#21 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification. It's a gorgeous day, so I'm gonna get out and enjoy it in a little while!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#22 Gator & T

Gator & T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Reality check: Crime is rampant around the world. People need to be aware of their surrounings no matter there they are whether it be small-town America or Couzmel, Mexico! Be cognizant of where you are, don't walk by yourself (after dark,) don't flash wads of cash (pesos) for all the world to see, etc. Common sense should prevail.

#23 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I have to say, this topic has me interested. We hop a big ol' jet airliner tomorrow morning for our third week in Coz in the past year and a half. Obviously, I am not a local, so I do not have the insight that comes from full-time residency. As a tourista, I have to say that I don't always feel safe in Coz. However, I do not always feel safe in Lincoln, Nebraska either. We are always aware of our surroundings, we don't do stupid things like get wasted drunk, and we try to keep our belongings and financial information safe. That's about all you can do...anywhere. It is always a shame when bad things happen to good people, but it is a simple fact of life.

I am really thankful for the heads up on the "gang" that hangs at calle 14. We will avoid the area while there. How long ago did that harrassment occur?

Please do not be afraid to come to Coz. I am in love with this little island and I truly do believe that the good outweighs the bad by a long shot. The people need us to come...especially those of us who stay longer than 8 to 5. Sorry for the snarky cruise comment, but they are a blessing and a curse in my humble opinion. Anyway, just thought I would give the perspective of a recent and frequent tourist. Take care all. Nos vemos maŮana...
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#24 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

I too do not have a full-time resident's perspective pertaining to the safety issue of the island, but I typically spend between 90-140 days a year on the island split between 4-5 trips per year for the past 10 years My fiance is a local man who grew up on the island. I personally have never witnessed or experienced any type of crime either alone or with my honey. We did meet a lady in the street one Christmas Eve telling us her turkey was stolen right off of her dinner table while she was in another part of her house (left her front door open); that was 8 years ago. I remember thinking.. how horrible for her, but if that is the worst of crimes on the island.. then jeepers this place really is a slice of paradise. Fast forward to 1 1/2 years ago. My fiance witnessed a man being shot in the head during broad daylight. He was quite shaken up when he arrived home stating he knew drug-related crime was rising but never thought people would be so bold as to commit murder on the street during the daytime. He has had his bike stolen a few times, he has had no home break-ins.. glad to report. Neither one of us feel unsafe or that we have to constantly be on guard for our lives. I do believe the murders are specifically drug-related and the home break-ins are possibly linked to drugs and general financial desperation. I would be terrified, however, if I had experienced as much crime as Mike and his wife has. I can only speak to my personal experience .. I still feel safer on Cozumel than where I live and I will continue to frequent the island and wander far and wide armed with common sense.

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Well, I'll say what I always say when the issue of safety comes up. I've lived here 11 years. I'm a US citizen. My home is right downtown near the ferry pier and 3 blocks in from the waterfront. One of the things I love about this place is the safety factor. I regularly walk out at 10 PM at night and my 'radar' never goes up. And I've lived in some big cities so I know that bad feelings and about how you have to be on your guard.

I've never felt safer anywhere -- same level of safety vibes as (and you're going to laugh but it's true) my 82 year old parents gated retirement village in Laguna Hills CA.

This is not to say there isn't crime. There is some drug trafficking action and as a result there have been some murders. But these don't involve tourists and they happen back in the 'hoods. There are also housebreak ins aplenty -- more than in the past as times are harder and people are more willing to take chances.

It's always a good idea to keep your radar up anywhere. Actually, I had the most scary experience/close miss of my life once when I didn't imagine I needed to be cautious. It was on a deserted beach on the Outer Banks of NC where my father in law owned a home for 30 years and we visited very often. I was walking my poodle and my two year old daughter and came upon an adolescent boy with a stick who seemed harmless. Then when I turned around, he slammed me in the head with the stick. I whipped around and raised my arms up instinctively to protect myself and stared him in the eye because he wasn't any bigger than I was. He stared at me for awhile and then turned and ran away. But if he had knocked me out -- and he almost did as I was bleeding profusely from the head -- I don't even want to think about my little girl out there and my dear little dog.

Well, there's a grim story for you which makes me want to go knock back a drink even after all these years. I only bring it up to point out that this was in Hatteras, NC, on the national seashore at 11 AM in the morning, just over the dunes from several blocks of vacation villas. So things can happen anywhere. But the chances of them happening here on this pretty quiet little island are not high unless you decide head back into the hoods to score some coke or something.

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

The area that Mike mentioned as a long history of a sketchy area so close to the waterfront. The vacant lots there and undeveloped lots had lots of transient construction workers living there. I had a friend approached twice by an off island construction worker, drinking up his weeks pay on Saturday afternoon, wielding a knife. Both times at around mid afternoon on Saturday (construction workers get paid weekly and work half a day on Saturdays). Both times a man came out of the vacant property that later became La Ventanas. Yes, directly behind don Nassim's house and the second time it happened, don Nassim happened to be driving along and drove up on the sidewalk between my friend and the "attacker". This was 12 years ago when you still didn't have to lock your bike to leave it somewhere overnight. The corner of 10th avenue and calle 12 is the traditional spot for truckers to park, maybe grab some sleep on cardboard under their trucks while they wait to make their assorted merchandise deliveries. It has long been an area of hang out for people with no ties to the island and unlike 90% of the original inhabitant families of Cozumel, share few of the traditional values

The majority of the crime here are property crimes. Physical assaults crimes almost never are directed at tourists. There is a lot of gang activity growing on the island, but for the most part, they are afraid to hassle a tourist as they know, both the military and law enforcement will be all over it. It is easy to get a rose colored glasses view as the island is largely very safe for tourists. In fact the "bad areas" are more safe for tourists than they are for easily intimidated locals, especially the Mayan population. There is a lot of extreme sugar coating of the situation all over the region.

You hear of the growing use of drugs on the island. I find that to be minimally true. There was long a lot of drug use here, alcohol being the most widely used, but cocaine use was high here when it was almost unknown in other parts of Mexico. Cozumel had a larger market for drug users as it was so Americanized even years ago. Mexico is finding a problem with drug use among their citizens the same way it evolved in Bolivia, Peru and Colombia. The drug production market exceeded the exportation level and they increasingly grew the domestic consumption market. What has increased is the number of publicised arrests. For every minor dealer arrested, there are two more that wish a promotion to take his place.

#27 Tia

Tia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

Just to echo/back up Carey, Charles and others...

In Minneapolis, we had 39 homicides in 2010, one of the lowest rates in many years. Just in Minneapolis alone. Not counting the 7 county metro area. Population about 390,000. I believe the ratio is about the same.

2010 Crime Statistics for Minneapolis MN <---Check out more crime statistics here.

Cozumel is an island. You can't and don't just come and go as you please. Your ways off the island are limited if you do a crime. With city, state and federal police and several branches of the military/armed forces there makes a difference as well. I feel safer on the island than walking the streets here in Minnesota's largest city.

Anyone with a lick of sense is gonna be aware of their surroundings, whether here as a tourist or at home. You do have some responsibilty to yourself. Another thing is, if a "deal" seems to good to be true, it most likely isn't. Same as at home.

The people of Cozumel are some of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet and interact with. Just like anywhere else, there are some bad apples, but I sure don't base my opinion solely on the bad. What a huge mistake to make.

And Keesha? Sorry you don't like Coz/Mexico. You must be really paranoid. There are a lot of good people and things that make up Coz/Mexico. That's OK, more island for me!!!

Returning May 2011

#28 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Speaking of Minneapolis, my brother who lives in a nice quiet neighborhood there has had his and his wife's expensive bikes stolen 5 times. He actually found his last stolen bike for sale on EBay.

I find Cozumel to be as safe or safer than our little corner of the Midwest. Creeps are everywhere.

#29 mrsmommi

mrsmommi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

lots of input! but we are still going!! i actually can not wait!.....thanks for all the replies good and bad

#30 OSUCowgirl

OSUCowgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, horses, Oklahoma State University and sitting on the beach

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

so all this talk about mexico and all the bad things that are happening, should this be a considering facor if we come to cozumel on our carnival cruise? is there anything bad going on in cozumel? this will be our 1st visist, 1st cruise, and 1st trip away from our young som at that.
i just want to be resuured we will be safe and none of this craziness is going on in or around cozumel! any advice or comments?
thanks

I just returned from a week on Cozumel and I had a great time. It is not the island that I visited a few years back but the tourism that supports the island is also creating corruption. I would take the same precautions that you would take visiting any new city - US or abroad. Stick to the areas that you know. There is a lot to see and do right at the waterfront; however, there are lots of crowds due to cruise passengers embarking. Read the posts here on things to see and do. My husband and I did the Cooking Class with Josefina and it was the best experience ever. You won't have much time to spend so do your research and choose what you want to do. The snorkeling is faboulous as well. Enjoy your time and be a cautious tourist.

To the locals - wow! We too have crime, here in Tulsa, OK, right in the heartland of the Bible belt. But we too have millions of good hearted, hard working folks who are shamed by the actions of a few. I hope that the corruption that has grown does not spoil the beauty of your island. Cozy Cozumel is long gone but you have so much to be proud and thankful for in your island it's good people. We hope to return again really soon.

#31 Tia

Tia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

BTW, a cruise is why I came back to Cozumel, and continue to do so!

Hope you have a wonderful time.

~Tia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users