• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

But what does it all mean and what will the criteria and requirements be? I browsed my way through the entire document with the publication date of 29th of January 2010 two months ago. It was damn hard to read trying to scroll down 150 pages and keep track of which subsection of which part you were in and what the particular section was relating to.

It seemed to have a few conflicts with practical reality, especially when it came to proof of income for each spouse if a couple had been fulfilling obligations under combined income, not each independently qualified.

This move to go to plastic identity cards and do away with the green books has been in the works supposedly for years, at least back to the Fox administration. The elimination of getting the first book in the States will lead to some improvements and potential complications. The main thing long demanded was to speed up service for renewals where people would not be trapped in limbo-land, especially over long official holidays.

It is a neat and pretty website. but go back and try to read the document that forms the foundation of the rules and implementations. Even if you can't read Spanish, it is obvious that it is a very complicated document and then it remains the question, just what does it all mean and how will one provide the required documentation. The only part more liberal is with regard to business visitors who will change from 30 days to a maximum of 180. I have yet to see anyone who claims to have an understanding of what to expect, we'll have to wait and see.

#22 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

The way I read it is that people will be able to still do thir FM3 application at a consulate, but instead of receiving it when it is approved, they will get something placed in thier Passport and have to take it to Immigration for the actual FM3 upon arrival in Mexico.

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

I asked the Mexican Consulate in Atlanta to provide some answers to the OP orginal question which was the 5 year visa.

I don't think I received any information that is of value, but feel that I would post what their understanding is...which is WHO TO HECK KNOWS.

The response to my questions are in CAPS.

Q1: Could you please provide me with what a 5 year multiple entry visas is?IS A VISA THAT THAT HAS A VALIDITY OF 5 YEARS WITH MULTIPLE ENTRANCES

Q2:What are the requirements? DEPEND OF YOUR NATIONALITY,PURPOSE OF THE TRIP AND YOU MIGRATORY STATUS IN THE US AND OF THE ECONOMIC SOLVENCY

Q3: Who would benefit from this type of visas? PERSONS THAT CAN REQUIRE A VISA AND HAVE ALL THE REQUIREMENTS

Q4: Would this benefit someone who owns property in Mexico, who does not have an FM3/FM2? NO

Q5: What is the renewal process (yearly, or every 5 years) IF YOU HAVE A 5 YEARS VISA YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR ANOTHER VISA

Q6: What is the cost? DEPEND OF THE NATIONALITY

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

LOL Paula...sounds like they do not know for sure themselves what the heck it is and what for.

#25 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

I did find it interesting from the stand point that you can pretty much do as you did before.

From the information that has been posted it appears they are going the plastic cards instead of the Green or Gray books (FM3-Green, FM2-Gray). Which is what we have been expecting.

I can not for the life of me think of a reason for the effort it will take to issue a plastic card for someone on a Tourist Visa.

Also, as we all know, 180 day visa is as simple as asking for it when you arrive at the airport.

Ah, you gotta love it...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Regarding those FIVE YEAR visas, again that appears to be directed to persons from countries that are required to get an advance visa from the Mexican Embassy or Consulate in their home country or if they are citizens of other countries who are residing in the U.S. they could then use Mexican Consulates in the States.

If someone got one of these five year visas, then I assume that means they can go through the normal process like obtaining a visa upon arrival like has always been the case for Americans and many other countries. Mexico is very restrictive of visa applications from some countries. Just like Canada made a surprise move to require Mexicans to obtain visas prior to their travel. Many were already in route when the surprise restrictions went into effect. Many Mexicans without visas to enter the U.S. used to fly to Canada to cruise Alaska and return to their same port of departure.

Many Mexicans were affected by this surprise move based upon an unusual number of Mexicans seeking asylum, they were straining the system. Imagine you have paid for your trip, all charges are not refundable and at the last minute you are told a visa will be needed that will be complicated and time consuming. Some were already in route. Canada gave no warning whatsoever.

I don't think anyone knows what is going on with the changes and it will take months to figure it out. I am glad I am leaving and won't be back until the whole process has been figured out and operational. Just like the cell phones tomorrow, who knows what will happen, but if it does go into effect, there will be a bunch of unhappy people.

I can not imagine plastic ID cards for regular visa holders, especially short term, 4-5 day visitors, much less those for one week. I legally lived for years under 180 day tourist visas, always following Mexican law.

#27 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

The way I read it is that people will be able to still do thir FM3 application at a consulate, but instead of receiving it when it is approved, they will get something placed in thier Passport and have to take it to Immigration for the actual FM3 upon arrival in Mexico.

I got my FM-3 in Dallas, in the visa pages of my passport is my MX Visa w/ an SRE hologram. It permits multiple entries. The visa has scanable data, similar to the US passport. Interestingly, something I hadn't noticed is that my first entry with the visa in my passport the FM-3 has an entry stamp on it.

Of course at the time, I also got the green FM-3 book.

#28 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Karen, Yes mine is also like that. I wondered why they did both.

#29 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

Carey if you speak to Monica can you ask her to confirm this

Ron

Monica Sauza, our resident expert in local immigration procedures, was kind enough to take the time to translate some pertinent information on this subject, sent it along and ask me to post it here. Frankly, I wouldn't bother listening to anyone else besides Monica on this issue. Why? #1. It's a large part of her business -- immigration law, visa renewals and the like #2. She is LOCAL so she has her pulse on how things are done at the Cozumel migracion office and she always one of the first to know when any staff or policy changes are made and/or implementing here on the island.

Here's her response. If you wish to avail yourself of Monica's services, obviously, I recommend her. Email is: mosag@prodigy.net.mx

"Besides the anything about the ongoing speculation of a 5 year multiple visa, issue there have been multiple speculations about what will happen after May 1st. We should all be very careful on what is said because of the misinformation and, again, speculations. As I was told by Immigration’s Local Assistant Director, the intention of these changes is to ease the “red tape”, however I believe that it is still too early to jump into conclusions.

I researched the new Manual and did not find anything about a “5 year multiple visa”; it appears that it’s still 180 days applicable for the FMM (what used to be the Tourist Visa). Here is a brief translation regarding FM3s/FM2s and FMM visas in accordance with the new standards’ manual. We must remember that all these authorizations will always depend on immigration’s sole discretion and determination upon a case-by-case basis.

SECTION I

CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES….

…F) Application Criteria

...6. Effectiveness of the Immigration form. The migratory form is effective from the moment the immigration agent at the entry point places the entry stamp thereof or, otherwise, from the moment the migratory authority issues a resolution authorizing change of migratory status or regularization. Effectiveness of the immigration form, in all cases, must be considered in calendar days.

Calculation of the effectiveness of the FM3 immigration form or FM2 immigration form (applicable to the migratory status of the Immigrant in all migratory statuses) will be considered as follows:

The deadline for the FM3 is specifically on the indicated day, without considering the days which the foreign national actually spent in the country.

The FM2, for Immigrants, is specifically one year after the foreign national enters into the Mexico for the first time and throughout the specified date on the following years.

The FM2, for Permanent Residents is permanent.

The FM2 may be cancelled. In the case of Immigrants when the foreign national has not been in the country for over two years within the five authorized ones. In the case of Permanent Residents, when the foreign national remains over three consecutive years out of the country, as well as if within a ten year term the foreign national would be absent for more than five.

Absence of an Immigrant or Permanent Resident will not be computed only if the foreign national proves that he/she is doing postgraduate studies overseas, supported by a Mexican education institution or when he/she works for a Mexican company overseas, or due to a proven circumstance.

………etc. …..

….H) Multiple Migratory Form

1. The Multiple Migratory Form (FMM) is created and presented in Exhibit 3 hereto; having three main purposes: 1) Gather information of foreign nationals who intend to remain in the country for a maximum period of 180 days; foreign nationals will be able to prove their status in the country with this migratory form; 2) ….

2. Migratory nature an status with maximum stay of 180 days that will be documented through the FMM are: Tourist, Transmigrant, Local Visitors, Temporary Visitors, Cult Ministers or Religious Associates, Distinguished Visitors, Students, News Correspondents, Visitors with non-profitable activities under Businessperson, Human Rights Observer, Visitor observing Electoral Processes, Entertainers or Sportspeople, Technicians or Scientists, amongst others; Visitors with profitable activities such as Professionals, Advisors, Entertainers or Sportspeople, Management Positions, Technicians or Scientists, amongst others.

2.1. Foreign nationals under the above assumptions, must fill out the FMM and present it at the entry point. The immigration authority will hold to the entry registration and will give the foreign national the exit registration.

2.2. Foreign nationals under assumption in item 2 must keep FMM’s exit registration as its their evidence of their legal status in Mexico and must provide it when leaving the country. If lost or stolen, the replacement process must be applied for.

2.3. The duration of the stay that can be authorized in the assumptions indicated in number 2 above are:

- Tourists, up to 180 non-extendable days.

- Transmigrants, up to 30 non-extendable days.

- Temporary visitors, up to 30 non-extendable days.

- Local visitor, up to 3 non-extendable days

- Students, up to 180 non-extendable days.

- Distinguished Visitors, up to 180 non-extendable days and at authority’s sole discretion.

- Cult Ministers or Religious Associates and News Correspondents, up to 180 days.

- Visitors with non-profitable activities under the modalities of:

- Human Rights Observer, 10 days at most

- Visitor observing Electoral Processes effective as per the electoral process and the call made by the electoral body.

- Businessperson, Entertainer or Sportsperson, Technician or Scientist, others, up to 180 days.

- Visitors with profitable activities under the modalities of:

Professional, Advisor, Entertainer, Management Position, Technician or Scientist, Others, up to 180 days

- An Economic Dependent equivalent to the one authorized to the Non-Immigrant from whom he/she will depend, cannot be more than 180 days.

Depending on the nature of each particular case and when the migratory status allows it, the duration of the foreign national’s stay in the country may be extended.

……etc. …..

#30 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

At this moment in time, we're still using the FMT/FMM. It's good to know that it's remaining 180 days! Thanks to Monica!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

Here's the latest update on visas just sent to me by Monica Sauza (thanks, sweetie!)

"This is a short version of the new procedures starting April 30:

As per the information provided by the local immigration office, all applications must be done electronically (even the FMM = tourist visa):

a) Log into the page, choose the option.

B) You will be given a number; with the number and the respective documents, present them at the immigration office.

c) Immigration will make the respective registration and will handle a receipt.

d) You can track the progress of your process electronically.

e) Once you’ve learned your process is ready, an appointment is made in order to have the picture taken for the card.

We will certainly learn more when this is finally in effect.

Anyone who needs a renewal done during May/June, this would be a real good time to use Monica to assist you if you don't speak decent Spanish. I expect it's going to be confusing for awhile to everyone in the office and triple that for applicants who don't do well in Spanish yet.

This electronic system, it may be hoped, will cut down on the corruption opportunities enjoyed by a least one recent jefe of immigration who was subsequently removed.

#32 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

WOW! Lots of information here but I.... find much of it to be confusing at best. When can I apply for my FM3? Can I do it without owning or even being in the process of buying my home? OR should I wait till I make the trip when we actually begin the purchase of said home? Using Monica seems to me to be the key. What time frame (heads up) does she need? If this purchase goes as easy as our first ? I anticipate starting the purchase and hiring Monica before we leave the island to start our FM 3's. If then like the first house we bought, we have clear title 3 months later. I hope to have my FM3 in hand when we then drive down to occupy the house with most of our things..
Is this my first sticky wicket? Can I only import duty free on ONE physical trip? Does Monica use pay-pal for payments?

#33 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Monica is very prompt about returning email. But here are the phones I have for her: 872-5394, cell:044 987-112-4279. Get with her today would be my advice. If she doesn't answer email it could be down as hers very occasionally is. If she doesn't answer calls, she could be off island for a couple of days. But she's very reliable and speaks perfect English

I'm not sure but I don't believe it is a requirement now that you have proof of owning a home to get FM3 status but, as I said, that should be checked with Monica. I didn't have to hand over my fidiecomiso deed the last two times, however. And that used to be required along with the Mexican bank account or apostilled US proof of income.

Yes. You only get one opportunity to import household goods duty free under a set up called a menaje de casa. men-AH-hay day CAH-sah. Household goods have to all come together because they're supposed to check your itemized list against what you're actually bringing in tax free when you enter the country. So they take it away from you at your Mexican entry point and file it in a big shoebox somewhere the first time you present it. You'll never see it again and won't be able to use it again. So you have to consolidate.

I don't imagine Monica takes paypal but who knows. But we're talking a few hundreds of dollars here -- not thousands.

#34 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Owning a home was never a REQUIREment for an FM3. You do need proof of where you live, even if you rent.

#35 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Three or four years running I was required to submit my fideicomiso for inspection as part of the renewal process for the FM-3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users