28 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

So glad things went well at the airport! I have a favor to ask. My daughter is bringing her poodle down at Christmas. Could you describe exactly what the papers looked like that you brought from your vet?

Did you, for example, have one of those international health certificate forms? Or was it just a letter on letterhead in English? Did you have the rabies vaccination serum sticker pasted in your vaccination papers or did you just have the number and type listed along with the nemex, frontline and hartguard?

Thanks in advance for any input so that her entry also goes smoothly.

Welcome to the island.

#22 marea

marea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi Carey! I had the international health certificate as well as a letter from my vet on her letterhead that stated my name and address both in the US and Cozumel, the species, breed, sex, age and color of the dog, a list of the vaccinations he was given that included the name and expiration date, but no sticker from the bottle. It also stated which meds he was given for endo and ectoparasites and the date on which he was given them. The letter closed with a statement from the vet certifiying the dog as not showing signs of infectious, contagious and/or communicable disease and has been treated for parasites and appears free of ectoparasites. Then her signature, license number, address and date. I also had with me an itemized list, written by the vet, of all the treatment he got on his last vet appt, 2 days before we left, that included the medications Jake has: heartguard, frontline, panacur (for internal parasites), and the names of his vaccinations (DAPP, rabies, leptospirosis). I also had a separate rabies vaccination certificate that gave the name and serial number of the vaccination and the new tag taped to the paper. All of the info was in English, but Aquiles didn't seem bothered by that.

I didn't have to give Jake a dosage of the frontline or heartguard, but the list from the vet made it clear that he was given those things in the office. They did want to spray his kennel, with something in a regular unlabeled spray bottle, don't know what it was but it was to get rid of ticks and fleas. The whole process took about 30 minutes. People from our flight were still collecting their bags and waiting to push the stop light in customs when we finished up.

If you or your daughter have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I want to pay it forward!
Mary

#23 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hi Marea
I was just wondering where you got the international health certificate, did your vet have it?

Thanks
Ron

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Jake, good boy...

International Cert's are available at any Vet's office, as well as PetCo in the states.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#25 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Paula
Thanks
Ron

#26 marea

marea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hi Marea
I was just wondering where you got the international health certificate, did your vet have it?

Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron,
The vet had the health certificate right there in her office.
Marea

#27 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, Mary. One question re this: " I also had a separate rabies vaccination certificate that gave the name and serial number of the vaccination and the new tag taped to the paper." Tell me about the "new tag" was it in color and shiny like the label of a serum bottle? Oh. Or was it a physical rabies tag?? And I assume the vaccination certification was a carbon of a index size vaccination forms I used to get from the stateside vets?

#28 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Many thanks
Ron

#29 marea

marea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

One question re this: " I also had a separate rabies vaccination certificate that gave the name and serial number of the vaccination and the new tag taped to the paper." Tell me about the "new tag" was it in color and shiny like the label of a serum bottle? Oh. Or was it a physical rabies tag?? And I assume the vaccination certification was a carbon of a index size vaccination forms I used to get from the stateside vets?

It was the tag that goes on the dog's collar, the physical rabies tag. I didn't put it on his collar so it was easy to see he had it. I'm not sure that was important, but it's what I did. The rabies vaccination certificate has "Based on NASPHV form 50" below the words "Rabies Vaccination Certificate". It is the standard form I always get from her after a rabies vaccination, so yes, it's probably exactly what you have in mind that you used to get from the stateside vets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users