• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 txwildflower2002

txwildflower2002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Whatever you do-do not rent from payless! We did several years ago and they milked us for gasoline because tank wasn't completely full- We filled it at the station, but what could we do? we were on a cruise and had to get on a ship. Were back in coz in december and went to paradise beach. I got a charge from payless and didn't even rent a car. They also charged a card i rarely use and didn't take on the trip. Anyway-it is in dispute. How did they know we were there? AND i am wondering if it was the same card i used several years ago.

#22 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have never gotten a "beater" from Isis. To the contrary, they've always been well maintained and clean cars. The worst thing that ever happened to us was a flat tire on the way to check the car back in.

As for checking your US insurance, don't bother. It means nothing here. You're going to have to pay cash for whatever happens and hope you get reimbursed when you return home. Get the full insurance here!

I noticed the link to Isis has been removed. I am to be renting a car from them in February, has there been a change in their level of service I need to know about?

Thank You!

David

#23 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Texaswildflower...what was the responce with payless over charges.

There are many good car rental companies here. Some offer many types of vehicles. I walk by Isis at least 5 days a week. They seem to have mostly the old type VW bugs, but they all look like they are in pretty good shape to me. They can't be perfect they haven't been manufactured in over 5 years.

Cozumel Diving

#24 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

Isis is still going strong. We just stopped in to say hi to Margarita a few days ago. Other than VW bugs, she has several 4 door vehicle and at least one fairly new automatic 4-door. I think the 4-doors are Chevy Pointers. All cars are well maintained, and Margarita will take good care of you.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#25 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Texaswildflower...what was the responce with payless over charges.

I'd be curious about that one too. The last time someone made a charge of someone using a card fraudulently, they stated they had used the card at a bar and then it seems their hotel. They incurred charges made at a beach club they had not visited and assumed blame on someone at the bar and the beach club. It turned out that the hotel made the excuse that their credit card processing system was out of order, so they processed the valid charge through the beach club. (My guess is they owed the beach club money and/or it was mutually beneficial to process the charge through another company's account) The charges were valid and not in dispute, but it was unexpected to not be in the name of the hotel. That one could have been related to the delicate financial situation of the hotel. An unfortunate allegation made against two establishments, undeserved as the hotel failed to inform the guests the charges would be appearing under a different account. I find it hard to imagine that LessPay would place a bogus charge using credit card info from several years ago.

As a merchant in the States many years ago, American Express started double billing charges made to my customers and blamed me. Since I was paid only after mailing in numbered vouchers, I pointed out to the customers, how could I double bill you twice by sending in identical numbered vouchers from AmEx. They were shocked as the truth was obvious, "my God, American Express outright lied to me", yes they did and they falsely accused my honesty. A friend once disputed a charge that it turned out had been in limbo for over two years, a failure on the part of the bank and the credit card system. When they disputed the long forgotten charge, they were given a copy of the original signed receipt that just happened to take 27 months before it appeared on the statement. I am meticulous in examination of all my banking accounting, a practice that will cause a blow up from charges I discovered applied last week that those involved denied and made all excuses except a valid one. I thought a simple accounting error, but given the defensiveness and the multiple excuses offered by the accountant, I'll now let the company bosses sort out who is stealing from their employees.
My point, things are not always as they appear and banks and credit cards make all kinds of errors. I wish I had $5 dollars for every hour I have been on the phone with Wells Fargo, their computer software is defective, it is not human error, it is in the machine. The poor humans think the machine is God and infallible. The more we rely upon machines to run our lives, the more problems we face. We need to get back to the old system of barter and trade or at least cash currency.

#26 sailboat47

sailboat47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

We sent Isis an e-mail about a week and 1/2 ago and Margarita responded back she would see us on the date we asked her to reserve a vehicle for us.My daughter was in Cozumel the first week of January and rented from Isis,so they are up and running.

#27 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Isis is still going strong. We just stopped in to say hi to Margarita a few days ago. Other than VW bugs, she has several 4 door vehicle and at least one fairly new automatic 4-door. I think the 4-doors are Chevy Pointers. All cars are well maintained, and Margarita will take good care of you.

I am very glad to hear that! I would rather hand my money to the island residents than a corporation. I hope Margarita saves me a 4 door!

#28 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Kramer:

If you asked her for a 4-door, I'm sure that's what you'll get. It's typically a Chevy Pointer.

Kandy

#29 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Afternoon everyone, we have decided to just get a taxi from the airport to our hotel,then decide how long
we want to rent a car for, so many thanks for all the options recommended by all of the posters.

Regards David

#30 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

Sorry this might be to late but we just got home from 10 great days in Coz.
Rented from Isis and asked for a 4 door w/ac. Even used the heat 1 night.
Much to my surprise they rolled out a NEW Chevy pointer with only 9000km std tranny.
We agreed to $40 p/day and full coverage.
Couldn't have had a better little car only used $40 in fuel and went 'round 3 times.
Trips into town from Villa Blanca 1 or 2 times a day.
Now just snow everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!
Wayne

#31 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

This is all good info thanks once again, btw I get the impression most rental cars are not well maintained
is this so and are they older than most rented cars.

Years ago, my husband and I rented a car - it was a VW beater from I forget what company. When we arrived on the east side I pulled up on the parking brake - it came off in my hand! I pointedly mentioned it to the rental guy when we returned and he said: "so what? - the island is flat - you're not going to go anywhere." It was funny, but really......

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#32 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

The only "beaters" I've EVER gotten were from Less Pay. I wouldn't label a single car from Isis in the 8 years we rented from her as a beater. I guess some people have extremely high standards.

Kandy

#33 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

It wasn't ISIS, Kandy... this was years ago when we were clueless about where to go. Just a funny memory. There ARE real beaters out there for rent, but I doubt Margarita would let one get by her.

These days I walk and take taxis.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#34 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for clarifying ccannon.

Kandy

#35 G-man

G-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

If I am spending 6 days close to downtown - Should I go ahead and rent a car for the week? I will mainly be going out in the evenings after lunch until night to explore? Or should I just walk the downtown area and rent a car on the last day or two?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users