Hello, who has the best value car rental service in cozumel
and is it possible to pick it up at the airport

Thanx David

#2 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Go to carrentals.com + Cozumel Mx....you can search all kinds of agencies...I use Executive
and they are just outside airport entrance. You can get some great deals for a week or more.
Hertz and Avis are right in the airport when you exit but their rates are much higher and
we experienced once where there was a large fee not listed on the contract when we returned the car after two weeks... Good luck!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#3 sailboat47

sailboat47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

http://www.islacozum...ices/isis/,they are not in the airport but have good prices.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

There are 2 rentadoras right across the street from the airport. If you use these you save the airport pick up and drop off fee.

Cozumel Diving

#5 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the replies,you think its cheap till they add the taxes !! hmmmm

#6 sailboat47

sailboat47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

We still find the best price is Isis even tho they don't have the most fancy vehicles in town. Insurance is included in their rates and if you happen to have an accident they will assist you. You can do a search on this board and you'll see many positives for Isis Car Rentadora.

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Always pay with a credit card. It will reimburse at least partial expenses (like when a street light fell on our hood and someone rear-ended us in the parking lot.) At the time we rented from Thrifty at the airport. Very convenient.

Also, make sure you sit in the car, both driver and passenger seats, before you take it. We got a beater from Isis, the headrest was at a 90 degree angle facing down, and the seat couldn't be moved back. After driving the first day, I told DH we needed to exchange it as I didn't want a permanent neck/back/knee injury and spend our 8 days looking at my feet. Margarita graciously exchanged it for a much better beater with seat belts that had to be knotted, but much more comfortable.

#8 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

We always use either Thrifty or EZ Car Rental -- not to be confused with Less Pay Car Rental -- the rental sticker says Executive and we complete our paperwork in the Executive building so they must be related in some way. They're both located just across the street from the airport. The staff at both are very nice and accomodating. (We've experienced minor problems with cars rented at both -- one time the brake light came on and wouldn't go out, the other time the brakes started feeling "squishy" -- and it was not a problem to get another car.) We always book online in advance and someone is waiting when our flight arrives to drive us across the street to pick up our car. I use Travelocity.com to compare rental rates but usually end up booking via the company's Web site.

Regarding insurance, you may want to check with your credit card company before you travel. Some offer full coverage insurance when you pay using that card. You'll still have to pay the $11/day liability but at least you might be able to save the additional expense for the full-coverage insurance charge. You may want to take with you a copy of the coverage offered by your credit card as proof of coverage.

#9 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

This is all good info thanks once again, btw I get the impression most rental cars are not well maintained
is this so and are they older than most rented cars.

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

I have never gotten a "beater" from Isis. To the contrary, they've always been well maintained and clean cars. The worst thing that ever happened to us was a flat tire on the way to check the car back in.

As for checking your US insurance, don't bother. It means nothing here. You're going to have to pay cash for whatever happens and hope you get reimbursed when you return home. Get the full insurance here!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

We've always gotten relatively new cars from Thrifty & EZ/Executive.

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Thrifty does have newer models, well-maintained. We love renting the VW convertibles from Isis, but these models definitely have had some use, definitely beaters, albeit well maintained. I think they stopped making them in 2001. Margarita felt very bad about the headrest on the first rental, and immediately got it fixed. She figured someone had kicked it, and it needed to be cut and re-welded. She does have newer models of other cars available.

We had to pay Thrifty cash up front for the damage we didn't cause, then our CC reimbursed the bill for the ACTUAL damages, which were less than we paid in cash. However, that same damage in the States would have been much more expensive.

#13 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

if you got the full insurance cover why did you have to pay anything

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

I don't remember what coverage we got, we may have anticipated our CC covering it and didn't get insurance. This was several years ago, and we have since learned! Margarita has full coverage included in her prices.

#15 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

The 'true-isms' of car insurance in Mexico are quite different than what you may be used to. There is a lot of info on this site about car rentals and insurance. There is also a lot of info in general on the web. My understanding is that there are two types of coverage that you need. One takes care of any people hurt in the accident. If you do not have this insurance, you are required to pay in cash the full 'expected' costs of medical care for all those injured in the accident. The 'people-part' of the insurance coverage takes car of that part for you. The 'property' part of the coverage takes care of any damage to the car or anything else that is damaged BUT THERE IS A 10/15% DEDUCTIBLE on this kind of coverage. Zero deductible on the 'medical/people' part of the coverage can be bought. I have never seen zero deductible on the 'car/property' part in Cozumel. (Although I have seen that kind of coverage in Playa.) When I am negotiating a car rental, I also ask whether I can get zero/zero deductible coverage - both the medical and the car damage. That usually gets me into a more complete conversation about how coverage works in Cozumel. Also, my understanding is that the medical/people part of the coverage is required. The car damage part is not but without it you may have to pay the full value of the car BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LEAVE MEXICO. After several explorations, I have settled on ISIS. Margarita has explained the situation carefully to me and given me great value and service on both the VW Bugs and the little 4-door Chevy's. She has also carefully explained parking rules, right of way issues in town, where to find the street signs and all that stuff. Hope this helps. If any of my info is out-dated, please someone comment on that. I hope you have a great time! And watch out for the TOPES!

#16 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yes you can get zero deductible on the vehicle part. We rented from Thrifty and paid the $25 for FULL insurance ZERO deductible.

Our car was hit while it was parked in front of our condo overnight. We took it to Thrifty the next day and they saw we had full insurance so just had to make a 3 sentence accident report and we were off to continue our vacation. The FULL insurance also covers wheels, windows and mirrors :-) Think it's the SDW (super damage waiver) which is the zero deductible.

#17 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

So basically most of the car rentals will give you the choice of insurance from the basic to
full coverage with no deductible

Thank you all once again

#18 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Isis - when they advertise $35, it's $35. Taxes and insurance included.

Rented from them 6 times for a week each. You gotta love Margarita. :D

http://www.islacozum.../services/isis/

#19 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

We rent a Jeep from Less Pay every time we come to Cozumel; yes they will pick you up at the airport.
Cindy

#20 bradymom

bradymom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

This will be our fourth year to Coz. We rent a car for two weeks. It takes a while to get your car at the airport. It's a short walk across the street, but may take as long as an hour to get the car. Mexico pretty much write everything out, not like US with sophisticated software. We have used several companies, but I got tired of waiting at the airport waiting for my spouse to come with the rental car. All the other people had long gone to their Hotels to start their vacation. We take a cab to our hotel,have the rental company come to our hotel where we do the paper work in a nice relaxing lobby, My hubby goes with the agent to pick up the car. Agent comes to get the car at the hotel when we head home. Less costs because they charge an airport fee when you rent from the airport. No extra charge for this, and so much less stressfull!! We used Executive. I made a reservation on line in advance. There is a limited amount of rentals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users