13 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Fran Yates finally got all of her money back. Search the archives to see the history of her struggle.

Here's an email she just sent me:

"Just wanted you and anyone else whom I had contacted or emailed about the fake Tanzanite jewelry, that today I received ALL $1200.00 in my checking acct. from Caribbeans Dreams, because of PROFECO being brought into the situation. A lot of credit and thanks goes to all the people who were so supportive and encouraging. Someone please tell Charles....!!

Thanks,
Fran

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

Now if Rose Sova can either get her money refunded or if visa will cancel her disputed charge. She paid $495 for not AAA grade natural tanzanite as stated, but the "gemstone" was "laboratory made" tanzanite which is also called colored glass. The accent diamonds were imitation and the 14k gold did not test as 14K, 12K or even 9K gold. You guessed it, Caribbean Dreams. Lic. Santin when I talked with her earlier this month agreed these were criminal complaints that merited criminal charges being filed with the Ministerio Publico office.

This makes five cases reported to this forum regarding this store alone in the past 14 months, how many others in the last three years. I know the honest merchants are hurt by each complaint. The vast majority of merchandise for sale is what they state it to be, they may be charging way too much, but it's real. This is all accelerating the retail sector of downtown turning into a ghost town. Wanna have a contest to guess the number of vacant spaces for rent?

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

That's excellent news! I had wondered from time to time about Fran's predicament. Three cheers for Profeco and three raspberries for Caribbean Dreams. Charles- isn't it just as bad to sell fraudulent items to a Canadian?

#4 Keesha

Keesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Pretty said that we have these crazies in the world that are out to RIP people off....I can tell you I got rocked in Mexico once but they will never get a second chance to do it....I will spend my hard earned money where I know I won't get ripped...I am going through the same thing as I bought a necklace and garnet earrings paying big bucks all which are FAKE and worth about 5.00 bucks....Glad to hear you got your money back...I just wonder how long it will take for the government in Mexico to get back to me?

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Where did you purchase the fake jewelry, Keesha? What store exactly? And have you searched these forums and read all the advice that was given to Fran Yates which, in the end, led to the entire return of her $1200? You say you went to the government? Was this PROFECO, the Mexican consumer protection agency, via their online site? If you handled it that way, it takes much longer for it to funnel down to the Cozumel office. But you will get redress. You must go through PROFECO, however. And prepare to be patient.

Sorry you get ripped off. You speak in another thread about 'all the places' you were ripped off in Cozumel. Which is why we would like to know which stores exactly. We can't do much about it but give some bad publicity for those particular business here on the forums. Because it is horrific for all the very fine and honest business that are here to be tarred by the same brush as the bad eggs. Can you help us out with more details?

#6 Keesha

Keesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

I purchased an opal pendant and earrings that was suppose to have white sapphires as well as what was suppose to be a sliver chain and garnet earrings for my daughter. While I didn't loose as mush as Fran, I still work very hard for my money and am very disappointed in the fact that MEXICO is full of natives with such deceit. The store I shopped in was 2 blocks left of the Hard Rock situated right on the corner. What I am mad at myself about is I know the saying "if it is to good to be true, it is" I am waiting for my cheques to come back so that I can get the name of whom cashed them as I can not make out any of the information on the receipt, on purpose I suppose. I know he said his name was Jose but isn't that half of the names of most men in Mexico? While I have also stated this is my first trip to Mexico, it will definitely be my last. I have purchased gold in Venezuela, emeralds in Columbia, and Amethyst from Spain, all of which have been double the value I paid for them.

I wasn't even planing on purchasing any jewelery, but, it being my daughters birthday and the illusion of expensive not Fake pieces and also the fact of having a heart for people less fortunate, I decided to go ahead. All I can do now is advice people not to fall into the same trap as I did and stay away from making purchases of any sort in Cozumel.

I also took the island tour which was suppose to be 3.5 hours and paid 35.00 per person which was a joke. We were in a run down van big enough for 8 people and there were 12 of us packed in like sardines. They drove us around the island which I thought would be exciting, but in fact all we saw was run down shacks and road side vendors in which we were encouraged to buy from, but we did not.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Oh, my, Keesha!
You had a heck of a time, poor dear! I think others will know more precisely re the location of Carribean Dreams but that sounds like the same store where Fran Yates and others were also ripped off. So it's just one store in all likelihood and not the entire waterfront and back in the hoods.

Who did you go with for your island tour? Do you remember? Because some of the concerns that run these adventures here get nothing but brilliant reviews. We'd like to know the name of a bad op so people can steer clear and pick another operation with a confirmed good rep. Of which, I can assure you, there are many.

Was it a cruise sponsored trip? Did you pick it up on the fly on the ferry or by talking to a taxi driver? More details would be helpful if you don't mind.

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

"I am waiting for my cheques to come back so that I can get the name of whom cashed them" you wrote cheques, what kind? Two blocks to the left of the Hard Rock, left, would that be to the north, away from the cruise ship docks or in the direction of the cruise ships?

You took a Carnival cruise, the worst of the worst. Like being in a 24 hour infomercial or a time share presentation with your only escape of heels over the railing. The deceit practiced by the cruise ships has attracted an unsavory element to the island that did not exist prior to the current market practices that dominate the industry now. It is now the same in every cruise ship port, but mostly worse than in Mexico.

If you wrote checks, that you expect to see endorsements, not travelers cheques, stop payment. Foreign bank checks are virtually unheard of in acceptance, Travelers Cheques yes, but they will be cashed through a third party. Was your island tour purchased through the cruise ship or something you chanced on after arrival. The changes in the manner of operation of the cruise industry has changed both the market place and the demographics of the residents here. The original inhabitants of the island have been leaving, displaced by persons well schooled in the practices of the cruise ship trade from destinations the ships have now used up and abandoned.

Would you have bought this merchandise in the States without a legible receipt from an unknown merchant? No excuse none, for fake merchandise sold, but the honest dealers lose far more in sales from being tarnished by the few.

#9 Keesha

Keesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

All I can tell you, it is right where you come off the cruise ship. There are 3 man standing there selling island tours, much cheaper than if you buy on the ship but the same name, but I am sure it definitely was not the same excursion. We stopped in the run down town where they tried to sell us onyx and there were locals all over the place with mules, iguanas and other animals wanting our money to ride, take pictures etc...there were also to be some sort of ruins, but that was a joke....sad state of affairs. You know the real sad part is I really did feel sorry for those people and look where it got me....from now on charity will be at home and I will continue to give to the less fortunate here before I am ever taken advantage of again.

#10 Linaka

Linaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

Fran:
Congratulations. I will have to go back and read about your struggles and how you got to this point. I am a new member to this site - how I got here? Because I was cheated by Caribbean Dreams and googed them and got here to this site and was shocked that I was not the only one.
I took my first cruise ever Feb. 21-25 2011 - stopped in Cozumel and bought a diamond/tanznite ring for $400. Went today to my jeweler to find out the diamonds are fake and the tanzanite is fake. I am so upset. Glad you had a happy ending.
Linaka

#11 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

keesha, i don't mean to be harsh and this may seem almost like a charles response.... but you seem to not have done any homework for your visit to our lovely island.

if you paid $35 and ended up being packed like sardines, why didn't you tell the driver this is unacceptable, get your money back, and go for a 3 hr snorkle trip which would have been much more interesting and fun than being in a van all afternoon? you could have nipped that in the bud from the get-go.

regarding the jewelry, it is sad, but it is NOT that common, just in this particular store and a small handful of others. for many years, diamonds international, lapis, and other HUGE stores, are totally legit. before living here and just being a frequent tourist, my jewelry purchases were pretty silver pieces with gemstones (amethyst, opals, jade, etc). THAT is mexico. was the chain stamped .925? tanzanite has NOTHING to do with mexico. but to each his own.

and i have to point this out.... your comment about half the men in mexico have the name jose is a little out of line. people can give their charity to whom they choose. even moreso was your comment "MEXICO is full of natives with such deceit". i am more than willing to bet a butt load of money that these folks were NOT cozumel locals. very stereotypical and unappropriate. i personally was offended by the comments. i doubt i am alone.

p.s. i don't get the cheque deal either. no one takes personal checks unless issued by a mexican bank and they are usually accompanied by a check registry signed by all. would only be travellers checks which, as stated, can be called in and cancelled. but probably too late for that anyway.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

Keesha
You are describing the area directly in front of the cruiseship piers when you talk about the "sad little town". Just to set the record straight, you were not in the town of San Miguel which is charming, eclectic, bustling and quite the opposite of 'sad'. Merry -- even in the face of the current economic diversity would be my adjective.

Sorry you had such a bad time. But blame it on your cruiseline and also, well, sorry to rub it in, but it would have been great if you had done just a wee little bit of online research before your trip and you would have understood that

A. the cruiseship pier for carnival is out in the boonies with its own manufacturered Lil Mexico.

B.If you want to shop, again, do your research re what is a good deal in the port you're visiting. In the jewelry department Nauticab laid that out in a later post.

C.There are plenty of reputable indie operators for tours. But you need to get on that via email in advance and make your arrangements that way rather. Try that on your next cruise. The suggestions apply no matter what your port of call.

#13 rosieaf1

rosieaf1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

I am happy to report that PROFECO got the money back from Caribbean Dreams for the ring I purchased. I first disputed it to my VISA. They considered it a valid purchased as I signed for the merchandise. Since they did not give me a refund, PROFECO was able to step in and get the money back for me. Thanks to Charles for all the help in connecting me with the right people.

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Congratulations Rose, persistence finally paid off! It did take five months since the Christmas holidays. This store continues to operate with immunity and one can only imagine the number of sales that go unchallenged and the number of people victimized. I'm glad you were able to get your money refunded, but why and how these cases are not referred to the ministerio publico for criminal prosecution remains a mystery. I've lost track of how many complaints to PROFECO have been made against Caribbean Dreams, but so far, ever case has been won and the money refunded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users