• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

In the fall of last year, a Herdez rep in Playa told me that they are building a WalMart in Cozumel down by the Chevy dealer. Based on this report, it maybe be so. WalMart Mexico and Central America CEO announced Friday, they'll be adding 300 stores in Mexico. It could be that we get one of their various types they'll be adding: Bodega Aurrera Walmart and Superama stores, Samís Club price clubs, Suburbia apparel stores and Vips restaurants.

It would make some sense with the new cargo ferry, since the distribution center for the island will be down that way. WalMart does like to locate new distribution centers. Time will tell.

http://www.laht.com/...ategoryId=14091

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Diva:

I'm having trouble visualizing where the Chevy dealer is located. Could you refresh my fading memory?

Not sure how I feel about WalMart on the island. Sam's would be great if it were a Super Sam's. I avoid WalMart at all costs in the states. The crowds, the rudeness, the layout of the place... it all just wears me out so I only go when I don't have another option. I've been known to drive 25 miles out of my way to avoid the place! Posted Image

See ya in 19 days!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

Kandy:

If your on 11th (coming from Melgar) you would make a right onto 30th. Go all the way down, and it will be on your right side. It is also where the CFE is now.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

Got it! Thanks for the directions.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

I hear you Kandy. Not my favorite spot to shop in the States.

Playa's is decent, nice helpful staff. Behavior of the patrons kind mirrors the US, with tourists and expats.

It would bring a bit more competition, but with nauticab's report on Soriana's new stock diversity of products has arrived.

Only a few things I p/u there in Playa. Only benefit it might save the cost of the ferry, etc.

Might be nice to have a Sam's instead, Costco even better with superior quality. The trek to Cancun is tiresome, not to mention costly.

We'll go exploring when u return. Miss you guys a bunch.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

AJ and I biked down the sand road that runs between the school and the Chevy Dealership. The road starts at 30 about 4 blocks before 30 ends in jungle near the CFE as Coz2Wonder has pointed out. And it ends right across from the little beach known as La Caletita where the lighthouse is south of town.

There was MEGA construction going on behind high fences and on a huge tract of land when we went by a couple of weeks ago. Lot of big earth moving machines and a guard to watch them. We were wondering what it was going to be that would be so massive. Now we know. That sounds like it alright.

Hope they put in a Costco or at least a Sam's Club. I have been completely disappointed with each of my five trips to the Wal Mart in Playa. Lousy selection of pretty much everything although they have pretty good buys on some electronic items, I'll give them that, and a large section for this.

#7 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

That's the place the distribution center for cargo is supposed to be built. This been a little hitch, there's a cenote right where the road is supposed to go. That's put a halt to the construction only a solution can be found. We can thank Guadalupe w/ CityMar for catching this before they tried to fill the cenote. The pier might be ready in April, but the trucks might not be able to get thru to 30 at that time. We'll see.

#8 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:47 PM

I really hope that never happens. Walmart is a cancerous blight on communities.

However the people that shop there are pretty dang funny.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ :blink: :o

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

Beachbum, this is not directed at you, but it does allow me to bring up my thoughts...

Perhaps, many feel that it is a "cancerous blight on communities" in the states, but it's all about resources for those who live HERE.

Not only does it cost to leave the island, but then you have to taxi to all the stores. Then add in the hours it takes to buy, and move (via taxi) what you need (if you drive, then you have the car ferry costs).

Then you have to put it into a suitcase, and drag it back on the Ferry, or hire a truck to bring it back for you. Hours, and hours, and cash.

Frankly, I like resources, and you better believe that tourists like them as well.

The question is, responsibility to the community, and the environment.

A cenote has been found on the property, so build a wall around it. Protect your assets.

As for protecting our cenotes (which take no brains)It is much better then what I have seen done by some in the backyards of houses here, which is used as a garbage dump.

I hear so much of "I liked the old Cozumel"...what does that really mean?

After you have lived here, and see what the ramification to the "Old Cozumel" really mean, you may not be so quick to what it back.

Many say, "Cozumel sold it's soul to the cruise ships" I can not argue with that. However, it was/IS the short sightedness of the officials who manage Cozumel to not seek other venues of revenue.

To be totally dependent on one source, is to make yourself a salve to others demands.

But, I digress.

I am all for SAMS Club...Walmart I can get at Ched's or Mega.

I have got to say, I have NEVER seen the type of people in the URL (Walmart people) shopping at either Ched's or Mega...does North America have a shortage of mirrors????

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

There is a shortage of mirrors. On any given day you can go to my Walmart and people watch and you would not believe the things that you see. The wonderful people of Cozumel would never dream of looking or exposing themselves as those people did from the US. That is part of the beauty of your wonderful island. The people have traditions and family values. Unlike alot of our US citizens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users