14 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Anyone seen it for sale on the island? I haven't tried in a few years but now we're down to our last half can!!! If you've seen it I'd appreciate being saved some time rooting around town for it.

#2 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Anyone seen it for sale on the island? I haven't tried in a few years but now we're down to our last half can!!! If you've seen it I'd appreciate being saved some time rooting around town for it.

Sunshine makes me happy!

#3 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:good people...clear water diving...Music- Listening or joining in on percussion..bicycling..fixing things....helping businesses grow through effective advertising....living permantly on the Isaland if I can figure out some sorta income.(Legally-of course)

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hi Carey. Just moved here after visiting for 25 years. I brought down the only can of Tri_Flow(silicone spray) that I had along with bike. I am still setting up my apartment and am going to many hardware stores, Etc. If I see any I will certainly let ya know.

Cary
Sunshine makes me happy!

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

I've never been able to find Tri-Flo (PTFE) on the island, but it is the all purpose lube for our bikes. I used it on critical parts on my race cars as well. (Things you don't want to get stuck like throttles and brake balance bars.) The only drawback is it attracts dust so it needs cleaning and replacing in dusty environments. Tri-Flo does seem to be a better rust inhibitor than dry lube or WD40 but it is expensive. We keep our Cozumel bikes inside the condo to protect them from moisture and we drown all the chains in Tri-Flo to prevent rust. So far so good.

The last time we were on the island,I went to my three usual places looking for WD-40 to perform some general maintenance work. Couldn't find it anywhere. It is such a commodity product on the island they should put it next to the bottled water.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

Carey,

I'm pretty sure that the last can I bought was at one of three places, Casa Lopez on 30th, Exito or at the Mobil store on 65th. Sorry that I can't be more specific but it's just been so long since I bought any.
If you happend to be at Mega I think I saw some on the shelf in auto/paint section but that was a few months ago.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

Carey,

I'm pretty sure that the last can I bought was at one of three places, Casa Lopez on 30th, Exito or at the Mobil store on 65th. Sorry that I can't be more specific but it's just been so long since I bought any.
If you happend to be at Mega I think I saw some on the shelf in auto/paint section but that was a few months ago.

Ah! So it IS available on the island now! Woo. I'll start the hunt as soon as it stops raining and warms up a little bit. Brrr

#7 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Dive shops have "food grade" liquid silicon spray(used on some dive items), good for use on kitchen items.....$$$.

T.

#8 QueenAngel

QueenAngel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Have you tried Casa Rubber? Last time I was there, they had WD-40 in large and small cans. Not sure about silicone spray.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Casa Lopez is not familiar with liquid silicon as a lubricant. That's one down. I'll be trying Rubber and Galileo and the auto place on 65 by Juarez. Also Meg an Chec Otherwise if anyone happens to see it on the mainland, kindly let me know would you?

#10 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Check with Auto Zone in Cancun, there is one on the south side of town and one by Home Depot.

T.

#11 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

scuba repair carries it. they always have lots and it lasts forever.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

scuba repair carries it. they always have lots and it lasts forever.

Sweet! That's the place back around 75 off Juarez by the water tower?

#13 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

Carey, have you checked with Scuba Planet/Sherwood Scuba, their on the west(right) side of 15 between 5 and 7.

T.

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

scuba repair, calle 1 between 85 and 90 or 90 and 95. transversal, turn right at the boxito, then the next right on 1. it is about a block on the right side.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#15 carybut

carybut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

It's not Tri Flow at the www.Cozumelscubarepairshop.com, but I just picked a spray can of food grade silicone spray there that seems to work well so far as a lube.It is called Marine Sports ( www. silicone spray in a 10 oz can for about $10 US.

There address is Calle 1 a. Sur entre 85&90 Av. 987 869

Marine Sports = belo

Attached File  marine sports.gif   200.1KB   2 downloadswAttached File  marine sports.gif   200.1KB   2 downloads

8116.http://www.marinesportsmfg.com/NO-FOG-SILICONE--CLEANSER-PAGE-8.html

Marine Sports
Sunshine makes me happy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users