• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 katrocity

katrocity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

We will be in Coz next week for the first time and are interested in renting scooters for a day to explore the island. Can someone give me an idea of cost? How safe is it to drive? Are there any rental companies that are better than others? Do we need to take insurance?

Thanks!

#2 gcwright

gcwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

The cost? Possibly your life. For the same price, you can rent something with 4 wheels. Please do NOT rent scooters.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Kat, DO NOT RENT A SCOOTER...Mr. Wright is correct, it may cost you your life.

I have tried to help people who have fallen, I have sat by those who where broken, and badly injured, and I have had to testify in court as to what I saw when someone was killed here...I have nightmares over what I have seen.

Just last week, my husband I where driving home from the beach, a scooter was laying in the middle of the road...the police had just arrived and where looking for victims along the side of the road, they riders where not even visible!

I think we have made our point...rent something with 4 wheels, take FULL, NO Deductible insurance, wear your seat belts, and enjoy the island safely.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

NO SCOOTERS! It's extremely dangerous...even for locals who ride them everyday of their lives. And it's getting worse all the time. If we have not convinced you yet...do a search in the box above to read previous posts on this topic.

#5 "El tío"

"El tío"

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:know all people in the world...

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

HI I been reading all your opinions. And I respect it.But I´m not agree about.
Firstable if you been driving before not worry just follow the rules as any guest going diving or driving a car , take care your self , drive slowly, use helmet as you were the seat belt, stop every corner see boot sides, as you do on car ,drive at defense way as you do on car and enjoy your day as you do in car.

I sugest you an scooter and car rental in the island. Mayan Rider locate at benito juarez
corner with 10ª av across the street of sn miguel church. Rate $25 u.s.a for 24 hrs o for a day, they have a very fancy scooters almost news, all free mails,basic inssurange.

Regards

José

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Also, make sure you update your will, and find a way your loved ones can get your body back through customs. Not as easy as you may think.

#7 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

I recommend walking or taking a cab. You'll live longer that way. Other people on here are giving you really good advice, riding a scooter around the streets of Cozumel is not very safe.
I'm a fish!

#8 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:24 AM

Something I recommend!

1.- Don't rent a scooter!!

To many accidents with scooters...Even local people!

;)

#9 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

Please take note that only one response says it's safe to rent a scooter! He probably owns or works at the company he recommended. People are seriously injured or die far too often. It's just not worth the risk.

Here's a thought. Got ot Rentadora Isis on Ave. 5 between 2 and 4. Tell Margarita Kandy sent you, and you'd like to rent a scooter. When she ultimately tells you no, and offers to rent you a car, thank her. She cares more about your life!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#10 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

José,

I can tell you are local and maybe Mexican... So am I? I drive a scooter cause I'm so used to it and I can't afford a car in these moments but even sometimes when I drive mine I freak out :unsure: . I also respect your opinion but when it is about tourist people we suppose to take care of them and driving a scooter is not such a good idea, to many accidents...At least 5 a day!

Welcome to the forum! :)

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

heck, there is no discrimination of scooter accidents here...everyone is an equal organ donor.

Use your head, or leave it on the pavement. Your choice.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Lily Badea

Lily Badea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

I agree with "El Tio". You really dont have to worry if u have been driving before. so better stay calm and start riding a scooter but make sure with all the mechanics of that model. I have been riding a Moped from 5 years and suddenly due to some reason i was unable to drive for an year, now again i am starting to drive. With a year long gap at first i felt nervousness but as i am riding the nervousness is vanishing. i loved my moped and so i would love to drive it.

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

i always ask people who are insistent on renting a scooter/moped:
do you own a moped and do you drive one often in your hometown?
are you very very familiar with the roads and traffic patterns of cozumel?
if you answer no to 1 of the 2 questions, then rent a car. with a car, you can have a designated driver for those wanting to drink their way around the island too.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users