32 replies to this topic

#21 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

i get all my tile from interceramic and some i got at better prices than sub standard options at boxito and niplito (the other big store on 65 near juarez). if you put down tile on top of the cement for the cabinets, you will be happy you did so. even sealed cement will seep moisture. we did a cement floor downstairs and will have to break it all up and lay down tile due to the excessive moisture. moisture barriers are not used here. UGH.

i tried to use jeff but he is very busy and i had a door i needed built right away. he didn't make it for our scheduled time, nor hours later, so i looked elsewhere. i used victor lopez based on seeing his work done on hampsters house. he did my front door and is working on my french doors, all made of mahogany. bet price in town, showed up for each appt EXACTLY ON TIME, had the estimates ready at the time he said, and installed my door before the rushed date. i have seen his cabinet work, with the 110 degree hinges, the nicely sliding drawers, and the details on doors and edges.
victor lopez, 987 111 6577.

this is NOT a bashing against jeff. he is busy. he is good. but victor is also very talented and charges a little less. my great grandfather was a master carpenter and my grandma saw pix of the door and was very impressed with the details, color, sheen.

countertops....i considered granite. but opted with a white cement/marble chunk countertop with slices of conch shell. it's the same look you can see at palapita den medio bar top. my guy was great and charged fairly. don fernando 987 112 5195. cement will have hairline cracks, but the fact that i have conch shells that are likely hundreds of thousands of years old on my countertop, gives it so much character i can care less about the few cracks.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#22 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:45 AM

I too met with Jeff to do our carpentry work and was very impressed with him and his work .
The problem that my wife and I had was that we built our house a little at a time over 2 years . This was going to present scheduling problems for Jeff.

We turned to Victor Lopez at that time and could not have been happier .He eventually did all of our carpentry work a little at a time.

His quality and pricing were excellent . He stuck to his scheduled delivery dates and best of all we did not have to keep going back to check on the order . We just placed the order and he would call and show up on the day promised.

The price quoted never changed 1 pesos.
This too is not meant to be a slam against Jeff . It just always pays to have a back up plan in czm ( maybe 3 or 4 )

I also used Interceramic and was very happy with their service and quality .

One word of caution -- when special ordering tile from them -make sure that you order enough and maybe a few extra pieces. Unless things have changed , they get their material delivered once a week from the mainland ( usualy Thursday )

If you under order, you may have to wait a week for additional material. They have a small bodega next to Pacsadeli but do not have a lot of variety on hand.

#23 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

i get all my tile from interceramic and some i got at better prices than sub standard options at boxito and niplito (the other big store on 65 near juarez). if you put down tile on top of the cement for the cabinets, you will be happy you did so. even sealed cement will seep moisture. we did a cement floor downstairs and will have to break it all up and lay down tile due to the excessive moisture. moisture barriers are not used here. UGH.

i tried to use jeff but he is very busy and i had a door i needed built right away. he didn't make it for our scheduled time, nor hours later, so i looked elsewhere. i used victor lopez based on seeing his work done on hampsters house. he did my front door and is working on my french doors, all made of mahogany. bet price in town, showed up for each appt EXACTLY ON TIME, had the estimates ready at the time he said, and installed my door before the rushed date. i have seen his cabinet work, with the 110 degree hinges, the nicely sliding drawers, and the details on doors and edges.
victor lopez, 987 111 6577.

this is NOT a bashing against jeff. he is busy. he is good. but victor is also very talented and charges a little less. my great grandfather was a master carpenter and my grandma saw pix of the door and was very impressed with the details, color, sheen.

countertops....i considered granite. but opted with a white cement/marble chunk countertop with slices of conch shell. it's the same look you can see at palapita den medio bar top. my guy was great and charged fairly. don fernando 987 112 5195. cement will have hairline cracks, but the fact that i have conch shells that are likely hundreds of thousands of years old on my countertop, gives it so much character i can care less about the few cracks.

Love it, Nauticab... great info.! I can certaintly relate since our plan is to go 'native' in getting our place up and running. My husband is staying in Cozumel, and he did not even have a bed yet! We thought that our plans are simple; build a queen size platform bed and slap a mattress on it. We even have with us the plan in the contruction of the bed complete with dimensions in hand -- same thing with the kitchen.

I don't want to come across in seeing a dishonest operator in every corner. This is my second time to live life as an expat -- and hopefully for the last time! I trust my judegement more as I grew older, and I am a firm believer that if I don't feel right about something, there's no reason to follow through for the sake of seeing something "happening". I have no problem accepting that I need to find out more. There will always be those who understood and are gracious to indulge our ignorance and walk us through. So will there be folks who wonder if our questions came from a 'negative' place. Ok, fair enough. For those who took the time to address our postings, my husband and I are both most grateful. Thanks! As far as I am concern, your assessment of Jeff's busy workload speaks rather well of him, no worry here from me about viewing it as 'bashing'.

#24 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

I too met with Jeff to do our carpentry work and was very impressed with him and his work .
The problem that my wife and I had was that we built our house a little at a time over 2 years . This was going to present scheduling problems for Jeff.

We turned to Victor Lopez at that time and could not have been happier .He eventually did all of our carpentry work a little at a time.

His quality and pricing were excellent . He stuck to his scheduled delivery dates and best of all we did not have to keep going back to check on the order . We just placed the order and he would call and show up on the day promised.

The price quoted never changed 1 pesos.
This too is not meant to be a slam against Jeff . It just always pays to have a back up plan in czm ( maybe 3 or 4 )

I also used Interceramic and was very happy with their service and quality .

One word of caution -- when special ordering tile from them -make sure that you order enough and maybe a few extra pieces. Unless things have changed , they get their material delivered once a week from the mainland ( usualy Thursday )

If you under order, you may have to wait a week for additional material. They have a small bodega next to Pacsadeli but do not have a lot of variety on hand.

Good suggestions about ordering tiles -- and backup plan. Thanks.

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

Re bed frames --

We have two that are cement platforms. We made ours high and hollow in the center and put 2 x 4 wood across under the mattress to keep it from getting clammy as it will if you put it on a solid slab of cement. They are perfectly comfortable and the height is nice. However, I've since come to prefer the wooden frames we've had made for other beds. They can be shifted around the room for one thing. For another everytime you need to move the mattress on the cement beds, the wooden slats shift around boringly.

Also anything cement inside makes a ghastly mess that is the devil's own to clean up -- particularly if you've already laid your tile flooring. That dust is The Worst! So there's another reason to go wood frame . If you need something fast, many of these small carpenter shops you see all over town will have that kind of thing in stock. Try Peche -- just south of the corner of Calle 8 and Avenida 30 as they usually have a lot of unpainted furniture.

Or get this Lopez gent that Nauticab rec.d since he sounds less busy and also very good. Go wood is my advice.

#26 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

a fast, simple and inexpensive solution is to purchase a medal bedframe from Elektra. They also carry a nice selection of mattress, from Flintstone type, to pillow tops.

Elektra also has a new store location, on 11 one block from Chedrui's...

Also, the old store location might be closer on the corner of Ave 20th and Benito Juarez.

If you use a bed skirt you won't see the legs anyway, and medal doesn't attract termites.

Another suggestion I have...we installed a propane fireplace with ceramic logs and we have been so toasty warm these past few days...Mario knows how to build the fireplace with the flew(?) you just need to bring down the ceramic logs from HD. You won't regret it, it is a wonderful feature to have.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#27 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

a fast, simple and inexpensive solution is to purchase a medal bedframe from Elektra. They also carry a nice selection of mattress, from Flintstone type, to pillow tops.

Elektra also has a new store location, on 11 one block from Chedrui's...

Also, the old store location might be closer on the corner of Ave 20th and Benito Juarez.

If you use a bed skirt you won't see the legs anyway, and medal doesn't attract termites.

Another suggestion I have...we installed a propane fireplace with ceramic logs and we have been so toasty warm these past few days...Mario knows how to build the fireplace with the flew(?) you just need to bring down the ceramic logs from HD. You won't regret it, it is a wonderful feature to have.

We visited the new "Elektra" -- nice store.

And you're right, a fireplace is a nice thing to have and we have just the place tto put one in! In our Florida home, we have a fireplace that uses fuel-gel. I was thinking about bringing that fireplace with us to Cozumel, but I haven't run into any place that sells fuel-gel yet. So a fireplace that uses ceramic log is a good substitute.

#28 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

i planned on having a fireplace in our house and hubby said no... it'll take up too much room. during these nortes, wanted to strangle dear hubby as it is freezing in my house. oh well. summer will be here before we know it.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#29 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

i planned on having a fireplace in our house and hubby said no... it'll take up too much room. during these nortes, wanted to strangle dear hubby as it is freezing in my house. oh well. summer will be here before we know it.

I have an understanding with my husband -- I will not interfere with his choice of property and in return, I do not want interfernce from him as to what goes into that house. He made an excellent choice with the house we've just closed on; thus far, he's been very gracious with his end of the bargain. (That is not to say that he did not try to push his envelope!)

#30 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Propane is the best, and safest to use for fireplaces. If they smell smoke here, either somebody is burning garbage, or your neighbors house is on fire.

Pushing the envelope!...ah yes.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#31 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Propane is the best, and safest to use for fireplaces. If they smell smoke here, either somebody is burning garbage, or your neighbors house is on fire.

Pushing the envelope!...ah yes.

Yep!! You know it too!! I dated a "macho man", and now, I am married to a "big boy"!! Ladies, can you relate?!!

#32 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

we kind of have an agreement too. if he doesn't give me an opinion of what he would like or prefer and i go ahead and make the decision, he can't complain. he's been pretty good about it, especially how good it has turned out. but his few ideas have been good and been incorporated almost 100%.
the flue for the chimney is built in with the roof....a quick cement breakage and it's ready to get installed....if we so choose at later date. actually worked out fine without it. was a last minute idea for me.
victor lopez installed my french doors yesterday as promised and on time. turned out great.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#33 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

we kind of have an agreement too. if he doesn't give me an opinion of what he would like or prefer and i go ahead and make the decision, he can't complain. he's been pretty good about it, especially how good it has turned out. but his few ideas have been good and been incorporated almost 100%.
the flue for the chimney is built in with the roof....a quick cement breakage and it's ready to get installed....if we so choose at later date. actually worked out fine without it. was a last minute idea for me.
victor lopez installed my french doors yesterday as promised and on time. turned out great.

A good spouse is a wonderful thing!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users