• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rmiller0

rmiller0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi! I'm trying to decide between these two hotels. The only thing keeping me from wanting to stay at Park Royal is the size of the beach. I'm wondering if it will be a big deal or if the proximity to San Miguel makes it worth it. We are planning on traveling in late Sept/early Oct, so I'm hoping maybe the beach wouldn't be all that crowded. Any opinions appreciated!!

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

I live here and I have been to Cozumelano for a day and ate their noon buffet; it is nice and they have shows at night and it is easy to get a taxi into town. I have not been to Park Royal myself, but I have heard that the food is not that good. If you want an AI that is within walking distance to town, that has a snorkeling beach and you might be able to opt out of the full AI there, I would recommend Cozumel Resort. If this is your first time here, you really want to get into town and experience our great city! Sundays in the evening is great music on the square and our litle museum is really great, often with live shows at night.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 rmiller0

rmiller0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Thank you so much for the info! We came to Cozumel for the first time this past Sept on a cruise and knew we HAD to come back. We actually went to Playa del Carmen for a week for our honeymoon in 2008 and couldn't help but wonder about the island across the water :-) Any recommendations on MUST eat restaurants with good prices? Last time we ate at Viva Mexico and liked it. Thanks again for taking the time to help us!

#4 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

If you are a carnivore, try Al Pie del Carbon on the corner of 5 and 6 just about a block (?) from the museum. Great Argentinean steakhouse. Not "cheap", but worth every dime. They also have pretty good wines if that is your thing. No advice on the hotels as I've never stayed at either. We did stay at Aura once before we started renting a condo and I would recommend, but it is a long way from town.
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#5 rmiller0

rmiller0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Sounds delish!!

#6 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

For a very special dinner, we always go to La Veranda on Calle 4 Norte just a couple of blocks east of the waterfront. We also enjoy eating, drinking, and people watching on the south side of the town square at Plaza Leza. Other favorites are: Abuello Gerardo northeast of the Catholic Church on Avenida 10; El Moro on Avenida 70 Bis north of the Pemex station on the Transversal Road; La Conchita del Caribe on Avenida 65 around Calle 17 Sur; and the beach club at Playa Azul north of town. We have heard very good things about El Bucanno (sp?) Grill also north of town. Any taxi driver would know these places. Enjoy your trip.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

There are so many places to stay...

Until the the issues with Park Royal are resolved, I would not be sending a deposit. (http://www.bloomberg...in-tourism.html)

AI's on the island will fall far below what GREAT food you can find everyday, every night available here at the local restaurants.

Keep looking before you decide...

I love the Coral Princess, and put my family up there every time they visit. Friends stay downtown at Casa Mexicana..they do have rooms with great view, huge deck...But, you can also find other great places to stay on the island.

Don't short change yourself over a few bucks...your also coming in low season, so the prices should be much better.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

I like the Coral Princess also but hate the time share guys that will not leave you alone. I prefer the Playa Azul. No worries there

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

The best way to deal with timeshare is to say, Thank you, but NO.

Everyone has their preferences...that's the good news.

I like small bouquet hotels, CP fits the bill.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

El Cid Ceiba is by far the best place to stay. Small hotel, GREAT service and an AWESOME staff! There is only one restaurant, but whether you select EP or AI, you order from the menu so the food is fresh everytime. (Buffet is available at breakfast.) Only 60 rooms in the entire place, part timeshare, part regular hotel rooms. But no worries about the timeshare people hounding you all the time. Tell them you're not interested and they let you enjoy your vacation. It's not much further south from town than the El Coz is north. You'll love Coz. Not only is the island beautiful, the people are wonderful. Enjoy!

#11 rmiller0

rmiller0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

I looked at El Cid but heard that cruisers come there to use the pool, etc. so I didn't know if it would be super crowded during the day. Thanks for letting me know!

#12 deni9271

deni9271

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

hands down park royal!Posted Image
DENI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users