- - - - -

Another Car Rental question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

oh just read this full thread and I must say some pretty catty comments coming from all concerned.
however each to their own views.Myself and my good wife will coming down for my first visit in March
and will rent a car once we check what is available.
Best Regards David

#22 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

I was not asked for my two cents but I am going to give it any way in the hopes that it may help others reading the thread besides the OP. I have been coming to Coz for the last fifteen years and have always rented a car. I have the Amex card insurance as well but have opted to buy the full coverage insurance to be on the safe side. We were there in November for two weeks and purchased the full coverage bumper to bumper zero ded. The car was in brand new 4 door with air and a working cd player and we never had to worry about it leaving us stranded. The cost with everything included was $560. To me this is well worth the piece of mind knowing I was covered and not having to fork over who knows home much if an accident occurs. A friend of mine went through this a few years back and the car rental agency had an insurance representative meet them at the police station to represent him. Is Amex going to do that for you? No, you will pay out of pocket and possibly be reimbursed later. I think you need to put the shoe on the other foot and think about the people that come to Cozumel on vacation or ships and make poor choices(drink and drive) and do serious damage. If you were a business owner would you not want to protect your assets? Are you going to risk letting someone leave the country and take their word for it that the damages will be paid? As far as your accusations of watching your back and possibly being ripped off, that doesn't happen at home right? I live in Seattle and our scams and killings are higher than Cozumel ever will be. Yes, there will always be a few bad apples no matter where you go but for the most part the people of Cozumel are the friendliest you will ever come across. I also question your statement about gas prices not going up in the US. Thats news to me because gas prices are going up on a weekly basis and it's all over the news that we will be at $4 a gallon or over by summer if not sooner.

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

As for an increase in wages here, by the way, it's now a whopping $5/WEEK minimum wage.

Kandy, Mexican minimum wage went up 4.1% approximately for 2011. For Zone C which includes Quintana Roo, that is $56.75 pesos per day. Although the work week is six days of usually eight hours each day (48 hour work week), they do get paid for the seventh day, their day off. This does make for a base salary of $397 pesos weekly and a monthly wage of $1700 pesos. This makes for a gross salary of around $33 dollars weekly, but most are paid in 15 day quincenas which total $140 dollars monthly before taxes and other deductions.

If you want to see high price economy car rentals, come to Alaska. Most have personal insurance coverage through their own car policies, their credit cards and even possibly homeowners insurance. The average price paid without additional insurance is $125 per day for compact, economy vehicles, zero discount for weekly rentals. Even in the States where I am confident of my credit card coverage, I'll always purchase the rip off full coverage so, no hassles, no papers to file. One thing credit card coverage most often fails to include is charges related to the days out of service when the vehicle is repaired.

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

this discussion turned from "catty" which I never though it was, to informative.

When I go back to the states and rent a car, I use my CC and my coverage for rental that is included.

Charles is absolutely correct, if your CC doesn't cover it, your homeowners insurance will...

Once you leave Kansas Dorthy, you are in OZ.

The wages have increased, but how these folks manage is well beyond me.

Tip often, and tip well is all I can say.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#25 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

TC have you checked your junk or spam box for Margaritas response? I believe her response was sent to my spam box once

#26 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

We have always rented from Thrifty and had good luck. They are right accross from the airport and we are paying about $100 for 8 days in a Nissan Tsuru (sp?). Join the free "Blue Chip" club online for best rates.
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#27 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

We have always rented from Thrifty and had good luck. They are right accross from the airport and we are paying about $100 for 8 days in a Nissan Tsuru (sp?).

Paying $100 dollars for an eight day rental is absolutely scary. If you have been doing this previously, you have indeed had very good luck. You should buy lottery tickets, but I hope your luck doesn't run out. If you lack complete accepted insurance coverage, you're rolling dice on having your worst nightmare.

Margarita of Isis that has been mentioned here, her rates are cheap, but include insurance that has about a $500 dollar deductible. Isis won't/can't go much below their $35 dollar a day rental price. If someone that is recommended for their economy, honesty and customer service, charges $225 plus per week for a ten year old VW Bug, $100 dollars for eight days falls into the too good to be true class if you have any kind of accident. Heaven forbid that someone should be injuried or even more unthinkable, an accident was your fault. You might get by again, but I wouldn't risk a potentially life changing event if you are involved in an accident and lack proper and what the authorities regard as acceptable insurance.

Part of the cost of rentals starts with the high cost of vehicles. A rule of thumb for buying a car used to be to expect to pay the sticker price in the States for a model loaded and for that price you would get a stripped down, bare bones model here.

#28 TC

TC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:An avid cook, sailor and all around water-baby, our bareboat sailing and diving adventures have taken us to ports in the Carribbean, French Polynesia, Thailand, Africa and Australia where we lived on-board for weeks at a time interacting only with locals. But our special love is Cozumel -- where we spend much of each winter for the sun, the food and the reefs. 2013 will be our 20th year at the Coral Princess. When not on the beach, I travel world wide as a courier for The National Marrow Donor Program - transporting donated bone marrow to leukemia patients in need. Next big adventure.....Botswana!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

I thank you all for your time. We have decided to forgo renting a car this year. We'll give our business to the taxi drivers. While I appreciate your concern regarding the insurance issue, I was disappointed that the conversation never really answered my original question -- which was, does anyone have an opinion or personal knowledge regarding the car rental companies mentioned. There hasn't been much in the way of an answer to that question even now.

Neither did anyone address my question regarding the difference in charges for insurance either. Why do some companies charge $7, some $9, some $11 and some $12 for liability insurance. The age on condition of the car has no bearing -- the companies renting old, junk cars charge the most. While the increase may not seem like much for some of your week long holidays, we stay a month. So 25% more is a substantial amount. If it were only for a week or two, I wouldn't give this a thought.

While I appreciate your insight into living on the island, my question still remains -- why an increase of 25% for THE EXACT SAME "GOD KNOWS HOW OLD" VW that I have rented for the past 3 or 4 years? The car is junk. I don't rent or even want a new car in Cozumel. I do agree with your assessment of cruise ship people and one day renters -- so why wouldn't a local company want to rent to us -- middle aged, conservative, non-drinking and drive, early to bed, come every year, own a condo, vested in the island, never put a scratch on the car, long-term renter, kind of people? That is exactly who I would be seeking out if I were an owner. It is, in fact, why we had had such a good relationship with SMART rental until this year when the management changed.

I still feel that your zeal in warning newbies about the need for insurance on rental cars is given in such a way as to make it sound like they will for sure be ripped off and need to be "protected". With all the horrid stories on TripAdvisor that mix Cancun and Cozumel rental companies together on top of your sound admonishments, a smart person would never rent a car. Maybe there are too many cruisies ripping off the car rental companies, so they don't trust anyone. I don't know, but I refuse to be lumped into that catagory, so will use taxis this year and avoid the whole issue.

BTW: Margarita finally emailed back. Her one sentence reply "we have no cars to rent for a month".

#29 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

the time you are coming, is HIGH season...the second answer is because they can.

Taxi is a great way to travel, and if you need a car, rent it the day you need it.

To be honest, I think we all tried to look out for your best interest.

We want you to come back for another 18 years.

Friends?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#30 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

the time you are coming, is HIGH season...the second answer is because they can.

Paula's statement sums up the situation here, because they can. The insurance situation is no more illogical than many other things you will find here that have no reason. As to your original question asked, I don't know who half the people are as they can operate under different names depending on the booking agency. Blueway used to be Budget I believe and they severed use of that brand name a couple of years ago. I have heard horror stories about Executive and I believe they operate under one of the names you listed. It is tricky making online reservations when the reality is they are completely independent in their operation and often any U.S. based customer service will offer no assistance.

Rental car insurance is a total rip off in my opinion, especially when you often have clear coverage under your own car insurance and or real coverage provided by credit cards. But in Mexico, all bets are off. If you should have a claim and you have declined coverage, oh boy, you don't want to go there. The Mexican legal system has improved a lot in the last 35 years. It used to be in the event of an accident, both drivers would be jailed until everything was carefully investigated. When I worked for a travel agency in the 1970s, the owner would advise our clients if in an accident, to run if you weren't injuried.

February is the one month and especially around Carnaval week that demand will be more than double the supply. People are shocked in Alaska to find rentals priced at $125 to $150 a day, with no added insurance. Want a different city drop off, a one way rental, add $700 to $1200 to the rental charge. Because the cost of doing business is expensive and because they can. My only rental agency is Avis in Alaska and they could probably double their profits by renting to the highest bidder.

I don't like to move around that much here. I walk or take a taxi.

#31 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

Interesting Dialog?
I was with my freind, an X- Expat. He had an accident a few years ago ( right after Wilma) many of you may have read the controversy? Lot of bs flew on the boards...
Bottom Line: Mexican Vehicular Traffic Laws is explicit in that . A Pedestrian ONLY has the right of way when crossing at a street corner or... in a Marked and Approved Pedestrian Walkway.. Facts: The Pedestrian crossed in the middle of the block from between two parked cars ..Case closed! Mexican Law Broken... Not as it was.. My Friend went to Jail.. We had to bring food and drink.. humm Talked with a Lawyer.. Condensed version: Yes its the law... Yes in time... you will win. You will have to extend your trip, 1 more, possibly 2 more weeks.. You'll have to hire a lawyer.. What do you desire to do..?? Path of least resistance was chosen $$$$... Money exchanged hands and a receipt was given.. No Tickets NO Charges of Any Kind were ever issued.. The Choice is always yours.......

#32 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Usually if anything, regardless of fault, is between local and tourist or ex-pat the local rules. Have to live with that and be careful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users