• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

A friend of mine came to the island yesterday on a cruise ship. I was trying to find out which port she would be docking at.

I found a site that links to Sherry Davis's web site with her horrible rants about Mexico.

Cozumel is NOT the rest of Mexico...

This type of negative impact on those who are visiting the island, or family members who are tracking the movements of family can receive a VERY horrible image of Mexico because of the personal agenda of one person who does business in Cozumel.

I am in shock...I think the Cozumel Tourist Board should be informed and they should step in...anyone have a contact?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

i agree. however, i have never gone this way to find a cruise ship schedule and would have never found it, nor searched webcams.

Everyone knows her story....she should delete it from her page altogether.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thank you Nauticab for responding.

The best source for information about the island (besides CMC) that would include the cruise ship schedule would be the Cozumel Tourist Board...they have everything to gain!

I could not believe how far reaching this negative rant went, but obviously far.

With 2 million visitors a year to Cozumel, a percentage will read everything wrong with Mexico, and nothing right about Cozumel.

Her latest rant, (Dec) gives all the shootings, mayhem, kidnapping, and when you scroll down far enough...she talks about Cozumel getting parking meters.

That's OUR Cozumel...parking meters...

I want the Tourist Board to take action, be the the conduit for information about the island...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Links are important -- they lend credibility to a website and the more independent links there are into a site, the higher that site's rating becomes within the internet search engines. (Did that make sense?!)

The webcam page to which the site you used links is a mixed bag of news headlines and other information that is at once negative and personal and promotional. Other than the fact that there IS a webcam on the page, it's not a very readable or useful link for a tourist. I'm sure there are people who browse the site after visiting the webcam, but I'm willing to bet that most visitors bounce out of it.

Perhaps there is another Cozumel waterfront webcam that the major tourist sites might prefer to link to?

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

you are absolutely correct Deb...what EVER site it is, needs to include the cruise ship schedule.

I didn't realize how important it was, until I needed to know.

The site that I referenced did have a comment section...however, it was my position (as a guest of Cozumel) that it would be best to have the Tourist Board replace what tourist, family and friends are now seeing.

I truly have no agenda here, other then the correct portrait of Cozumel.

Anonymous

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

glad the website link was erased.

everyone in general.... hopefully this won't be edited this time so i re-wrote it: if you find anything negative on a website, don't post the website. posting it just makes lurkers and other curious folks find stuff that no one really wants to see.

bad news spreads 7 times faster than good news. i know this board is to be informative, but let's keep it positive. i think that would be a very good resolution for this board for 2011.... keep it informative and positive.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

and yes paula, parking meter project has been approved, contractors assigned, and to be installed supposedly this year on the malecon. this is an effort to keep the all-day parked folks (who work in playa or the jewelry stores all day) who take up tourism spaces off the waterfront. not sure what the prices will be, but i have heard that credit cards will be accepted, as well as coins. so, if i need to go to the square for 20 minutes, i can... and i can find a space close by and not have to pay for an hour in the parking lots.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#8 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

And if you need info on Cruise schedules in the future, see http://www.cozumelmy...?showtopic=1297

#9 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

I now use another site to check the schedules for cruise ship arrivals..
www.cozumelwatersports.com They have the whole month listed and you can check which
port for each cruise line..
Cozumel Insider is so negative towards Cozumel and Mexico and the trash talk doesn;t
help anyone especially the owner...she is filing very negative comments, but also
trying to promote some of the tours and accomodations...a mixed message to many.
I don;t read it anymore!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#10 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

I now use another site to check the schedules for cruise ship arrivals..
www.cozumelwatersports.com They have the whole month listed and you can check which
port for each cruise line..
Cozumel Insider is so negative towards Cozumel and Mexico and the trash talk doesn;t
help anyone especially the owner...she is filing very negative comments, but also
trying to promote some of the tours and accomodations...a mixed message to many.
I don;t read it anymore!

If you want to check out a webcam to see what the water is doing, go to Scuba Club site.
They have a great webcam that looks over their dock for boat pickups.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#11 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Scuba Club webcam if you want to see the weather: http://www.scubaclub...com/webcam.html

Sherri is keeping alive her legal odyssey by funds from her commissions from her tour sales. It seems her most prominent is the Swim with Assorted Marine Mammals. She still advertises her butterfly factory as an attraction, but had claimed her opponents had killed all the butterflies from use of assorted pesticides and completely destroyed it. Perhaps a campaign directed toward the people that allow Sherri to book tours and generate commissions to fund her dramatic legal team (and pay their medical expenses LOL, bad joke) could be the course to get some results. In a legal and judicial matter, she has blasted all the politicians. Judges make judicial decisions and issue court rulings, mayors, congressional representatives don't. They might be able to toss their two cents worth of opinions toward the courts, but most all of Sherri's former supporters agree that she has been off on a self destructive, slow suicide by Internet of insanity. Bashing all the local politicians besides being in poor taste is illegal.

Since Sherri does read these forums, particularly this one, maybe a campaign against her mindless, anger fueled, slander and clobber the whole tourism market might register with her. One of her way out there posts was deleted when it was laughed at here, I gave a link which the police chief in the most puzzled manner, replied, well if that ever happened here....the way we try to do things here is maybe why it has never once been reported. But she said it happened from personal knowledge and participation, but quickly deleted that "alert/warning".

I have heard that Sherri hasn't been responding to people that advertised with her. She is listing one special intended for summer only that the person has been trying for months to get deleted without results. Sherri, universal opinion is that you are only hurting yourself and even if by miracle and divine intervention, you actually won one of your court cases, your return to the community would not be welcomed. Sherri you have pretty well burned all your bridges here. I suggest you contact one of Sarah Palin's ghost writers and have them publish a book or see if Faux Noise would be interested in your story. It might make a great TV movie or change the characters and make it into a Mexican telenovela.

If you still want to help Sherri and keep her program alive, you can do online shopping at the virtual store. They offer some lovely things, bikinis and thongs that would get you arrested among them. You have to wonder if Sherri needed better attorneys or a good psychiatrist. It has crossed beyond bad taste into the delusional class and she used to have friends here. Hopefully she might get some help and relief from proper medications. Some can perform miracles in quieting those voices and warping your "cents" of reality. Good luck Sherri wherever...

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I should have taken it to the Cozumel Tourist Board directly, and suggested that they look at the information, and make a proposal to the site as perhaps a better image for Cozumel.

I had HOPED that one person had a name, contact at the tourist board...but it would appear not.

I don't care about the rest of the cr*p. I have no dog in that fight.

I do care about Cozumel.

So, I will take it to the tourist board, perhaps they can contact the site and replace it with the true image of Cozumel.

I found this one site, others have found it as well. With 2 million visitors a year to Cozumel, a certain percentage will read that site, and be fearful of traveling here.

How many people posts, or ask..."Is it safe to come to Cozumel?"

I believe it is our job to provide correct information. As residents, and business owners on the island, we had an opportunity to contact the site and provide input...

Just so you know, I have sent an email to the Tourist Board regarding this issue. I don't believe in just blowing smoke, and hot air...it's all about taking action to correct a bad situation.

Anonymous

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I checked out the home page of Sherri's site just now and I couldn't find any links to nasty bad news happening elsewhere in Mexico. It must be buried pretty deep if I can't easily find it, deeper, in short, than almost any prospective visitor looking for info is going to dig in my opinion.

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

click on weekly news

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

The news is linked from the cruise ship schedule page and Sherri's personal offensive, inaccurate and illegal rants starts underneath the webcam page. Both of these locations are the most widely posted as links from her "sight". She is a fugitive on the run, hiding from arrest warrants. If well paid attorneys, law enforcement and private detectives can't locate her to execute arrest warrants, I don't expect the Tourism Board to have much effect on shutting down a site whose server is probably U.S. based.

Before Sherri lost her banner ad on cruise critic both her webcam and cruise ship schedule page links were often posted. Her cruise ship schedule (available always in Por Esto!) was mentioned today. Her Feedzilla link is directly under the webcam picture and underneath Feedzilla are Sherri's personal writings. The topic selection choice seems to have changed in the last week as one of the key search words for news articles to link to your site must have been be-headings. It appears that the category of news articles sought may have been toned down some on Feedzilla. I believe she did delete the letter from Gustavo, but her personal rants remain.

Sherri does read these forums and she did delete that one ridiculous news article that was challenged here. I'm sure Sherri's feelings of bitterness seem valid to her, but her disregard and disrespect shown toward her former island home and her neighbors, she deserves no consideration. Since she has only responded to public opinions expressed toward her negatively, don't bring her up, but let no post go unchallenged. I maintain you might work to shut off her lifeline by addressing those who allow her to book tours for commissions. I doubt any reasonable person with a positive interest in Cozumel tourism would want to associate themselves with her. The mayoral administration changes in April and there are very few weeks left for any current officials. Talk to the next mayor, Lito's people. Maybe they'll show a more active stance of cutting off links and sales for Chankanaab dolphin swims and the like.

So true a homepage visitor would be unlikely to see without a detailed search, but the two locations of her garbage comprise about 98% of the links posted by well intended souls. Those two links are all over the Internet although not nearly as strong as this forum.

#16 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

I can understand Sherries anger with the gov't from her perspective.(she feels that an injustice was done to her) True or not is another story. But what she is doing makes no sense. On one hand she is trying to attract advertisers so she can maintain income. And on the other she is trying to hurt Mexico because she blames the country for her problems. The attacks will not help her cause and will have the opposite effect, advertisers will pull their advertising cutting off her income.
This does not seem like a rational action on her behalf. It almost seems a bit like a split personality on one hand she promotes business and the other she tears down Mexico. Very puzzling. Like Paula said I have no dog in this fight but just reading what is going on I wonder what she is thinking.

Ron

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

Sherri is indulging in venganza, an extraordinarily popular concept in Latino culture. I swear a good 1/4 of the translated US movie titles feature this word. Revenge!
She's so angry that she just doesn't give a damn, I expect.

I have no dog in this fight either.However, as I have said before, if I felt that people here had screwed me over unfairly -- if that was my opinion -- then I, too would probably be sorely tempted to use my equally large and somewhat influential website to promote my own angry and hate-filled agenda. I would really have to be convinced in my heart of hearts that I had been dealt with unfairly and had no other redress before I would consider this type of action, however. Prolly I wouldn't do it because I love the local people so much and wouldn't want to hurt them. But it would depend on just how angry, frustrated and impotent I was made to feel, I guess. Perhaps Sherri has reached this dead end about now. I don't know. But it sounds like it.

As to the website continuing to book tours, etc. speaking, again, as a webmistress myself, it is extremely time consuming to make all those changes to the formatting and content. It's one thing to stick up some text and quite another to completely redesign your graphics and home page. So I expect she's just letting that ride and is grateful for any income that comes in from it, I'm sure.

However, probably her website business is slacking off of its own accord due to all the bad publicity she's handing out. Which, as many have pointed out, is unfairly painting la isla with the tar that is engulfing other parts of Mexico.

Yes, it's illogical. But strong emotions are always that way.

Again, I'm not getting involved in any of the legal details of this whole thing. Merely trying to understand what I think is pretty understandable human behavior. Her website is the only weapon left in her arsenal. Ven GAAAAAANNNN ZAH!! is the cry I'm hearing.

#18 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

ok, so my proposed "keep the forum positive" and "keeping the negative cr*p off the boards" resolution didn't go over well. all the energy spent on bringing this topic up could have been used to take 1 minute in the directory to find the info you need. it is even in english for pete's sake.

if there are any complaints for tourism or business practicies, open your directory. the one that says "el directorio cozumel (year)". a few pages from the front is a page of CANACO which is the national chamber of commerce and cozumel tourism.
canaco is located in front of sol stereo on 30th and their phone number is 872-0583, 872-3391, fax 872-5014, website www.canacocozumel.com, email canacocz@prodigy.net.mx
i too have no fight in this at all. just sick of hearing the bla bla bla of the story. hopefully she will get the hint to keep it to herself. she can bitch on her facebook, but keep it off of tourism pages.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#19 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

Just to shift the discussion a bit The O'Reilley Factor had a segment on last night where O'Reilley was taking the position that Americans should not travel to Mexico.He as so many others including my family are
painting the whole country with a broad brush. His guest Charles Greenberg(SP?)CBS News travel editor tried in vain to explain that most of Mexico and in particular the Riviera Maya is as safe if not safer than the U.S.
I'd be more worried about this kind of exposure rather than some minor travel website.

#20 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well we would certainly be a lot happier if Bill O'Reily stays out of Mexico. He should just stick to stuff he is well versed in such as sexual molesting his staff or thowing a thousand F-bombs at his staff for not making him look pretty enough and not worry about us folks South of the Border.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users