time, you will save yourself a lot of sweaty frustration to just hire Monica. She will tell you exactly what to do and is well worth the moolah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users