Car ferry from Florida

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

What has happened to the car ferry that used to go from Tampa to Progresso? :unsure:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#2 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

has not run in years

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

• Members
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

My husband was on the last voyage down here, and that was April, 2003.

It sure would be nice if it was back in business.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ran for a very short while.. Last trip left 100's stranded on both side of the route.. We Met a lot of people in Tampa that were stranded and Visa were running out? Short? Lots of talk since then but in reality nothing happened with any of the Plans..
On that ill fated day ..Lots of guys grouped up to discuss the options. We eventually made the trip all the way around. Numerous Mexican Dads ... decided to Fly Mom and the kids home and caravan it to Brownsville ( about 1400 miles) and then home ( another 500 to 1000 or more miles)... where ever that was for them.. An adventure it was . One that back then was not nearly as well documented as it is now..We were lucky I had freinds who had made the trip a dozen times or more.. Often the roads were bad .. Sometimes very bad... That's All Changed now ..Though you still shouldnt drive at night.. That said .. My two/ooppss three freinds have made the trip numerous times since then and never... stop. They drive from Playa to Brownsville straight through..The did it once hauling a Submarine...From Cozumel to Odessa.. The one fellow does it alone...

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I once saw a Mexico guide book published in about 1980 that stated, the long awaited ferry between Florida and Mexico should finally become a reality within the next couple of years. The main problem with the ferry company was they entered service when they were about to go bankrupt. The initiating service was a last ditch effort to try to keep from drowning in bankruptcy court.

If a company had sufficient capital and could get through the layers and layers of governmental red tape, their probability of financial profitability would be good. If it was feasible, I'd see a huge market for Mexicans wanting to visit Florida. If it had lasted at all, I would have taken it just for the ride. The Alaskan Marine Highway ferry system is the main Interstate highway system for Alaska and is the lifeline for 5,000 miles of coastal communities that have no outside road connections. Those ships operate year round in all kinds of weather. My guess is the lack of a ferry between Mexico and Florida is from complication of U.S. customs and immigration concerning Mexicans entering on vacation and equally or more so on the Mexican side, just because they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users