11 replies to this topic

#1 crt

crt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hi all,
We are first time cruisers and first time to Cozumel, so newbies in every sense. I have already learned alot from browsing these forums, but now I need to focus and make some decisions. My family of 5 (boys ages 17 and 20 and a girl age 10 and my almost 50 hubby and I) will be arriving this Saturday on a cruise. We will have from 8 am to 6 pm. I have read many reviews of the different beach clubs, snorkeling trips etc. My family's priorities would be some jet skiing, some snorkeling, some general beach time, and I would like to explore the island a bit, and have a good casual meal. Although I would prefer to avoid the my fellow cruisers and the crowds, given our goals, does it make the most sense to just do a Playa Mia/Sol or Playa Paradise type place so we can kayak and jet ski, use the water trampoline, etc, rather than heading to a more secluded beach? In other words, while I would like to jet ski and kayak on a secluded beach, is that possible?

Does it make sense to get off the ship and head into town to rent a car at Isis? If so, should I definitely reserve that today (cruise leaves tomorrow night from tampa)? I am just feeling a little overwhelmed with all the options, yet want to have a really fun adventurous day. None of us are experienced at jet skiing and have only snorkeled a few times, yet they both sound fun. Can we "go" anywhere on the jet skis, like to different beaches, or do you just kinda tool around?

Renting a car is less expensive than I would have imagined, so it does seem a reasonable alternative to taking taxis all over the place, despite the hassle of going through the rental procedure, esp since there are five of us. Do you agree?

I have read many of the "if you only had one day" topics, and learned alot, but everyone's goals are a bit different. Can anyone suggest a plan for us?

Thank you all so much for sharing your obvious love of Cozumel.

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

I don't recall ever seeing jet skis here, though I could be wrong. You probably won't find them at snorkel places as it would be very dangerous for the snorkelers. Money Bar and Playa Corona have kayaks for rent, also snorkeling gear. I would concentrate on the snorkeling, which is very nice at both places. A nice lunch is available at both places as well.

Not sure your family would fit comfortably in a VW convertible, though Margarita does have some bigger cars, I believe. The main road is torn up and under construction, and traffic can get kinda hairy. You may want to consider a taxi which is not expensive to either place.

#3 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

There are jet skis available for rent at some beach clubs. A recent trip review on TA referenced renting them from "Mike's Beach Club", which is a newer place north of town. Since it is newer and lesser known, I'd guess it would be less crowded than some of the bigger ones like Paradise Beach. I have heard the water isn't the greatest in front of his place, but you could go there, do the jet skis, then head to Club Cozumel Caribe nearby for some decent snorkeling, nice little beach, nice facilities, and good food (The order of Nachos will feed at LEAST 2 people). CCC is just south of hotel Playa Azul.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

That sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for helping this family. I'll second that agenda. It is correct it will be much less crowded.

#5 crt

crt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a bit like a kid in a candy store....so many choices, so little time! At least I am going armed with great "inside" info from all you guys. Really appreciate it. Will let you know how we make out.

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

In August when we were at Playa Paradise, the jet ski rental was $75/day. I think the agenda provided above will be your best bet.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Usually the jet skis are only rented for one or two hours and not the whole day. The driver has to be at least 16 years old and an adult has to sign the waiver/liability and produce a credit card for a deposit. I would rent a car at the pier and drive north up to Caribe Cozumel where you can have a great time at the beach, snorkel on the reefs and have a nice lunch and refreshments. The washrooms and pool and outdoor showers are very nice. Then you can drive into town and shop a little before heading back to your ship, or just take a taxis... Not as crowded as Playa Mia (exclusive to Carnival ships only) or at Paradise Beach. enjoy Cozumel.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I think all of the kids and you and your husband will fall in love with the snorkeling on Cozumel. You won't be able to get the kids out of the water. I agree...try Mikes and then go to CCC near Playa Azul. Jet skiing is expensive and boring after about 30 minutes.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Jet skiing is expensive and boring after about 30 minutes.

I would also like to add that your kids will get waaay too much sun zooming around above the water on one of those thangs. People from 'up north' don't understand that the tropical sun we have down here is a lethal weapon. It burns you fast and it burns you hard. Could ruin the rest of your vacation if you're not careful. I've seen more red skinned people walking around downtown wearing no shirt because it hurts too much to put one on than I can count.

#10 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

When snorkeling remember to put on a waterproof sunblock on your BACK and SHOULDERS...my friends came here last year and forgot, she had a huge burn down her back and had to go to the clinic when she returned home....the sun at any time, bright or cloudy can be very strong here.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#11 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

Sorry for the mistake in my earlier post. Yes, it was $75/hour for the jet ski.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#12 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Don't forget to protect the backs of your legs when snorkeling. I always wear a full length, long sleeved lycra skin in the water to protect myself from anything that stings or bites - also good sun protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users