Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

John:

I agree with Carey - contact Monica (mosag@prodigy.net.mx)!

I just this week cleaned out papers and threw out that list, but this is what I remember...
most recent 3 months of bank statements
copy of passport
copy of electric bill from our residence in Cozumel
copy of marriage license (we have different names)

I think that's it, John. Monica knows the ropes completely, though, so I would encourage you to e-mail her. I can tell you that when we renew, we're going to use her services again. She just made the whole thing seamless on this end. Besides, the laws changed again and the FM3 is no more... it's now something else. You just go with the flow down here ;)

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#22 Agnes62

Agnes62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

You all need to get together and offer a class people could take - a half day class explaining how to buy real estate, how to move personal items, how to get an FM3, car insurance, medical, etc. Such a wealth of information!

#23 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

The suggestion you were given to go to Cancun to apply is completely absurd. They have no idea what they're talking about in Boston if they told you that.

There is a Cozumel immigration office and if you are planning to base yourself here on the island, this is where you need to apply and where all the work will be handled. If you were going to base in Cancun, then, yes, Cancun oficina de migracion. Basing in Playa? Playa del Carmen oficina de migracion.

I'd email Monica and pay her to walk you through it. It's irritating to do yourself even when you've done it for years and know the ropes pretty well because they change the rules every year in some annoying way, it seems. But doing it for the first time, you will save yourself a lot of sweaty frustration to just hire Monica. She will tell you exactly what to do and is well worth the moolah.

Kandy,
Thank you for the information. Do you happen to have an e-mail address for Monica? Is it Monica Sauza? I am new to this board. Thanks Again, John

#24 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

John:

Yes, it's Monica Sauza. I included her e-mail in my earlier post above in parentheses. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have if I can.

Kandy

#25 strucman

strucman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone have any information regarding the new proposed immigration laws in Mexico. I saw an article at Yucatan Expatriate Services about it and have been hoping someone here would have some more info. The link below will take you to the article. Thanks in advance. You are all so very helpful.

http://www.yucatanex...w-may-2011.html

#26 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Monica Sauza is our resident expert on foreigner immigration issues. I'm sure she will weigh in on the impact of the changes as soon as they are made clear. Be patient.

As you will already know if you live in Mexico and certainly Cozumel, federal law is one thing. How it is enforced in Q. Roo, Yucatan and Cozumel can be a quite another. Best to go with an expert who is local to the specific area where you plan to settle.

#27 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

The suggestion you were given to go to Cancun to apply is completely absurd. They have no idea what they're talking about in Boston if they told you that.

There is a Cozumel immigration office and if you are planning to base yourself here on the island, this is where you need to apply and where all the work will be handled. If you were going to base in Cancun, then, yes, Cancun oficina de migracion. Basing in Playa? Playa del Carmen oficina de migracion.

I'd email Monica and pay her to walk you through it. It's irritating to do yourself even when you've done it for years and know the ropes pretty well because they change the rules every year in some annoying way, it seems. But doing it for the first time, you will save yourself a lot of sweaty frustration to just hire Monica. She will tell you exactly what to do and is well worth the moolah.

#28 Guest_casacozumel01_*

Guest_casacozumel01_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Carey...... I have contacted Monica and the process is under way. Best Regards, John

#29 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

I just had my FM2 renewed, and the reality is no real changes. They changes some wording, but what ever changes will be in the future.

It is down the road, how far down the road...who knows.

Based on my limited understanding, "We" foreigners will still be welcome here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#30 Suzy Sunshine

Suzy Sunshine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:travelling
    snorkeling
    hiking

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hello my name is Michele. I have been to Cozumel a few times and love it. My plan is to retire there. Im coming in April for 2 weeks to get some info and see if my dream is feasible. Im canadian and not sure what a FM3 application is. Any other things I should know to make my dream become a reality?

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hello my name is Michele. I have been to Cozumel a few times and love it. My plan is to retire there. Im coming in April for 2 weeks to get some info and see if my dream is feasible. Im canadian and not sure what a FM3 application is. Any other things I should know to make my dream become a reality?

Welcome Suzy. Start by using the Search function near the top right of the forum pages and you'll find a lot of info. If you still have more questions after that, fire away with something more specific.

#32 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Carey.... How would you suggest I contact Monica for help with an FM2? I would like to start the process for my wife and I.

#33 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

You have to have an FM3 for a few years before applying for an FM2...rules change all the time, so contact someone like Monica or Gretchen Martin for the up to date information and process.
Good Luck and enjoy living on the island.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#34 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Monica Sauza
home/office = 872-5394; cell 987-112-4279
mosag@prodigy.net.mx

#35 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sailsgal, I don't know if the window still exists since the laws have changed, but we just got our FM2 after only one year. A friend of ours skipped the FM3 completely, getting an FM2 late last year. I've heard that, with the new laws, there is only one document now. I'll be interested to know what is learned from Monica.

Kandy

#36 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Yes I agree the laws change all the time...when we came here almost 5 years ago, we got an FM3 for 6 months, then for three years after that, then we applied and got our FM2, now we have had it for two renewals...
Ours are working FM's for our business so it may be easier for a person who is retired to go straight to an FM2.
Again and I always stress this get the correct information from Monica or Gretchen, they are at the immigration office weekly and know of any up to date changes to the rules/laws.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#37 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sailsgal, I don't know if the window still exists since the laws have changed, but we just got our FM2 after only one year. A friend of ours skipped the FM3 completely, getting an FM2 late last year. I've heard that, with the new laws, there is only one document now. I'll be interested to know what is learned from Monica.

We just finished our FM 3 renewal with Monica's assistance and she mentioned that right now?? there was the opportunity to go straight to an FM2 with no prior FM3 history. She wanted to know if we wanted to do this but I don't see any advantages of an FM2 for us since we dont have a business here and do not wish to apply for dual citzenship at any time in the future that I can forsee. It also has the disadvantage of limiting the amount of time you can spend outside the country. This doesn't appeal to me at all -- especially with my 87 year old parents one of whom is beginning to fail a little in health. I might need quite a bit more time out of the country than the FM2 allows in the future. And I'm damned if I'm going to get myself in the position of having to ask the damn gob'mint for special permission to travel when I want and for as long as I want.

#38 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

When I first got my FM3, we where under the old rules...5 years for FM3, then 5 years for an FM2 then you could apply for citizenship...

I think where going back to FM3'S...for one thing, on an FM2 you can not drive a foreign plated car.

Maybe that will change as well, but in the past 4.5 years I have had an FM2...I do not see, or know of any advantages, unless you want duel citizenship...but then your a slave to two countries.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#39 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I think one of the advantages to becoming a citizen is getting out of the Fideicomiso fee every year on your property... That's the only one I can come up with though :)

#40 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Paula - If you stick with your FM 2 (and you might already meet the requirement) You can go to Inmigrado or permanent residency status and you don't have to deal with immigration anymore, and boy am I looking forward to that....Driving a U.S. Plated car is a no-no, but since we have mexican plated cars that's not an issue for us.

Paula - If you stick with your FM 2 (and you might already meet the requirement) You can go to Inmigrado or permanent residency status and you don't have to deal with immigration anymore, and boy am I looking forward to that....Driving a U.S. Plated car is a no-no, but since we have mexican plated cars that's not an issue for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users