• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Golf Lady

Golf Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm looking for some assistance in choosing a Dental Surgeon in Cozumel. I require 2 implants so must be a surgeon rather than a family dentist. The dental vacation concept is awesome, Cozumel looks beautiful - now I'm hoping someone will be able to recommend someone to do the work for me! Thank you in advance!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,037 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

I like Dr. Luis Angel who is an excellent dental surgeon and since he speaks excellent English that's a plus as well. You will need to make a set of appointments in advance however as he is very busy. Two or three weeks in advance should be plenty of time. Office: 872-0808, His staff speak no English so you'll have to ask to talk with him personally. Say: esta Dr. Angel? es-TAH doh-cTOR ahn-HELL? No hablo espanol. (Is Dr. Angel there? I don't speak Spanish). If they start talking at you in fast Spanish and don't put you on hold, find out when he'll be in the office so you can call back -- Cuando el regresa a la oficina? QWAHN-doh el ray-GREY-sah ah la oh-fee-SEE-na?
Of course, if you can't understand Spanish numbers, you're outta luck. Know anyone who speaks Spanish?

Other alternative is to just keep calling and hope you catch him in and not in the middle of a root canal.

It's much less expensive, the work is excellent. But as you see, some work and planning is necessary to get the best people -- particularly ones who are fluent in english which you really want for any medical procedure.

#3 Golf Lady

Golf Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I agree that some planning ahead of time can go a long way & I appreciate your Spanish phrases!!!

#4 Charritas

Charritas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Definately, Dr Luis Angel !
I have had a full mouth of work done from him over the years and am very satisfied.
The Dr. and I have been discussing the possiblity of using my guest house in Cozumel
as a place for his clients to stay while on a "Dental vacations".
Let me know if are in need of further information

#5 dreamer

dreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Hi,
I was wondering if your implants have been done? Also would you be interested in e-mailing so we can talk more.
I need three implants myself and contacted CostaMed Medical Group this week about it.
Thanks

#6 dreamer

dreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi Carey,

I see you recommended Dr. Angel for a dentist, could you tell me is he expensive or not? I lost my three front teeth and talked to a Dentist here in Oklahoma and they want several thousand dollars to replace them. He also said I was not a canidate for implants and need a permanent bridge. Could you also give me more information on calling to Mexico, what about area code and such?

Thank You

Dreamer

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Obviously a dentist can't give you prices over the phone and I have no idea what he would charge you. I can tell you that the dentists in Mexico and Cozumel are very good on the whole and prices typically might be as much as 1/3 what the same work would cost in the states. Dr. Luis Angel is one of the best on the island and speaks good English so is a favorite of foreigners and ex-pats. Another associate he's brought into his office, Jasmine, is also an excellent dentist who speaks even better English. And you could get an appointment with her on shorter notice. A stateside friend of my husbands financed his trip down and then some by having her do some crowns for him and he was well pleased with the work.

Office # is 878 0808. Look up on the internet how to call Mexico but the country code is 52 and the area code here is 987. No English will be spoken by the receptionist so you'll have to say this:
Necessito hablar a una persona que entende inglais por favor. I need to speak to a person who understands English please.

And then be prepared to wait.

I'm also hearing good things about Dra Alejandra Novoa who also speaks English but I only have a cellular for her which is tough to call and costs the recipient a humongous amount from outside the country so I'm not giving that out.

I suggest you call and get an appointment and then plan to come down for a couple of weeks while the work is being done. Typically you could come down for two weeks, make your appointment when you get here for a couple of days later and have all the work done within a two week period. Especially if you go with Jasmine. Luis is much busier but dentists down here don't overbook like they do in the states.

Hope this helps. I have nothing else to add but someone else might have another recommendations. I was assuming you needed a dentist who spoke English. These tend to charge more than others here but it will still be a very substantial savings for good work. At least in my opinion. I've only had crowns done.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

I was very underwhelmed when I contacted Dra Alejandra Novoa in an emergency after being abandoned by someone who would have been formerly recommended here. When she called her dental assistant/hygienist "muchacha", I knew I should seek relief elsewhere.

I used Dr Miguel Peraza Peniche, new office on calle 3 between 25 & 30. He took care of my emergency and then did a crown when he was still working out of Clinica San Miguel. He did bridge work for both me and the wife this past year at his new office. He did say that he had English speaking only patients, but my appointments were all in Spanish. He is a dentist that when you meet him, he inspires confidence. I rate him as the best at giving injections of "novocaine", a very critical skill. Dr Peraza's specialty would be crowns and bridge work.

For what it is worth, Dr Luis Angel is the only dentist that uses crowns made on the island. The dental laboratory is owned by his second ex-wife I believe. The other dentists use labs in Merida or Mexico City, but the turn around time is very rapid, three days for crowns, five days to a week for bridge work (or less). Dental costs might be 1/3 of the States for the more advanced and complicated procedures (implants for one), but overall costs might be 1/5th or even less. I have more confidence in the dentistry here. I would recommend having dental work done here for the quality, the big discount in cost is just an added bonus.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

I'm sure your dentist is great, Charles. However, I've had some dubious experiences with doctors that say they speak English and then it turns out they understand less English than I have Spanish skills. Literally. Went to two such in Merida who claimed they had a handle on English. One for a hernia op and another a dermatologist. The plastic surgeon in Cancun ain't very good either although at least he ha a full time assistant with English as her first language. All 3 docs try as hard as they could and were very apologetic. But they just didn't have the skills and I think we can all agree that's particularly necessary for any medical procedure.

To the original query I would suggest calling the San Miguel Clinic and getting this dentist's phone from them. Call him yourself and see how much English he can handle.

Clinica San Miguel #s
011-52-(987) 872 0103
011-52-(987) 872 6155
011-52-(987) 872 58 50
011-52-(987) 872 32 41

they speak good English here.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

I believe there is a dentist at Clinca San Miguel, but I know nothing about him or her. My dentist, Dr. Peraza was working there last year, but opened his new office this past Fall. We went by the Clinca San Miguel and saw the dental hygienist to find his new location. Dr Peraza worked at San Miguel for 1.5-2 years and it was Dra Planas that recommended him to us.

I have no idea about his English skills. Dra Planas only speaks Spanish to me, English with Viola. I had three appointments with Dr Negron all in Spanish before I found out he spoke English semi fluently. My general family doctor, Dr Ortegon, I speak only English to him, but he speaks Spanish to me. I didn't know Dr Luis Angel spoke English as he asked me to translate to patients a few times when I was his next door neighbor years back. Agreed, you need to be able to comfortably communicate and that goes the same for in the U.S. If a doctor tries to show off his medical vocabulary and you don't understand something, I'd make sure I got an understood explanation.

#11 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Dentist in Cozumel. I have several inputs that Dr. Luis Erives is the best in Cozumel. He is located at Av 65 and Calle 11. He speaks English. First language is Spanish.

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

yes that's the other dentist that works in the same practice as Dr. Angel who does speak very good English now, by the way. You can reach him at the same number I gave for Dr. Luis and Dr. Jasmine

#13 dreamer

dreamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

Hi Carey,

I just wanted to say thank you for all the information you guys sent. We are arriving in Coz on Monday Feb 28 and I'm so ready to see the island again and see what has changed and not. It's been almost ten years since I visited last so it's long overdue.

Thanks again.

Dreamer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users