Photo

Anyone want to go in on a water lilly order?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

I have a nice water garden in the backyard that I stocked two years ago with gold fish and a bunch of water lilies and snails which I procured from a company in Merida that I found on the internet.

The plants came beautifully packed and in great condition and ditto the snails which are great for keeping algae out of the water.

However, now, two years later I see that about half my "lotos' as they call them have died due to being root bound in pots for which they grew too big. Also think I need to change the water a little more often.

Anyway, long and short of it is that I need to replace about half my lirios/lotos and I could use some more snails as the birds were eating the babies until we figured out to cover the tiling along the sides with bird net. However, the minimum order is $1500 pesos and I'll be very hard pressed to find a place for half that much merchanise.

So if anyone else has a water garden or wants to make one, let me know and we can go in on the order together.

All the lilies I ordered from this company did very, very well including giant, pink and red night bloomers and blue ones! This is a great climate for this type of plant.

careycsutton@hotmail.com if you have more questions or want to see the plant list.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

could me in, but it would be only a few plants.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Here's the website: http://www.criaderod...nmanuel.com.mx/

The water lilies which she calls "Lotos" even though they are not actually lotuses range in price from a low of $50 pesos to a high of 150-210 pesos for the spectacular night blooming red and pink varieties. I have some of each and the night bloomers were really something for a long time but then they must have gotten root bound because those two in particular which came rather huge to begin with must have outgrown their pots.

I have a price list somewhere. Anyone else with a water garden -- they also sell a variety of snails, lots of fish and tons of other kinds of water plants.

We dont have a filter system in ours and are hoping not to have to go that route. The lilies seem to do fine without a filter although, as I said, I guess I should have replaced the water little by little and week by week and put it on my other garden because this may have contributed to the going down of some of the big lilies.

A water garden is great because it keeps the mosquito population way down. A water lilies are perfect because they provide so much surface shade that keeps the algae from getting out of hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users