#1 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

HI Divers,

I thought this was an interesting find...The M/Y Moondiver is the mexican caribbean's only live-aboard and they seem to be based here out of Cozumel! I had no idea there was a diving live-aboard here. Their standard route covers Cozumel, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen (Bull sharks) Sian-Kan Marine Reserve. Anyone heard of this operation or tied them? www.divingplaces.com

~~Laura
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#2 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Interesting... It took me a little while but I did finally find a site http://diveadvice.co...Moondiver.htm.. Humm They say.. Cozumel to Alacranes, Holbox, Chinchorro, Puerto Morelos and Xcalat.
Thats All The way over by Progreso.. Zero Dive pressure to speak of for sure ,being 60 miles off the coast. Captain Pilots all night, while I sleep..
Works for me ... No Published Cost sheet however...

#3 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

When we were in Coz in November I saw the Moondiver anchored up by El Cozumeleno. I wondered what it was up to.
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

That is interesting. There used to be another one back in the late 80's I believe. It was owned by the Barbachanos and anchored at the Cozumel Caribe. They would offer hotel and live aboard vacations with diving at Banco Chinchorro.
After a few years the Oceanus was traded for a penthouse on the island or in Playa.

Posted Image

#5 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Gee.... I wonder why that didn't go over big hahaaha Old platform tender humm didn't even bother to paint it or remove the davits hahaha
Not exactly what most people are looking to spend a couple thousand dollars a week to live on and dive off....

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:08 AM

I was going to say it sure doesn't look very shipshape!

#7 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

The M/Y Moondiver ..seen here http://diveadvice.co...Moondiver.htm.. looks very nice ..

humm sorry this morning that link doesnt work.. hummm did a couple days ago hummm

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

The boat in the photo looks like the boat The Rita from the old movie "The Creature From The Black Lagoon". Actually, now that I think about it, The Rita looked a lot better.

Cozumel Diving

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

hold on, I found this site...http://www.divingplaces.com/

uses the name Moondiver is the mexican caribbean's only live-aboard.

Are you all talking about the same operation, or do the pictures on the promo site do it more justice.

Looks okay to me.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

I believe that Steve is talking about the boat in the picture.

Cozumel Diving

#11 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

I agreed.... Moon Diver looks great ... We were poking a bit of fun, at the Oceanus however : ) That one is no longer..... as far as anyone knows and well it should be. It appears to be best suited for servicing oil rig plat forms or hauling cabbages..as an Inter-island freighter

#12 KiBanda Carl

KiBanda Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Weight training, hockey, snowboarding, hiking

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hello everyone,

I found your discussion by means of a google search. My name is Carl Macdonald, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and as you have all been asking about information about the Moon Diver liveaboard I'm happy to provide it for you.

I was in PDC last month and spent 4 days diving Cozumel on the Moon Diver which is moored in Puerto Aventuras. I really like that there's finally a liveaboard in the area and even more so the owner/operator, Captain Fernando. We sat down to business discussions as he is a Captain and diver at heart and that's the part he really wants to focus on. To make a long story short, with a friend and partner who lives in PDC, we are now the premiere marketers and promoters for the Moon Diver liveaboard and are excited about getting this boat filled and regularly taking divers out on its' exclusive itineraries.

It's a tough go getting settled and operating regularly in a new location but we have personally invested significantly in making this liveaboard a fixture in the area and look forward to making new friends with all who will join us for great dive vacations.

If you're interested in knowing more, our site is www.kibanda.mx/moon-diver.html. Feel free to email if you would like more information on some of our last-minute discounted trips. Thanks all.

#13 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

The link in your post doesn't work, but the one on your profile page does. FYI

#14 KiBanda Carl

KiBanda Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks mlfoto. Link fixed.

#15 dangen

dangen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

just curious does the boat have permits for Chinchorro (if so what parts) and Alacranes.

#16 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

I have no personal knowledge about the permits required for Chinchorro. I am at least aware of those required for Alacranes ( Scorpion Islands )
Those are easily applied for and can be issued on an annual basis ..
I do have a few questions... I dont see addressed on the site ( none that I could find.)
1.Food? If your gone for numerous days whats the food like?
2. A Chase boat is there a chase boat?
A Lot of Pertinent Issues Covered on most other Dive Live-aboard Web-Sites has not been addressed..
3.Surprised at not seeing individual cabin pictures..
4.No B-L-D menus...
5.Dive Gear Rental.. ? Nothing mentioned?

#17 dangen

dangen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

last time I inquried in Ixcalak with the dive shops they indicated only a few operators had permits to dive chinchorro. I also was shown a map of Chinchorro which has been "zoned" for various activities. Diving was only allowed in certain areas of Chinchorro and all the wrecks were off limits. So just curious. Liveaboards have come and gone along this coast line for many years beginning with Carlos Sierra and the Perlous Jack (spelling maybe off). Offhand I would love to see someone make a go of it.

#18 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

I would like to see it happen too dangen.. Right now the Alacranes is a 2 to 3 hour boat ride out of Progreso.There's only one boat making the trip. Its an Open Center Console and its 2 to 3 hours out dive for 2 to 3 hours and return or at best sleep in tents...That's a long day and most of it spent sitting in an open boat.
I have been over there looking around a couple times. The area interest me... Local Expats I met up with , once they knew I have a sailboat,and that I intend to bring it down with me and that, that sail boat could be there, under power, in about 3.5 hours or less... and we could live aboard easily..( fully self contained) for several days and even sail back.. I had a lot of new freinds hahahaha :rolleyes:

#19 KiBanda Carl

KiBanda Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

My apologies for the delayed response.

Richard to answer your questions:
1. The food is excellent 'diver food' ie. good complex carbs, quality protein(chicken/beef/fish) and tasty. It's not always the same chef so I can't supply a specific menu but the quality never suffers. There is plenty of food, including filling special requests if anyone gets the munchies at an unscheduled time. Everytime you exit a dive there will either be a full meal ready shortly afterward or a snack. You won't go hungry and you certainly won't be disappointed with the food. There are no shortcuts taken and especially not with the food.
2. There is an inflatable chase boat.
The website is in continual development right now. They have got to be one of the most time and labor intensive facets of any business. Anything that's currently missing is likely in development so, in the meantime, I encourage your inquiries.
3. Click on the link at the bottom of the page for the Moon Diver brochure. There you will see more pictures of the boat including the cabins.
4. I haven't come across a liveaboard that supplies menu information other than the odd mention of coffee or cookies. Hopefully point 1 above answers your question in a satisfactory way.
5. On all liveaboards, divers provide all their own equipment other than tank and weights. Full rentals are available for $250 for the week. This is yet to be added to the site.
We have also been offered to be a 'test boat' for a major dive equipment manufacturer.

Both Chinchorro and Alacranes permitting will be fully in place shortly. A Chinchorro trip is planned for May 28-June 4.

Dangen - the wrecks are always off limits to diving in Chinchorro. Here is an extensive article on Chinchorro by one of the day operators in Xcalak: http://www.locogring...hts/nov2006.cfm

#20 KiBanda Carl

KiBanda Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

And in the interests of 'making a go of it' :) ...

We have new pricing that hasn't even made it on to the website yet. Beginning with Sat. departures in March, you can join the Cozumel-Puerto Morelos-Isla Mujeres itinerary for $1395/pp!

For the comforts and conveniences of liveaboard diving, this pricing is unmatched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users