• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

I've held out as long as I can. I'm in need of a professional haircut. I tried talking my stylist in the US into coming to visit me with her scissors, but apparently she has other customers...

Does anyone have someone that they absolutely love? I'm interested in a "full service" salon that offers color, cuts, waxing, etc, etc, at a reasonable price with clean/sanitized equipment.

Thanks in advance!

#2 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

My wife has gone to Katie at Blue Bamboo a couple of times. She is quite good. Check the ads on Cozumel4You web zine for details.

#3 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

I have also heard good things about Blu Bambu

http://www.blubambumx.com/

#4 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

I have also heard good things about Blu Bambu

http://www.blubambumx.com/

Ooops, same place. I went for the conventional spelling.

#5 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

island spa is excellent too cant remember street number maybe someone else knows

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

I go to Sandra.

She is truly an expert at haircutting, she does color, highlights, waxing, manicures, and Pedicures. She is a LOCAL women who knows how to do her job, and asks reasonable prices.

Her prices are $100 p's for a hair cut...$280p's for highlights.

She is on 10 Ave, almost directly across from Kelly's.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

I checked Blu Bamboo, and call me cheap, but 250 pesos for a haircut and 550 for highlights seems a little spendy.

I'll go check out Sandra's place. Does she have a phone number for appointments, or is it a walk-ins welcome kinda place?

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

How much do you define as reasonable in cost? Like many things here, you will sometime pay much more for U.S. quality than you might in the States.

Island Spa has their clients, Carole Crespin took over the operation a couple of years ago.
19 Sur entre Gonzalo Guerrero y 5 Ave.
Cozumel
Quintana Roo
Mexico 77664
Tel.(in Mexico):987-8784576
islandspacozumel@yahoo.com

Another salon with full services is Shampoo owned by Victor Novelo on 5th avenue between Salas and calle 3. We attended Victor's 30th anniversary celebration two years ago. My wife often cuts her own hair as she's an expert. She has had both Carole and Victor cut her hair with her active participation and instructions. She has mostly used Victor's for nails or pedicures for decades since he has been around that long. Many have favorites and most every establishment has had unsatisfied customers, some complaints valid, some imagined.

#9 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

Paula, the original answer to the OP included a reference to Blu Bamboo's ad in the C4You newsletter. I included the link in case somebody didn't know what it was and wanted to find it and Blu Bamboo's ad. I'm not promoting anything other than info about Coz. You are making much ado about nothing. Yes, I agree, let's keep it positive.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#10 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

I would say Kenny Villanueva, I can give you his e-mail. He is one of the best in Cozumel.

B)

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

I will add my dreary little note of caution. Do not take for granted the cleanliness of any salon here. I could say the same about many in the states. But at least I believe there is some regulatory procedure in place. Here there is nothing and as a result, I've heard some really bad stories and seen one friend endure a year of a head fungus that had the US docs puzzling over. Her scalp itched like crazy and the only thing that worked was to cut her hair down to a butch and keep slathering the med lotions on her head. Took a year and it was truly a cautionary tale.

I tried Sandra once so far and she has talent. I don't see any equipment sterilizing 'chine in there, however. Not that this really makes any difference if the owners don't change the sterilizing liquid daily. which I'm sure no one does as it's too expensive.

I have a friend with great talent as a stylist so am able to largely avoid going the local salon route. But Sandra is a good cutter. She's fast and she's the only one I've tried on the island that could exactly follow a cut I liked and had already been given.

#12 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Paula, the original answer to the OP included a reference to Blu Bamboo's ad in the C4You newsletter. I included the link in case somebody didn't know what it was and wanted to find it and Blu Bamboo's ad. I'm not promoting anything other than info about Coz. You are making much ado about nothing. Yes, I agree, let's keep it positive.

#13 woofem

woofem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Based on the recommendations from this site, I went to Blue Bamboo today. Katie gave me one of the best haircuts I've had in a long time (including US haircuts) and she is just a joy to be around. I'd highly recommend this salon.

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

I checked Blu Bamboo, and call me cheap, but 250 pesos for a haircut and 550 for highlights seems a little spendy.

I'll go check out Sandra's place. Does she have a phone number for appointments, or is it a walk-ins welcome kinda place?

You've been living in Cozumel too long, GringaErin. In SF where I've taken to vacationing whenever I can get away from the island, cheap, no-frills haircuts in Chinatown are around $35 and if you want an even half decent stylist that might get a good review on websites like yelp.com, you're looking at minimum $75 US just for a short hair styling. Typically, its $90 and up. Just for the haircut alone.

#15 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Funny, when I lived in SF, I got my hair cut in the Castro for $25... But I've always had pretty low maintenance/easy cuts.

I always expect services to be cheaper here, and most of the time they are. It looks like this might be one of my exceptions :)

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'll keep the Castro in mind next go round. I was pricing North Beach including the dives.

#17 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Wow. I just paid 1400 pesos for a colour and cut at the shop in the Mega and thought it was a great bargain compared to what I'd pay at home.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#18 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

$1,400.00 Omg! Girl you should look more beutiful than what you are already for what that price was worth! :D

#19 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

I go to Rubi's (on Ave. 105, off the transversal; same street as Cameron Dorado, about 1 1/2 blocks down.) The place is owned by 3 sisters (Ericka, Cecilia and Anita). Anita gives great haircuts and they have lots of books for you to look through. Ceci does actylics and they are all very upbeat. They all do coloring. Very clean place, very reasonable. They make you feel like family; little English spoken. T
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#20 libelula

libelula

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

hey I know a place at list for full waxing Waxcenter Cozumel is the only one for real proffessional waxologist and have a too other service check the website www.waxcentercozumel.com and she speak fluent english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users