• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmommi

mrsmommi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

so all this talk about mexico and all the bad things that are happening, should this be a considering facor if we come to cozumel on our carnival cruise? is there anything bad going on in cozumel? this will be our 1st visist, 1st cruise, and 1st trip away from our young som at that.
i just want to be resuured we will be safe and none of this craziness is going on in or around cozumel! any advice or comments?
thanks

#2 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

Don't know where you live but probably MUCH safer than there. Please go back into Coz and get the real feel.

#3 mrsmommi

mrsmommi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

we live on the east coast in the us......
i am guessing that i should travel to the bahamas over cozumel?

#4 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

There was a recent article about the Yucatan being the safest place to visit in all of Mexico. When my mom was worried about me living in Cozumel I told her if you do something wrong on the island you either need a fast boat or be a quick swimmer. This island thrives on the Cruise Ships and the tourists who come to dive. If there were problems on the island tourism would dry up so the business people and the police work hard to make sure that doesn't happen. Carnival has a huge shopping port right at the pier which they own and also get a kickback from the larger Jewelery stores etc along the waterfront. They don't want you to go back a block or two for fear they will lose their kickback....I walk all the time 10-20 blocks back from the waterfront and it's filled with the neatest shops and restaurants...
This island is one of the safest in the world. I am a single female and I walk around at night without a care. Don't let the talk of the problems of crime in the border states of Mexico give you a moments hesitation of visiting out wonderful island. You like many who come on cruise ships can't wait to come back for a land based stay. It's a diver's, snorkelers paradise...and many on the this board will give you ideas of the best way to spend your day to get the most out of the island....I've been bringing my kids here when they were in diapers and they can't wait to come and visit with my grandchildren...you can believe if I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't let them come...
By the way...this isn't a chamber of commerce report on the island. I don't own a business just someone who got hooked on the island years ago and those that live here know how safe it really is....

#5 mrsmommi

mrsmommi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

thanks so much!!!!! :)

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

It's very safe...SAFE...S A F E. Probably less crime there than in the Bahamas. Cruise ships would not stop there if it was not safe.

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

There have been 9 drug related murders in the last year that I am aware of. At least 4 of the victims were tortured. A couple of houses were found with several millions USD in the walls. And finally a couple of people kidnapped. If you think it is hard to kidnap someone here, think again. Nobody checks the vehicles when the cars get on the ferry. It might not be a bad idea to ask people to open their trunks. There is a small gang of drunks that hang on Calle 14 between 10 y 5. They have threatened us a few times and our dogs, but so far nothing has happened. Cozumel is not immune to crime. What keeps most drug related crime away is logistics: Why when you are moving drugs to the USA would you even think to make a stop on the island? I still think it is still relatively safe here, but would no longer advise anyone to take walks after dark in undeveloped parts of the island especially alone. I am a big guy and in good shape. When some jerk comes out of nowhere and tells me the next time he sees me he is going to kill me and my dog, I tend to think the local situation is deteriorating.

Cozumel Diving

#8 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Mike...I didn't assume there is no crime on the island....most of it is out away from where anyone off a cruise ship might venture and mostly at night between buyer and seller or someone double crossing someone.....I haven't heard of anything during the daytime hours anywhere close to the downtown area...and I still venture out at night at the downtown square or palacio on my own.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Wasn't meaning to be critical of you Corki! :) Just stating my personal experience. However these threats were made within 50 yards of Cinco Soles, in broad daylight, 1 block from the beach, 20 feet away from the condos Las Ventanas (condos) & on more than one occassion. They also threatened my wife when she was alone. Fortunately some other local guys showed up and helped her. BTW: As far as violence only being directed at those involved in drug dealing.....I was walking a 20 pound dog at 9 in the morning. I wasn't trying to screw these guys on a drug deal. I wouldn't have even spoken to any of them if they hadn't come up and started tapping me on the chest while explaining to me the number of ugly things they were going to do to me and my dog.

The kid shot on the bike last year...also daylight.

I think 90% of the populated portion of the island is safe. I just wouldn't tell people that it is safe to go anywhere night or day.

As far as whoever said "cruise ships wouldn't stop if it were dangerous" you have got to be kidding. Cruise ships have rapes, murders and people go missing all the time and that is at sea. When the ships return to Miami or wherever they do everything they can to keep USA authorities from becoming involved in the investigation. The cruise lines have no concern for anyones well being except for their stockholders.

Cozumel Diving

#10 Keesha

Keesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I just got back from a cruise with Carnival in which we stopped in Progresso and Cozumel. I have traveled all over the world and to tell you the truth I will never go back to MEXICO ever again. While some of the people are friendly most are very dishonest. My advice is stay away from all the jewelry stores, most restaurants unless you like being sick, and all the excursions, you don't get what you pay for there. I have never in my life been disappointed in a vacation as I have with this one. My first and last trip to MEXICO. What really blows me away is a country that thrives on tourist to support them and the natives are out to RIP you off. All I can say if you are going, I would stay on the ship you will probably have a better time and won't put yourself into a position to be disappointed. The government in that country needs to crack down or it won't be long before they will take themselves off the map to being a good vacation destination.

#11 Keesha

Keesha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Couldn't agree with you more about cruise ships not giving a damn....hell not one of them fly the AMERICAN flag and we all know why they do that.... :o)))

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

If you follow the news you probably have seen many horrible acts perpetrated on cruise voyages. When the ships return to the States they tell the FBI and the Dade County (if Miami is their port) police that the crime happened on the high seas and they have no jurisdiction.

Last month a drunken passenger somehow made it into the helm station and dropped anchor while a ship was at speed. Theoretically this could have ripped out the bottom of the ship or incapacitated the screws. Of course the cruise line had the FBI waitning to arrest the guy once they returned to port. Two things irratate me about this: Either the USA has the right or not the right to investigate crimes on cruise ships, not just the ones the cruise lines wish investigated. The second being since cruise ships have refused to cooperate with USA law enforcement many, many times I really believe the FBI should have told Carnaval to stick it, since the crime occurred outside of USA territorial waters.

Cozumel Diving

#13 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Well, isn't this thread a real shot in the arm for tourism!

Mike, my head is certainly not in the sand. I know there are crimes committed on the island, mostly petty crimes. Anyone who comes here and doesn't exercise the typical cautions taken in the states is a fool. That's true anywhere you go, whether it's small town America, Mexico, Europe, or anywhere else. When the economy takes a nosedive, crime tends to increase. Again, that's true anywhere. I live here and feel quite safe. I do exercise common sense and caution. I must say, though, that if I had read your posts before coming here for the first time, I'd never get on the plane.

Let's put this in perspective. 9 drug related murders last year - there are at least that many a day in the bigger cities in the states. At least 4 victims tortured - again, at least that in a day in the bigger cities. Millions in the walls of a couple of houses - I'm sure there's more than that found on a daily basis of some cities. A couple of people kidnapped - well over that in a day. Yes, the island has a population of about 80,000, but even if we look at your numbers per capita, they are low.

Let's not scare people away unnecessarily. This island and its inhabitants have enough problems trying to keep their heads above water after all the things that have hindered tourism in the past 5 years.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#14 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Very well written Kandy. First they did not see true COZ just tourist area. The 9 murders I believe was two separate happenings. I would rather walk around Coz than majority of US cities that are rampant with drugs.
Probably best they stay at home. Coming to Coz March for 2 months and hard to wait. Could say more but make the best not the worst and enjoy.

#15 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Kandy. I couldn't agree more.

Cozumel is the safest vacation place we have ever been to. One of the reasons we keep coming back.

#16 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

Dawn & Candy with all respect the reason I made that post was I feel that too many people like you sugar coat what is going on down here. There are tons of robberies every weekend. Go to any police casita on Monday morning and you will find 50 people in line to file robbery reports. Robbers are now entering houses while the owners are at home, which is very frightening. My neighbors house was robbed on a Sunday afternoon and then again on Monday morning while she was in the house. She was terrified. I can go on and on, but I won't. As far as putting things in perspective until a little over a year ago I had heard of 1 murder here in over 15 years. The 9 murders last year indicate a several hundred percent rise in murders. I think that is cause for concern as do almost all of my Mexican friends. Just this morning I was talking with several original locals and they all spoke of how the economy was causing so much crime that until recently had almost been unheard of. When you have two cars block a third on 35th next to the ball field and two guys get out and assasinate two people in daylight hours.....well maybe you are used to that, but the people who live here are not. The scariest part to me is that kidnappings are starting to occur here.

There is a current scam where older kids are teaching younger kids to steal from their parents.

How many ATM's have been found to have card readers illegally installed in them. 20-30?

And lets look at holidays and Sundays. It's almost a standing joke among local private homeowners to not leave their homes unguarded during the Christmas Season and on most Sundays as those periods see a huge increse in home robberies. We had excellent friends over for Christmas Eve. The evening was kind of short and when we asked the guests why they were leaving so soon the answer was basically "well you know it's not safe to leave the home too long this time of year." And IMHO Condos are not private, there are many guests and owners always around and most have security.

"Let's not scare people away unnecessarily." In this case apparently that seems to mean lets not give out commonly known facts.

BTW: I never said anybody's head was in the sand. On the other hand you two act like I am the only person that has ever been robbed here ("I am sorry Mike has had a bad experience"). BTW: Our house has been invaded over 5 times, once had the result of my wife getting punched out. I was also attacked by a guy, in my own home, with a screw driver. That resulted in the guy going to the hospital and then Chetumal.

I am happy for anybody that has had a worry free existance here. But please stop with the "nothing is ever going to happen to anybody anywhere, night or day". It is no longer true and you are just going to get someone hurt.

Cozumel Diving

#17 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Mike, I think you need to read my post again. I didn't sugar coat a thing. I acknowledged everything you said. I just put it in perspective. I guess I'll go to the flip side of the coin now.

Thank you so much, Mike, for casting such fear among people who have never been to Cozumel. I feel sorry for the business owners and the losses they will suffer, including yourself. That will leave more of the island to me and the others who appreciate it's beauty and relative safety.

And, BTW, if you'll take a moment to read my initial post, my name is spelled with a "K" not a "C." Posted Image

Kandy

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

this sound just like a Sherry D. post...

No one who lives here is ignorant to some of the reality, but this is well beyond any post I understand or the purpose.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#19 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Paula:

Are you referring to my post or Mike's?

Kandy

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I can assure you Kandy, it wasn't your post.

Let's just chock this one up to somebody having a bad day...Been there, posting cr*p I shouldn't have.

Wheels come off the trolly every now and again.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users