• 5,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I received the follow aleart from the Merida U.S. Consulate

U.S. ConsulateMerida, Mexico
Consular Section
Warden Message dated January 12, 2011

Outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease

Regency Club Vacation Resort and Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa, Cozumel, Mexico

The Centers for Disease Control today issued a news brief regarding an outbreak of Legionnaire’s Disease at the Regency Club Vacation Resort and Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa (formerly Reef Club Cozumel).

There is no generally elevated risk of Legionnaire’s Disease in Cozumel, the Yucatan Peninsula, or other parts of Mexico. This warning pertains specifically to the above mentioned hotels, not to Cozumel as a whole.

Following is the text of the news brief:
“Situation Information

An outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease is ongoing at the Regency Club Vacation Resort and Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa (formerly Reef Club Cozumel) on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. Since May 2008, there have been a total of nine confirmed cases of Legionnaires’ disease among tourists from the United States and the Netherlands who have stayed at this resort. Based on findings from a public health investigation in April 2010, disinfection of the resort’s shared potable water system was recommended. Although measures were taken at the resort to disinfect the water system, in December 2010, CDC was notified of the ninth case associated with the resort, suggesting that there is an ongoing source of exposure.

Recommendations for U.S. Travelers

Legionnaires’ disease is a pneumonia caused by inhaling aerosolized water contaminated with Legionella bacteria. Legionnaires’ disease is not transmitted from person to person. Misty water such as that given off by hot tubs, cooling towers, spray misters, showerheads, and faucets is a common source of Legionella.

Travelers at high risk of infection should consider staying at another resort or should avoid exposures to misty water at the Regency Club Vacation Resort and the Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa, especially showering. High risk groups include:

· Current or former smokers

· People aged 50 or older

· People with any of the following chronic health conditions:

o Diabetes

o Chronic lung disease, such as COPD or emphysema

o Weakened immune system that might be caused by cancer, organ transplant, certain prescription drugs

o Other chronic conditions, such as chronic kidney disease, asthma, heart disease, or liver disease

Rarely, people without any risk factors develop Legionnaires’ disease after exposure to Legionella.

Symptoms begin 2–14 days after exposure and include high fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Many people also have diarrhea, headaches, or muscle aches. Legionnaires’ disease can be a severe and fatal illness but most persons will recover with appropriate antibiotic treatment. Travelers who develop these symptoms during their trip or in the 2 weeks following their trip should see a doctor. Travelers seeing a doctor in the United States should be sure to tell the doctor that they have traveled to Cozumel and stayed at the Regency Club Vacation Resort or Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa in Mexico. A milder illness caused by the same type of Legionella bacteria is called Pontiac fever. The symptoms of Pontiac fever usually last for 2–5 days and may also include fever, headaches, and muscle aches; however, there is no pneumonia. Symptoms of Pontiac fever go away without treatment.

More Information

The Legionella bacteria got its name in 1976 when many people who went to a Philadelphia convention of the American Legion suffered from pneumonia (lung infection). Each year, 8,000 to 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires' disease in the United States. People get Legionnaires' disease when they breathe in a mist or vapor (small droplets of water in the air) that has been contaminated with the bacteria.

For more information about Legionella, visit CDC’s Legionellosis Resource Site.

For additional information about travel to Mexico, visit the Mexico Destination Page on CDC’s Travelers’ Health website.”

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the State Department's Internet web site at www.travel.state.gov where the current Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, Travel Warnings and Public Announcements can be found. Up to date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). The State Department’s main line can be reached at 1-202-647-4000. American citizens traveling or residing overseas are encouraged to register with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the State Department's travel registration website at https://travelregist...e.gov/ibrs/ui/. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

The U.S. Consulate in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, has responsibility for the Mexican States of Quintana Roo, Yucatan, and Campeche. The Consulate can be reached during its regular business hours (M-F, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) by telephone at 999-942-5700; by fax at 999-942-5777; and by email at meridacons@state.gov. After hours, for emergencies involving U.S. citizens, call the Consulate’s main number and follow instructions to be connected to the Merida duty officer.

Contact Information

U.S. Consulate Merida
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcala Martin Merida, Yucatan, Mexico 97050

011-52-999-942-5700 (direct dial from the U.S.)
202-250-3711 (Vonage dialing from the U.S.)
01-999-942-5700 (dialing from within Mexico)
942-5700 (dialing from within Merida)

Open Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Consular Agency Cancun

U.S. Consular Agency Cancun

Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13 ZH

Torre La Europea, Despacho 301

Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico C.P. 77500

011-52-998-883-0272 (direct dial from the U.S.)
202-640-2511 (Vonage dialing from the U.S.)
01-998-883-0272 (dialing from outside Cancun but within Mexico)
883-0272 (dialing from within Cancun)

Open Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Consular Agency Cozumel

Plaza Villa Mar en el Centro, Plaza Principal, (Parque Juárez between Melgar and 5th Avenue) 2nd floor, locales #8 and 9, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

011-52-987-872-4574 (direct dial from the U.S.)
202-459-4661 (Vonage dialing from the U.S.)
01-987-872-4574 (dialing from outside Cozumel but within Mexico)
872-4574 (dialing from within Cozumel)

Open Monday – Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Consular Agency Playa del Carmen

Plaza Villa Mar en el Centro, Plaza Principal, (Parque Juárez between Melgar and 5th Avenue) 2nd floor, locales #8 and 9, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico).

011-52-984-873-0303 (direct dial from the U.S.)
202-370-6708 (Vonage dialing from the U.S.)
01-984-873-0303 (dialing from outside Playa Del Carmen but within Mexico)

Open Monday – Thursday, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Local Authorities (Police, Fire, Ambulance)

Dial 066

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Man, that place has been having problems for at least two years, haven't they? I hate to see bad news posted here. But in this case, Paula, thanks for putting your duty to the general good above your desire to protect the island we all love from any bad publicity.

It should be stressed that the consulate posting makes clear this is specifically a warning in regards to a single hotel complex and does not impact ANY other establishments on Cozumel.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

I read that today also. That warning is really going to hurt the hotel. That sucks. I would still stay there.

#4 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Oh not again!!

It is not only going to hurt that hotel but all of them! You know it is like the Narco thing in Mexico... Everybody believes that the problem is in all the country but is only bad in the north. Now with this gossip being around will affect the other hotels.

It is a bad thing! :blink:

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I asked prior to posting the Alert from the US Counsel in Merida (I do not believe they participate in "gossip") from the Webmistress if I should post it.

This has nothing to do with the drug wars on the boarder, this is a health issue, and legitimate concern.

If you are in the risk group, then you need to have knowledge about what it is, and whom it can effect.

Does anyone think I wanted to post this? NO. The last thing in the world I would want to do is harm Cozumel.

What is Legionnaires' disease?

1. Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia. It was named after an outbreak of severe pneumonia that affected a meeting of the American Legion in 1976. It is an uncommon but serious disease.

2. It is actually one of a group of similar diseases collectively known as legionellosis. The other forms, eg Pontiac Fever and Lochgoilhead Fever, have similar symptoms but are not as serious as Legionnaires' disease.

3. Legionnaires' disease occurs more frequently in men than women. It usually affects middle-aged or elderly people, and it more commonly affects smokers or people with other chest problems.

4. About half the cases of Legionnaires' disease are caught abroad, and useful advice on travel can be obtained from the European Working Group for Legionella Infections link to external website[2] (EWGLI). The other half are the result of infections acquired in the UK.

How do people get it?

5. The agent that causes Legionnaires' disease is a bacterium called Legionella pneumophila. People catch Legionnaires' disease by inhaling small droplets of water suspended in the air, which contain the bacteria.

6. Certain conditions increase the risk from legionella:

* a suitable temperature for growth, 20 to 45oC;
* a source of nutrients for the organism, eg sludge, scale, rust, algae, and other organic matter;and
* a way of creating and spreading breathable droplets, eg the aerosol created by a cooling tower or spa pool.

However, remember that most people exposed to legionella do not become ill, and Legionnaires' disease does not spread from person to person.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Wow...!

First of all... When I refer by "Gossip" I Was not exactly taking about your Post. I think you did the right thing as you say is a health issue and legitimate concern.

I said it because there is gossip already in town talking about this! and when I mean gossip is because it is a very different info than what you are saying in here. Concerning at Narco.. I olny used it as an example of how certain information well explained can turn into something else or different from an other person to person or even the news!

My apologies if I offended you!

#7 grapplingvice

grapplingvice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

WOW... I am going /coming to Cozumel in February and have a reservation there at the Wyndham. SO I sent an email just simply asking about the situation because I had a little concern and just wanted to know if things had been addressed and that it was safe there now.. They simply responded with " Your reservation has been cancelled and you can expect a full refund with in 3 days" WOW... couldn't believe it...I wasn't even asking for that ..just wanted to know more info fromt the hotel itself.. Makes me wonder if the problem is bigger than it appears??? Well..I am coming there anyway - LOVE LOVE LOVE Cozumel!! Now I just have to find a different place to stay. Maybe the Iberostar or El Cozumeleno..hhmm so many choices.. Anyway..just wanted to share and thanks to everyone for posting up there info!!

#8 Diego_Andrade

Diego_Andrade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

the Regency Club Vacation Resort, is the time-share section of Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa (for members only)not a different hotel,
Check it out!

#9 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

grapplingvice... We need more people like you!! Thanks for coming to Cozumel!

:lol:

#10 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I will still be coming to Cozumel in February.
Cindy

#11 grapplingvice

grapplingvice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

where you staying cindy??

#12 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

We are staying at the Fontan this trip.
Cindy

#13 Dive Girl

Dive Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

My husband and I will be in Cozumel next week. This will be our second trip. And I'm sure it will not be our last. We've fallen in love with the island, the people, the diving and the resorts. See you soon, Cozumel!

#14 OSUCowgirl

OSUCowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, horses, Oklahoma State University and sitting on the beach

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

We just returned from a stay at the Wyndham Resort & Spa. They were very open about the report and even offered copies of the water test results. They appear to be doing a lot to regain confidence. I found the resort to be very clean (as clean as you get in Mexico) and our party of six were very pleased with the staff and the resort. We used our regular precautions (drinking only bottled water) and I have yet to get sick on any of our trips to Cozumel. While looking into this report - before we left - I found that there were several cases of Legionnaires reported in the US & Canada. You have to realize that you must be tuned into the sights, sounds,and smells - regardless of where you are staying and eating.

#15 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

We too are planning on coming back to Cozumel in March or April and we have stayed at this same hotel and loved it and I wanted to stay there again. I do have a weakened immune system but I dont get sick all the time like one would think. I believe we will be giving this place another try.

#16 snorkelgirl

snorkelgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

This will be our first time at Wyndham (now Sabor???) in Cozumel along with 3 other couples. We made our reservations 8 months ago. Having read the health alert about the resort we are now a bit nervous. We are going to be there mid March for 8 days. Do we change locations now or just be very, very cautious???? We don't want to put a damper on this trip. Thanks for any suggestions.......

#17 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

I am an owner in the Reef Club section and we are hearing prelim. tests have come back ok. They have installed special equipment in the water systems and flushed everything out. If anyone has heard different please let me know so I can pass it along to the other owners.

Thanks
Craig

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

as per the CDC web site (03/2/11) (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov...mel-mexico.aspx) unfortunately, this is still an open case.

I have read that the hotel has done water testing, and as you said, THEY state it has come back clean.

I truly hope that is the case, and this contamination has finely been resolved.

I would still take into consideration those who are in the identified risk group(s) to take precautions.

Anonymous

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

I found this buried on TA from yesterday...(two of the regular contributors, who do NOT live here) when asked about this situation at this resort posted that this was"OLD NEWS", and of NO concern.

Then this post popped up, and was not addressed, and ignored...do NOT ignore the health warning about this..

A person from London Ontario,Canadian reported the following on March 3rd, 2011 on TA.

"Hello

I just returned from the Sabor Resort ill on March 2 2011

On my 3rd day I came down with all the symptoms of Legionnaires

Hard for me due to other medical issues

In and out of the Mexican Hospital

Back home in Canada and went to our Hospital were they are currently treating me as having Legionnaires

Blood work

Urine Test

X-Rays

Antibiotics

It has been reported and currently awaiting test results

Anonymous

#20 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

The TA posters didn't say it was of no concern. They just said that particular link was old news. If I was going there and was in the health risk category...I would not stay there...just as a matter of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users