Pet Food

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lexicon

lexicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, walking, pets and all animal life, beaches. lots of sun, good Mexican food.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

Want to know where I can find good pet shops in Cozumel. Looking for organic pet food that had vegetables, spices, fish and real meat in it. I was buying Canadiae in Canada, wondering if it can be bought here. If not, maybe some recommendations from readers.

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

I believe you can get that at the Vets on Ave 25 between Calle 11 and 13

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

check with my vet on food...http://www.cmvcozumel.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

It's very tough -- and expensive -- getting premium quality dog food here. I feed my poodles Pro Plan Plus which was recommended by my breeder as a good brand that's sold internationally. One of my vets carries it and it's also available at the mascotas store on Juarez between 20 and 25. I also supplement this with yogurt and vegetables.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

As a side note here on pet food, Soriana has baby aquatic reptile food for turtles. I don't see items labeled reptile food in grocery stores often if you don't count the mice that used to live in SuperMaz. I miss the resident Mexican Wood Turtles we had last year. They had moved in and set up households after Wilma. They seemed to thriving on a mixed diet, laying eggs which produced young, an ideal environment. The young babies would touch people food, but the adults were near omnivores, fruit, eggs, cheese and of course chicken. They seemed to love chicken as much as parrots do. Always nice to see 3-4 turtles on your patio attempting to portray that starving turtle look. Although I avoid feeding wild animals, these had become well domesticated by their own efforts. If that step wasn't so high, I'm sure they would have come right inside.

I had friends that did the work to prepare their own dog food. They used a commercial product, but cooked up a big pot 2-3 times a week of assorted vegetables with some meats. They started with an older dog, but he did so well they started using it with the younger ones too. Lots of carrots, corn & broccoli to go with the base dry food. The animals loved it.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

I went through a make your own dog food stage when I first came down here and there was just NOTHING available but the worst of the worst at the grocery store. But it was SO much work. I even used to save my egg shells and grind them up in a mocajete to supply the additional needed calcium. The thing is that even small dogs need a LOT of the home made stuff because it's not concentrated. So you can easily become a slave. But now I'm starting to feel guilty. I'm going to get up right now and give Nikki and Sug each half a carrot.

Your description of those baby turtles is hilarious, Charles

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

In the back of Isste there are many types of dog foods, in bags of many sizes, at a lot lower prices than the vets.

Cozumel Diving

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

I'll check it out. But Purina Pro-Plan Plus is working for my dogs and it's a heck of a lot less than Eukannuba ?? and the other special brands the vets sell. Minerva on 95 is the only vet I know who sells Purina Pro-Plan and, of course, her prices are higher than from the pet store on Juarez between 15 y 20.

I used to feed my dog's Hill's Science Diet that I got from Julio the vet. But when I had a dog die of diabetes I mentioned this to the breeder from whom I was buying a new pup and she said that Hill's Science Diet had been singled out as being a particularly BAD dog food. So from that I took away the information that just because the vet sells it, doesn't mean it's any good. You better do your own research. Which, thank goodness, we can all now do because we have reliable internet connecting us with the rest of the world. (Frankly, I don't believe I could live here without the internet.)

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

There's the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet, but it sounds like a lot of work. Seriously. There's a website.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

BARF!!! that's funny.

I do receive on a monthly newsletter that gives free recipes to make dog threats.

I don't let the dogs use the stove, so they are kind of SOL on getting me to make them.

If anyone is interested it's HomemadeDogTreatRecipes.com

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Royal Canin is very food for pet also. No by-products in it.
It is available at Ivan - Oasis Vet Clinic on 25 Ave

http://www.royalcani...ary.php?lang=en

#12 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Here is a good site for scientifically rated Dog Food ... http://blogs.dogtime...et-an-a-or-an-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users