Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

we are having a problem with white egg stuff on our hibiscus any ideas

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Most likely they are Aphids. If you can find Dawn liquid dish soap, that works best or follow the directions below.

Home remedy for aphids. You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphidís protective waxy coating and causes dehydration.

You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions. If using these solutions on food plants, be sure to wash them before eating. If using the oil solution, donít spray on very hot and sunny days as the oil can magnify the sun and possibly harm the plant.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Before you kill them, you should have them ID'd. If they are oval, segmented but smooth with two thin antennae, they could be mealybugs. If they have wavy segments and look very scary, with short, fat antennae, they are your friends -- larval mealy bug destroyers, which are related to ladybugs. Search the internet for photos of both creatures before you do anything.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Mealy bugs will look almost like white cotton snow fuzz. They like tender new growth and will often be down in the crevices and around emerging new growth and/or flowers. Aphids more or less the same attraction to new growth, but they'll go more for the flowers. I can see aphids, but mealy bugs just look like fuzz to me. It doesn't take much to kill them or subdue them. I'd go with the few drops of soap in a water spray bottle as Paula mentioned. If mealy bugs, you can see the "fuzz" melt and turn brown. They can be a real problem inside homes and buildings. They like humidity, but not getting wet. When I had a green house nursery, I just used a fog/misting nozzle on a garden hose. As Paula said, get the undersides of the leaves too. The worst minor pests are spider mites. They're almost invisible, but do spin spider like webbing as protection. At a quick glance, heavy webs can almost look like mealy bugs. They take a miticide to kill them, but they too hate water and misting.

If you are feeding plants, liquid fertilizer, they love being sprayed on the undersides with dilute fertilizer. They suck it right up and you can see a change in a hungry plant in 24 hours. Potted plants (pun?) and house plants love rain water. Nothing finer than rain, no chemicals and no minerals from the ground. I used to collect all my rain water off the roof in 55 gallon drums. Gardens will love you and reward you.

#5 pjgoris

pjgoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

we are having a problem with white egg stuff on our hibiscus any ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users