Hammocks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nikoandsteph

nikoandsteph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Photography, Cooking.

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

I was curious if any of you knew the best place to get a nice lay down hammock? I see them on Melgar but I can't imagine those are the best prices. Any help would be greatly appreciated my siestas would be much improved.

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

most hammocks sold in the square are of tourist quality....meaning that they are cool to hang in a tree for someone's backyard for a summer then they are no good. every so often there is a guy walking around with hammocks to sell. i have bought several from him and all have been beautiful and of very high quality. invest in a double or even "king" size hammock so you can really stretch out.
if you aren't lucky to find the guy, you may want to ask the nice ladies in the mercado where they buy their hammocks, not the single "tourists" ones. you will also find some homes that have a small sign saying "repara hamacas" and they would be a good resource and may even have some older ones that they have fixed.
you want a high number of strings and the more elaborate the rings on the ends, the better quality. also, stay away from cotton. you want a nylon hammock, and the thinner string tends to be more comfy.
good luck. post if you find something!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

" there is a guy walking around with hammocks to sell. i have bought several from him and all have been beautiful and of very high quality."

This is the only way I have ever found the really good ones. The ones for sale in the tourist shops are very low quality.

Cozumel Diving

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Can anyone ballpark the area this hammock maker walks?

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

" there is a guy walking around with hammocks to sell. i have bought several from him and all have been beautiful and of very high quality."

This is the only way I have ever found the really good ones. The ones for sale in the tourist shops are very low quality.

Sunshine makes me happy!

#6 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

I was supposed to meet a hammock maker yesyerday on the square at 10:30 ish. A Store owner buys some from him about once a week. The owner told me that he also sells to others on the island.

he can custom make you any size or weave with nice nylon. He was supposed to get there sometime laater because he took a latter ferry and I had to leave.

But, the owner said that after he does "his rounds" , he comes and sits on the square about 100 feet south of Wet Wendys. It was Saturday and the owner said that if I told him what I wanted he would be back next Saturday with it. So, I assume that he will be back next Saturday and I will try to catch him then.

I also went to the Jail last week and asked it they had any. I was told that maybe in a week or 2 they may have some. I plan to go back and see if they something next week, made by prisoner.
It is located past the lp gas plant past 65th.
Sunshine makes me happy!

#7 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

The DIF park at 50th and Morelos is a Senor Citizens Center. They hand make hammocks daily here. It is a beautiful thing to see the ladies making on the large racks. They also make the coke tab purses and other beautiful handiwork. I am not sure of the quality but they seem to be top notch. By the way, you can also find the men playing chess while the women work :D

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

A friend (permanent resident of Cozumel) recommended the Mercado as a place to get good price/good quality hammocks. My son picked one up and is very happy with it. Does anyone else have experience with the shops at the Mercado?

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

I only buy cotton hammocks at the little store in El Cedral. Prices are about $15 bucks, last for about 3 or 4 years.

Of course, we don't use them to sleep in...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

expect to pay close to 600 pesos for a GOOD hammock. one to sleep on, nap on, lay 2 people on (uh, well, it happens), and will last YEARS and years. the cotton ones, while comfy for now, like paula said, just don't last and aren't as comfy in the long run, too stiff. smaller strings allow the contours of your body to fit nicely.

my 600 peso hammocks have lasted me well over 6-8 years and are in perfect condition and never even needed repairs. just soak in soapy water for a while, rinse, and hang to dry, spread out with a broom stick side to side. i have washed them in the washing machine too. must loop them properly, place in a very old thin pillow case, tie it off tightly with string with the actual hammock loops on the outside of the case. does a decent job but not the best. just make sure the strings don't get tangled from the ends any way you clean or hang it.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

lots of options based on the input you have received.

In the two times in 8 years I have purchased in expensive cotton hammocks, I have been fortunate to not experience what Dailene has described.

I figure I don't go native, it is not something I sleep in, and I sure to heck am not going to nap two up...

I have had one hammock as a gift from Merida, and it lasted (on a limited use bases) one year...

However, I did find my inexpensive, cotton hammock to do just fine with daily nap use, for a single person to work just fine for 4 years..plus they are so darn soft.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Real and good hammocks only with real mayan people. They make them at home but the best hammocks ever you will find in Mérida. I also know that here in the jail of cozumel the guys staying have them for sale. You will always find them at the local market but they are very expensive I believe. At park "El Dif" for sure. Check on prices before getting one.

I haved always slept in hammocks it is so much better than beds maybe that's because I´m from here. Lol!

Good luck! :D

#13 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Another +1 for getting you hammock at the mercado. 55-60$ is what you can expect to pay for a lg xlg unit. MIne last a year or 2 but I leave them out in the weather 365 days a year. I am sure if one hangs them inside or brings them in they would last much longer. There is an online seller that sources hammocks out of Merida the I posted before the old board went down. I will see if I can still locate that link for when you are off island and would still like a high quality Mayan made hammock.

Nothing like a great hammock!

#14 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

I custom ordered my hammock last Saturday from a maker that lives about 4 hours inland. He is going to use the colors I choose, double size, very very fine Silk threads. He wil be coming back next Saturday to deliver it to me on the sgure just south of wet Wendys. The Labor is goning to in the $25-30 range, but because of the silk and "commission tho shop owner that hooked me up, It wil be in thw $100 to $125 range.

I"ll let yay know how it works out.
Sunshine makes me happy!

#15 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

We bought a couple good ones from an elderly woman at the Mercado. Little shop towards the east end. She had a good selection.
I'm a fish!

#16 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Has anyone bought hammocks from the shop across the street from Isis? If so, good or bad shop?

#17 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

I bought my hammock from the business across from Isis. I've had my hammock for 3 years and only hang it outside during decent weather (the midwest winters would destroy it otherwise) and it still looks new.. no apparent wear or tear. My future mother-in-law lives on the island and this is where she has bought all of her hammocks for the past 30 years or so. Comparable prices to other places as I recall, but she was convinced the quality of the hammocks sold there were better than most. I am not a hammock afficionado so I just trusted her judgement.

#18 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

We bought a couple good ones from an elderly woman at the Mercado. Little shop towards the east end. She had a good selection.

I just returned from the island with a hammock. I'm guessing that this was the shop where I found it (no english spoken here, but all you need to know is the word 'hamaca'). The 'grandes' were $750Mex. Since I still had pesos from 2009 when the exchange was 1.50, it was about $50USA, now it would be closer to $60USA. It is a VERY nice hammock. Much better than any I've seen at the tourist shops, but very like the ones at the shop across from ISIS. The vendor also sold ropes for tying off your hammock. 2 for $30Mex. ($2.50USA)

Now if only the #*%& snow would stop falling, I could hang it up and take a nap! :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users