• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

I am going to be a second time visitor this March and am sooooooo looking forward to enjoying the beauty of Cozumel again! While I will be joining my husband on at least 2 fly fishing excusions, I'd also like to partake in my passion - horseback riding - while on the island. From what I've seen on various websites, the care and attention given to horses on the island is a lot different than what I'm used to here at home. I understand that 'string' horses, those used for rentals, have a much harder life in general than my pampered pets. Does anyone have any experience with Rancho Buenavista or Palmitas? Would I be better off sparing the animals and skipping the adventure or can I expect humane treatment of "working animals"? Either way, I'm sure my holiday will be fantastic! M

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

There are some beautiful, happy and well-groomed horses on this island because we see about 6 of them come out every year for most of the parades (not carnival, however!) So you're right it's not just the stringers and, most depressing, the carriage horses.

Since you're going to be here for the week (good for you!) you might want to rent a car one day to do the obligatory trip along the wild east side of the island which is lovely and isolated and definitely worth a slow drive by even if you don't want to stop because it's too windy or you don't feel like a drink at one of the beach shack. So if you decide to do that, you could stop in and check out the rides. And let us know the results of your expertise. Or maybe someone will chime in who actually knows something about this instead of me just shooting off my mouth.

Anyone know of another place south of town that rents horses and takes good care of them? There used to be one out near the village of El Cedral. Paula? Anyone?

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

I would go to Mr. Sancho's. They take good care of the horses, and you can even do Camel rides (yes, Coz has Camels).

http://www.mrsanchos...nchos/tours.htm

They also have a great beach area, and good food.

Buenavista brings the cruisers in by the bus load on a daily bases.

Palmitas, I can't comment on.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm on the island for two weeks so I certainly have time to scope out places before actually riding. I'm an experienced rider but obviously I'm willing to forego the experience if the horses are not cared for. Does anyone actually know anyone on the island with their own horses other than rentals? It would be so cool to actually go riding with a horse lover, not just 'business.' I can't imagine the cost of feeding horses on the island though! M

#5 Flounder79

Flounder79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Traveling

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

I've used Palmitas twice and the horses didn't look very well cared for, at least the ones we road. One of them had a bad hind leg that the guide didn't seem to even care about and they all looked under fed I'd use Buenavista they are much better and the ride is more educational and longer.

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

You could check here.
Andrea Borchert at Cozumel Equestrian Center.
andreaandaluz@hotmail.com
See what she can offer you.

#7 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thanks pecosgirl - I've emailed her directly.

#8 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hmmm..no reply to my email after a week. Do you think Andrea's just busy? Or perhaps she is no longer taking outside business? I was really hoping to make contact with her.

#9 Antonio123

Antonio123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

Andrea's cell phone number is 987-111-5149. I just spoke to her by phone and she would be most happy to speak with you regarding your inquiries.

#10 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Antonio. I tried to call today but we had a very bad line and could hardly hear each other. I guess she did not receive my first email, so I have tried again tonight to send it. If you talk to her and she still does not receive it, perhaps yourself or someone could print out and forward some questions I have. Really looking forward to being on the island again, especially since it's a big snow year here in my part of Canada!

#11 colibri

colibri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hello,
I am a friend of Andrea and just stumbeld over your post. She is still happily working with her horses and you are very welcome to vitit her at Hacienda Azcorra.
While driving south...right before "Discover Mexico" you will see the big sign: Hacienda Azcorra. Turn left right there...into the gravel road. At the end (about 150m)is her place.
You can't miss it. Have fun...if you have a chance...try calling her before to make sure she has time for you :-)

ohh...and I just found her with more detailed info (& email contact) on Tripadvisor. Simply google: tripadvisor andrea horses cozumel equinos.
:)

#12 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Colibri! We did manage to get in contact with each other via email at last! I am very excited to visit her place and am going to contact her again as we get closer. I also asked her if there was anything she needed in the way of horse/vet supplies that I could bring down easily from Canada. If you have a chance, maybe just remind her that I am willing to bring some horse gifts! One month and counting....

#13 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

I volunteer at a sanctuary for abused horses here and Liliana is ALWAYS looking for someone to bring things she can't buy here. I'm going there tomorrow and, if you are willing to bring stuff down, can ask her what she needs. I've just about used up all the Hooflex that someone brought down recently! I brought hoofpicks when I came.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#14 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Of course! I would love to help out...let me know what I can bring...within weight limits! I would love to visit the sanctuary as well...would this be possible? Moira

#15 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

I asked Liliana today what she needs and one thing she mentioned that wouldn't weigh much was a leather punch (to add new holes to bridles, etc.). Here is her email address: rancho.universo@gmail.com If you want to visit, I'd suggest contacting Lili and making arrangements with her. She also does riding therapy (free of charge) for disabled children from low-income families. Every little bit helps. She has a Facebook page also if you are on Facebook.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#16 Canuck2

Canuck2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Thanks, I will email her directly. Bringing a leather punch is no problem and I'll see what else she might need. M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users