Hogar de Ancianios

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scubajanie

scubajanie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I am an Inkeeper for 20 years now, and my interests are everything that people do!
    But my real interests are my 4dachshunds, raising my orchids, and gardening in general. I was a diver but no more, but I will always be a grandma to my 3 grandaughters.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

For your information: There exists in Cozumel a home for the aged, called Hogar de Ancianos, on Ave 30. They need help badly. Any of you locals or anyone coming down can help by donating things they need.
I have a short list and a long list of items they desperately need, not to mention money for operations.
Short list only.
Twin sheets, new or used
Twin bedspreads new or used
Pillows and pillow cases
lap blankets
Personal items like shampoo toothpaste soap
They will also need more beds and lots of funiture, not new of course.
I will be holding a fundraiser in March to help with expenses. The plans are being made for this event and I hope to post the time and place on this forum in the next week.
Please help these old folks. They are in the home because they have no family and no where to go. It is a really sad situation.
The director is Janie Melendez, the lady in charge at the home is Ruth. They are on the east side of 30th, just a couple blocks up from ave 11. Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated. If you have donations of any kind I will be happy to come by your house to pick them up. I hope I can rally some support for these people, I know there are many charities in Cozumel, but this one has not been noticed by the foreign population so far.
My number is 872 0111 to call for information or to pick up donations. Thank you so much for your time!
Janie Robertson, Las Lunas Inn.
We are all living on borrowed time! www.drippingsprings.com

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

Good luck Janie, that is one project I have long wanted to be involved in some way. It is such an ugly situation, completely void of any cute, cuddly, furry, feel good aspect that many that know of its existence, just can't handle thinking about it. It is very sad that so many people find themselves in this situation.

My high school back in the 1960s had a program that involved students with the residents of a near by rest home. Of course their physical needs were well met, its purpose was on interaction, sharing wisdom and interesting experiences gained over a lifetime. Far more elderly find themselves in this situation in Cozumel now, where they are distantly separated from their family than many people would like to acknowledge. So many of the original residents that helped to make this island what it is today, have two or more generations of family scattered across the land out of economic survival. They lack the resources to help with the physical or emotional needs of many that deserve the best.

Probably any and every item would make a small and welcome difference. I have long planned to donate our annual assorted leftover items that aren't practical to transport or store. This is one of the worthy projects that is in urgent, critical need.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

i am doing some spring cleaning and may have some stuff for ya.
my kid's former daycare did a visit to the folks there for easter a couple of years ago, all dressed up in their little outfits and brought them fresh fruit baskets and sang. brought some much needed smiles to their faces. it was a nice gesture organized by his school. good luck janie.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users