8 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

Is there a place on the island where we could get truck loads of wood chips? They make great mulch and we will soon have a new, large garden to create. Any suggestions? In the states you can go to a saw mill and get all you want of these typically for free. But I'm thinking all the raw lumber we have here is rough cut on the mainland and shipped over here for finishing. Would I be correct in that assumption?

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

did you finally get the property next door? i saw them cleaning it yesterday and thought about you mentioning that...
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

"Them" is us. We're waiting on the fidi still at this point but the contract is signed by all parties and the money in escrow. So AJ went ahead and cleared it so we could check out the lay of the land. We were hoping there might be a cenote in the center where it's so low but it's not looking that way. We're putting a garden on the lot with lots of shade trees. We have more house than we know what to do with but you can never have too many trees and other plants. Especially in this hot environment.

#4 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

congrats. we would love a small lot like that to build our store so we won't have to rent. good for you!
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

I have always purchased chips from the wood shops around town...not in the quality you need however.

You can buy them for about 10p's if you take your own huge garbage bag.

You might contact Adrian...he has the connections.

People buy lots next to their houses so that business, machine shops...you name it don't build there!

Is the concept of privacy, and security foreign?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

i agree with machine shops and loud places, but a simple mom n pop shop is a good thing. closed by 9pm, no noise and hassles. problem is when you don't know what will be there.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

I've been waiting 12 years for the owners, who bought the very narrow (8 x 50 meters) lot for a song at auction in the '90's to put up a condo on the property as was rumored for years. Since we face north towards the lot, we would be staring at a, typically unpainted grey cement wall if that happened--and it's happened to many people who couldn't or wouldn't buy the lot next to their homes when and if they had the chance.

At least I wouldn't have had to worry about windows peering down into the property -- as long as we were here and watching like hawks during the building. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not law -- just polite custom -- to not place windows close to and overlooking property line walls. I do know and I believe I have this right -- that it's law that you must allow 5 cm ?? of space minimum between your wall and your neighbors wall. Of course, and again, if you're not there when the building is going on and catch things like this, the builders can take plenty of liberties on this count and once it's built they never make them tear it down.

Any other ideas for ground cover and mulch that would keep the weeds down without providing a nice home for mosquitos? Grass is out. Too high maintenance and a real mosquito breeder if ever there was. Currently plan a layer of fine gravel with many mulched island beds but suggestions are always welcome.

I've moving this to the gardening forum.

#8 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

Carey I use wood shavings from Jeff when he has them .. they suppress the weeds , but remember to wet them when you first put them down or they blow everywhere a good soil improver too we put extra down every now and again ...try a small area first to see if you like them they go a darker colour after a while .. but saves my back with all the weeding I had to do before If you need any cuttings I can give you some depends what you are thinking of doing

#9 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

I don't know where to get the wood but can't wait to see what your green garden-space looks like when you and AJ are done. I am sure it will be spectacular just like rest of your property is. Man that is going to add a TON of creative area to your already big corner lot!

Mikes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users