8 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

Will be down in a few days:D! When snorkeling I always get stung by something. Is it stinging hydroid/baby jelly season yet? Can never remember when those nasty beasties are in season.

#2 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

I too am very sensitive to anything in the water that will bite or sting, so I always wear a full body lycra skin when snorkeling. Protects my back and legs from the sun and makes for a much more pleasant vacation.

#3 pelagic_by_nature

pelagic_by_nature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Cozumel, Fish, All things aquatic

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

plus wearing the skin means you don't have to try and find biodegradible sunscreen to protect the reef

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

Skins are helpful, however they leave exposed one of most sensitive areas of the body....the neck, which is really the only place that gives me fits when I get stung. Stings on the neck usually lead to open running sores while stings to the rest of the body tend to just itch for a short period of time. The only thing I know of to really protect a diver from stings is a full wetsuit and a hood. And since the thimbles are usually here when the water is its coldest a hood is handy anyway.

Cozumel Diving

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

So, Mike, you are saying it is thimble jelly season. Oh cr*p. Thanks for the info, oozing neck sores and nasty stings will not keep me out of the water! We plan on looking ridiculous in our neoprene shorties and long sleeve lycra shirts. I may get me one of those gramma rain bonnets and put on a muffler.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Dawn not to worry. We are at least a couple of months away from the thimbles. I was just responding to the other two posts.

I should add that I am kind of hyper-allergic to stings of any kind, so I have a really bad time with the thimbles. I have seen others jump right in a huge pod of them and not seem to suffer any ill effects.

Cozumel Diving

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Thanks Mike, i will leave the granny bonnet and scarf at home. So March is the thimble season? That's when our next trip is planned.

I found Benedryl spray in a lookalike Listerine Pocket Spray squirter. Will see if it works for the stings. Will try not to use it for mouthwash.

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Happy to report there were no bites, no stings, no oozing sores! We sure appreciated our neoprene shorties, though. Lycra rashguards didn't cut it this time - dang! It was as cold as we have ever felt in Cozumel! Still much better than snow and 0 degrees. Loved it as always.

#9 Layback Lenny

Layback Lenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Coming down Feb.13th for the first time. Never snorkeled before but am very excited to do it. Are the jellyfish bad right now? Sounds like we should get full neoprene suits. Whadda ya think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users