• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bethelbear

bethelbear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hello all- wanting my fiancÚ, daughter and pets and I to find something simpler, more real. I've been to Cozumel with my family several times and I've absolutely LOVED every moment I was there. I don't want to blind myself with the magic of it, I don't want to think that it won't require work and effort- because I know that it will. However, I can't help but think that for my fiancÚ and I, that there aren't opportunities out there. So this topic is to inspire some real advice from those of you out there who Know. Anything you have to share would be heartily welcomed! :-)

#2 bethelbear

bethelbear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Perhaps I posted a little too hastily - I'm thinking now that I should have given perhaps a little more information out there about us (though generic information is also welcomed). Our daughter is 9 years old, curious and empathic. :-) My fiancÚ (and I'm Not exaggerating whatsoever) is brilliant- skilled in technical skills like guitar, amp, electronic equipment, and computer repair and building. He's also very well-read, philosophical and an Awesomely talented guitar player and song writer. He's most recently been an assembler in a factory manufacturing military-grade navy dive equipment and rigs, as well as an electronic technician for over 10 years prior to that. I am currently working at John Deere as an engineering analyst, but what really makes me Me is my love for animals, nature, and the simple beauty in everyday life that I feel my family and I are missing out on in our 'typical' American life. So, if you need more information than that to give advice, please say so on a post and I'll provide. :-) Thanks Again!

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Read all the topics in this forum and you should browse the other local forums. If you lack financial independence, it will be very difficult. Jobs available and the salaries are very poor. Your daughter might well adapt the best, but schools are just an additional expense. Just for a ball park figure, an average professional job might pay $5-600 dollars monthly and you'd have to adapt to a very frugal, minimal lifestyle to make it. The majority of ex-pats living here and earning a living here, came at a time when the cost of living was a lot less and there were more opportunities. It hasn't been getting easier. The most likely employment is in diamond jewelry sales and time shares.

#4 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

I agree with Charles. If you are thinking of living here and working here, it will probably not happen, especially since there is a lack of jobs for the nationals, just like in the states. However, if you have the funds to live here independantly, it might happen. Be aware, this is Mexico and everything that you expect as normal, might not be normal here. Put it in the perspective as living in the Artic Circle - it is a whole new ballgame. BUT, we who are here, LOVE IT!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

I concur with the above comments -- both from real old-timers who have seen a lot over the years.
I can't stress enough how difficult it will be for you and your boyfriend to find work here. The Mexicans are having trouble finding jobs and they are vastly favored over any ex-pat who might come along. You have to have a skill that can't be bought locally from a Mexican which pretty well gets it down to English as your first language -- hence the grueling ops in time share or jewelry sales.

Forget getting an engineering job. Forget getting a job as a musician -- although maybe over many years here you might be able to find a band and get some late night gigs or work at hotels provided you had the papers that allowed you to do that. Forget even working wait staff. Illegal.

Unless you want to sell to other Americans, the only way to make a living here is to set up your own business. And even then foreigners are subject to a lot of restrictions not imposed on Mexican owners such as much higher taxes, far more inspections, typically, and special requirements like having to employ a certain number of Mexican nationals for every foreigner working in the company.

We are very sorry to pop your bubble. For certain we can tell you that you must come here with money to survive on for minimum 3 months if not longer and just see how it is for yourself. Prove us wrong. We'd love to hear about a success story. But I gotta tell you, the odds are seriously stacked agin it unless you have an outside source of income to keep you afloat for a couple of years here while you try and figure things out.

#6 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I agree with many of the posts....come down here for a few months and not be on vacation...
rent a small place and connect with the locals and expats on the island. Do ask lots of questions and
get real and up to date answers from professional and legal areas. Have all the facts before jumping in down here and making sure its the right move for your family.
We have a small tour company here that we bought 4 years ago on a dive trip...at times, especially low season and the slow economy from the USA, its doesn;t pay all the bills, but it gives us a focus and something to do while living here in paradise. We are fortunate that we have an outside income
from my husband's business in Canada, which fills in the gaps.
Don't give up on your dream, but you have to be realistic especially with a 9 year old girl to consider. Good Luck!!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

"Don't give up on your dream, but you have to be realistic especially with a 9 year old girl to consider."

Well said Sailsgal!!

Cozumel Diving

#8 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Schooling is most difficult for us. We tried a private school for our 4 children to begin with and it was no where near standards at home. We have since been homeschooling which would be somewhat easier with one instead of 4. Goods are abundant, people are helpful and laid back, climate is pretty much the same year round.

#9 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Yep those post pretty much say it all...JSYK I/we...Never lived there full time..
Musicians? a Zillion of them there already .. Certified Scuba Tech? Tons..of them already.. same goes for Dive Instructors both National and Expat.. Schooling? So I hear? Tough $$ Is it Up to USA Standards? Might be, depends on where your coming from..
I know there are good private schools in Merida, but I have gotten mixed reports about "some " on Cozumel..
How about this? Drive down in June. Rent a place small 2/2 see what its like. Put yourselves on a budget.. Money in a jar every month. Jar gets empty you stop spending for the rest of the month... See how that goes..How much ? NOT what you make at home each month.. maybe $1000 tops.. Rent utilities food gas car insurance everything.. see how far $1000 a month goes.. Come the end of August ? You decide? I might question the 3 month kitty ? Only as much as to add . You really should figure on leaving/having in a separate account, enough to get back home on. Enough to live on there until you have new jobs..( 6 months living expenses in the USA?) and then start this all over again..We may go back to Cozumel. We were never full time. I am retired and we live outside Chicago, just fine and dandy on what I get from my pension.. We know our real estate taxes will drop $8,000USD a year hahaha thats got to help : ) Wishing you only the best..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users