Photo

Cozumel Internet Speeds, Ping, jitter, etc.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Lot of discussion and interest in the internet lately with particular focus on using slingboxes and other software for streaming US tv, etc while here on the island.

People who don't live here full-time don't believe me, I think, when I tell you that the internet is not all that great here. So I've just done some tests on my own home system. I am paying $599/month for "hasta" 2 MB I believe is my plan and I'm thinking of upgrading next week and see if that improves my VOIP communications. Will report if it does.

For now, speedtest.net pinging San Francisco is showing for me a download speed of 3.37 MB at 11 AM CST on a Sunday when few other people are on the internet here, I warrant. Upload speed is a fairly abysmal .3 MB

However, I also tested at ping.net also pinging SF and got a rating of 139 ms. Here's what the website says about pinging:

"This measurement tells how long it takes a "packet" of data to travel from your computer to a server on the Internet and back. Whenever you experience delayed responses in Internet applications - this would be due to a higher than desired ping. Similar to packet loss, lower is better when it comes to ping. A result below 100 ms should be expected from any decent broadband connection."

So -- US techies are saying that anything above 100 is somewhat laughable. I'm getting, um 139. Does this build my case? We have a shaky system here that is not yet set up to handle all the volume. And may not be so set up for years and years to come. So I ask everyone to change their habits, pry lose some pennies for a dish or make do with cablemas. Don't use the internet hoggishly here. I don't call a 30 minute VOIP call to your family hoggish. Or downloading a tv show in the middle of the night or early in the morning. But leaving your slingbox set up for your nightly 3 hours of US tv? Can we say oink?

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

I really have no complaints and I am on at all times of the day and night. I have Cablemas and I love it. I seldom have a slowdown and the last one I had was a problem with my system, not my internet. I have had 2 computers downloading movies and I was working on a 3rd pc wirhout it slowing down. I will have to do that ping test when I get a chance.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

download your movies in the middle of the night or early in the morning please. two computers at ONCE downloading movies?

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

I normally do, but sometimes I do it when I have the time, whatever time that might be. As I said it does not affect my speed at all here on the same wireless account, so how could it affect anyone else? I just do not understand it. Maybe it is different from actually watching the streaming TV, but the point I was trying to make is that my speeds are quite satisfactory. I have even been on my skype or Vonage at the same time talking with my son in Afghanastan and the call is like he is down the street.

#5 Guest_Marg Moran McQuinn_*

Guest_Marg Moran McQuinn_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

I just got Cablemas installed in my house and the quality/speed is better than my supposed high-speed in Canada. Called my sister on Skype and it was a thousand times better than from Canada!

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

I should have made it clearer that I'm discussing Telmex service. Which is a completely different entity than cablemas service. That said, I'm happy for the reports of fast cablemas internet. In the past there have been a lot of complaints about their internet service but either they've ironed out some of those problems or the service is better in some parts of the city than in others.

#7 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes as I said, mine is also Cablemas, and I am quite happy with it.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

I am real happy with my speed and Cablemas service too. Understand that they are operation on Telmex supplied bandwidth. Telmex slow downs may be related to Cablemas sucking more juice from the system than they are allocated. Carlos Slime keeps losing in court. He is forced to turn over more bandwidth and give access to his competitors and the courts continue to deny him entry into the cable TV market. Pay back is a bitch for the decades of abuse of the Telmex monopoly.

Cablemas at one point was not selling any new contracts to provide Internet service. They had over loaded their bandwidth and that was the reason of numerous complaints. Once they were "gifted" by the courts of additional Telmex bandwidth, they started marketing again and my experience is that their speed exceeds what you are contracting. I had started cable service three years ago soon after they started selling again. I believe I had the 1.5Mb plan. My speeds were running off the charts, way faster than what was suppose to exist in Mexico, much less what was available on the island. I really wonder if I was tied in or sucking juice from the Telmex fiber optics cable. My 1.5Mb service averaged 6Mb, but I went weeks that it often would speed test at 15Mb download. One demonstration in front of a non-believer resulted in a speed test of 22.5Mb. Over some months it did slow down and averaged between 3-6Mb which was double to four times faster than what I was supposed to get. Upload speed were consistent with normal here, not very good if you need to transfer large files, you have problems.

The problems I have with Cable are from frequent, but short service interruptions. They might average several times daily, but usually for a short period only. I suspect that Cablemas is using way more than they should which short changes Telmex customers. Grossly unfair for Telmex subscribers, but given the abuses we suffered for decades under Carlos Slime Telmex monopoly, he deserves to lose his court cases.

I don't know what I am suppose to be receiving, the contract is not mine and I haven't seen the bill or contract. I have been getting download speeds of below 4Mb, but close. My guess from what I was told, I might should be getting up to 2Mb, maybe 1.5Mb, but not double the speed averages I am receiving. My guess is Telmex slow downs are from excessive use and draining by Cablemas sucking from the Telmex lines. Who knows how long that will last? I wouldn't bank on it lasting indefinitely.

#9 akm88

akm88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

It is a good information about internet speed test!!!!
I test my internet speed, through this site http://www.ip-detail...net-speed-test/
My speed test results are,
upload speed:0.52 kbps
download speed:1.96 kbps
I check my speed test before and after of the downloading process!!!!!!

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

It is a good information about internet speed test!!!!
I test my internet speed, through this site http://www.ip-detail...net-speed-test/
My speed test results are,
upload speed:0.52 kbps
download speed:1.96 kbps
I check my speed test before and after of the downloading process!!!!!!

Need to know what service you are using for internet for that information to be useful. Also I generally ping silicon valley -- like San Jose or SF and not the default which is often Georgetown and often considerably slower. Also testing on speedtest.net just now using a new $999/month (!yah I know that's high!) connection, I'm showing a download speed of 4.55 mbps and an upload of .57. Crummy ping of 130ms. Should be below 100 and probably explains when skype and vonage calls break up a lot. I'm pinging the SF area for that data.

#11 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

I really have no complaints and I am on at all times of the day and night. I have Cablemas and I love it. I seldom have a slowdown and the last one I had was a problem with my system, not my internet. I have had 2 computers downloading movies and I was working on a 3rd pc wirhout it slowing down. I will have to do that ping test when I get a chance.

I'm a fish!

#12 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

I'm curious what is the cost of cablemas vs telmex? We're thinking of getting something where we just have a wireless router in the house and bring down our laptops. Thanks!
I'm a fish!

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

I'm curious what is the cost of cablemas vs telmex? We're thinking of getting something where we just have a wireless router in the house and bring down our laptops. Thanks!

I just did get a bill from Cablemas and saw the price of the services. I am paying $505 pesos a month for basic cable with 4MB Internet. They recently said they were doubling the speed from 2Mb to 4MB, but I have had the same speed since the beginning three months ago. The TV portion is $309 pesos and the Internet is $104 + $34 for rent on wireless router and then of course the assorted taxes on top. Not bad in price and value as we pay $50 dollars for only 10 watchable TV stations and $75 dollars for 256K DSL Internet in Alaska. Who says Mexico is Third World, Alaska is about two spaces behind.

I don't have complaints, it is fast, I do experience outages near daily for usually only a few minutes at a time. I sometimes have to reboot the wireless router. Cablemas operates on Telmex supplied bandwidth and previously had poor service. Telmex should have better reliability, but the way things have been the last few years (since the last major court decision against Carlos Slim(e)) Cablemas packages including cable TV, high speed Internet and digital phone service are way cheaper. Cablemas phone deals include 100 or 200 free minutes of calls to the U.S. and the same 100 free local calls to landlines.

We operate two laptops some distance from the router without problems.

#14 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

Charles,
Thanks for the info on the internet question I had. Very helpful!
I'm a fish!

#15 CCarson

CCarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Today 11.27.14 at 1230, using TelMex DSL my latency (ping) is 73ms, upload 1.66Mb, download 4.56Mb.  Carson

#16 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:39 AM

Most (if not all) services have download speeds that are significantly higher than their upload speeds.  As a point of comparison, I have comcast broadband cable in Michigan.  My download speed is normally around 30MBS and my upload speed is normally around 10MBS.  The telephone-based services (like ATT DSL service) has plans ranging from 1MBS to a high of "up to" 6MBS for download, less for upload.  I used to pay $40 a month for it when I also had TV service.  We have disconnected TV service and the cost of just the internet service along jumped to $70 a month.  So the speeds y'all are reporting seem pretty decent to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users