Real Milk

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Arriving on Saturday and hubby likes his coco loco's. Of course, to make properly you need milk. I remember it is hit and miss. The usual stuff they call milk tastes like medicine to me. I think they have described the cartons in the past as having black and white markings on it. Thanks ahead of time.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

Don't get your hopes up. The fresh milk seems to appear in the Mega once per month or less. They almost never have it. That stuff in the black and white refrigerated containers is not the fresh stuff either, by the way. Rumor has it the Chedraui may start to carry fresh milk. I'm not holding my breath and I wouldn't hold yours either if I were you.

#3 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Thanks Carey. He will just not get his coco loco's this time. I will be checking the site while we are here so if anyone spots real milk let me know.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

You want cow's milk? Coco is coconut. Any of the alcohol drink recipes I see for coco locos call for coconut milk or coconut cream. Fresh milk is a rarity. For whole milk in the box on the shelf, try LALA or San Marcos brands. Many lower fat content brands of milk use skim milk with vegetable oil replacing the milk fat. Blasphemy!

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Ya know, I may be in the minority here, but as a daily skim milk drinker, I did not find the boxed milk to be that bad. Irradiated? We have even brought back a box or two as it has a very long shelf life. Don't remember the brand we buy, but it tasted like milk.

#6 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

I don't put milk or cream in coffee, but when I am on the island I usually purchase the San Marcos light to have with cereal. I find if the milk is very cold, it tastes fine. I also see that the stores carry lots of tinned milk - I think it is Nestle brand. Never tried it, although a friend told me that is what they use to make drinks containing Kahlua - so maybe tinned milk could be an option.

Valli

#7 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

IMHO, LALA or San Marcos(they are "real milk") brands are the best, the pasturization(Ultrapasteurizadas) process here is different if not better that the US....., it allows for longer shelf life without refrigeration. It is best served very cold until you are use to it. I use light(-1% BF) for cereal and drinking, Semidescremada(+/- 2%) or Entera(whole) are better for cooking. I would start with the Entera(cold) for drinks.

Note: Check the dates on the boxes and buy only at one of the larger stores.

After Wilma we used milk on cereal at near room temp with no ill effects.

T.

#8 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

I tried the LaLa Light last month when I was there. As long as it was kept cold....wasn't bad at all. I'm a skim milk drinker too and it did the job nicely as a proper substitute.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Makes crummy mashed potatoes, the packaged milk. But before I indict, it COULD be the potatoes which are also different than the russets I use in the states. Prolly just as well I stopped making them anyway. heh heh.

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Use sour cream in your mashed potatoes instead of milk. You can also add cream cheese or chicken broth.

#11 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

Carey - I agree. Fixed a 'southern' dinner for some of my local friends when I was there last....meatloaf, mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas and cornbread. Traditionally, all dishes I excel at and most folks that eat them really enjoy. I have to say - that meal was probably one of the worst ones ever! From the substituted ingredients to the different general nuances (texture of ground beef and potatoes) I was truly embarrased by my efforts :blink:

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

If I want "Milk" to drink I buy LaLa brand, semi. It is quite good, but it has to be really cold.

For cooking, I used Santa Clara brand, which is available at Mega only.

Real Potatoes here are not Russets, and are what I would call a "New Potatoe" (thin skin) so I only use them for a baked potatoes, or potato salad (I also use the little potatoes, white or red to make salad).

To make a reasonably good baked potato from what is available here (thin skins), I rub the bugger in olive oil, then wrap in foil and put in the oven at 350 for about 1.5 hours...

For excellent instant potatoes I use Maggi brand. You can find small boxes at Ched's or you can go to Pac's and find Maggi and Russet Instant available in large bags.

The key to making good instant mashed potatoes is to use 1 part water, 2 parts milk (Santa Clara), butter, salt and pepper. If you need to thin it, use sour cream, or more milk.

You can also add chives (which I grow here)and cheese if you like the flavor.

When I make Meatloaf, I use ground pork, and sirloin, egg, and make my own breadcrumbs (I use the toast that you purchase in the bread isle)a little milk, onion, chives, green and red pepper, some tomato soup for moisture, and S&P.

I know this is off topic, but I am making Onion soup right now. In a crock pot, add two cans, Caldo de RES, two cans of water to pot. Saute two large onions, in butter and/or Jungo or Soy sauce until brown. Cook 12/24 hours for the best Onion soup.

Add Cheese to top and brown in broiler with a couple of croutons.

I have never had Black eyed peas, I'd sure give it a try though.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

EZ stop, I also pride myself on my delicious southern style creamy mashed potatoes and have been nothing but disappointed with the packaged milk and the potatoes which are watery. I always turned my nose up at instant mashed potatoes but I may give that another try now that I'm reminded I have that option.

I've tried using sour cream and I've tried using crema and it still doesn't taste as it should or even have the proper texture despite being whipped back to the stone age. So maybe it's the potatoes.

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Idahoan makes a very good mash. It's a dry mix, to which you add water and microwave. They have many flavors, and all you add is water.

Just noticed my stock from Costco expired. Drat.

They will probably have it at Sam's Club.

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

I have never made mashed or whipped potatoes down there but the potatoes are wonderful for baked. They are better than I get in the states. Baste them with a little olive oil and sprinkle on some Kosher or sea salt, wrap in foil and throw them on the coals of your grill. Turn once in a while. If you don't have a grill use the oven. Turn on as high as it gets and bake for an hour or so depending on how large the potatoes are.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

I don't like to foil cook them because the skin doesn't taste good. For me the chewy skin of an Idaho potato is the best part.

#17 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Carey...I usually don't use foil either but the Mexican carbon burns very hot. If you coat the potatoes in olive oil and wrap them in foil then put them on the grill your potato will develope a nice chared skin and be very tasty. The salt is optional but sure makes the skins taste good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users