• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Does this forum have any thoughts on Hotel Cozumel and Resort?

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

biggest pool on the island...nice property. Hotel rooms are sufficient. You are within walking distance to the super market, and downtown.

I've had friends stay there, and it worked for them.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

I have been staying there for the last fifteen years and LOVE Hotel Coz. In my opinion this is the best value for your money on the island. You are within walking distance to town. Great pool and beach area with easy access to get in the water to snorkel or swim. The staff always goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and will help you with any needs you may have. As long as you are net expecting a five star resort you will be very happy there.

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Stayed there twice. Hotel is nice, pool nice, bar nice, pier/swim area across the street nice, easy walk to town, staff is excellent. Breakfast is great but other meals not so much.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thanks very much for the responses!

We reserved this hotel with their 'European plan' (We aren't sure if it includes breakfast or not), and it looks like we will be keeping our reservations. We are looking forward to it!

#6 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Ask for a room overlooking the street. Its a little louder but its cool to sit on the balcony and watch Cozumel in action. I always take earplugs (at any hotel).

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#7 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

We've stayed there twice and liked it just fine...for all the reasons others have posted. Very nice staff too. Breakfast there WAS great. Do take earplugs for any hotel. We have been woken early at many hotels by divers slamming their doors or the sound of air tanks clankin' etc.

#8 Iguanagirl

Iguanagirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, scuba diving, animals, exercise

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi -- My husband and I have stayed many times at Hotel Cozumel and we have really enjoyed ti there. The food is ok, the drinks are very good and the staff is very friendly. We always feel welcome when we come back! The location is perfect - close enough to town to walk in for shopping or eating. We normally do the AI, just because it is so much easier and not that much more in price. The hotel is clean, the rooms are nice and air-conditioned, and the pool is the biggest on the Island. It does not have a swim-up bar, but the little bar right next to the pool is always staffed. Enjoy! :D

#9 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Just got back yesterday from this hotel,and would like to say I echo the sentiments of the previous posters
older hotel but very clean with maids who will go out of their way to accommodate you for whatever you need
the front staff are also spot on with their attention to help you in any way they can.No mini fridge in room
although you can rent one for $10 per day,we just got bags of ice from the machine located at the end of every
corridor.
Breakfast is basic but decent, tipping the waiter every day or at the end is at your discretion.
Best to ask for a seaview and king-sized bed before arriving I did this by email and got both.
The internet access in the rooms is free but if you use the computer in the foyer on each floor they
charge you $3 per half hour and $5 per hour.
You get a card for you pool towel,if you ask for 2 towels they will just mark it against your name and you can take the towels from the hotel.
To get taxis just walk out to the main road and flag one down and ask for his price most times he will ask for $6/7 but offer $4 sometimes he will bite, at the most you will get it for $5.
Any more info please email me.

Best Regards David Ritchie Painting

#10 tyson

tyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Im staying here right now. LONG time lurker to this forum but this hotel has made me want to write a review.

Its a decent place, very clean and nice staff. Pool looks nice (why go to a pool when you are on a tropical island confuses me). I've only had the breakfast which is decent, nothing amazing but not bad by any means.

A couple things that make me not want to return
#1. Our room faces the pool, and at 0900 sharp every morning the club/drum beat music starts playing loudly and can be heard clearly even when the window is closed. We usually make it back around 4 or 5pm every day for a nap and can hear the music and pool games being announced over the PA system clearly. Once again, why go to a tropical island to shut your windows?

They make you wear plastic wristbands even when you don't do all inclusive. I cut ours off day 1 and have taped them on only for breakfast. Bands are annoying, and who wants a white stripe around their wrist after 7 days in the sun??? I realize this may be to avoid riff raff, but its a little much.

Each poolside room has a patio and ALL the patio lights turn on for a few hours at night. There is no way to shut it off and you need to close the drapes (meaning no air flow if you want the windows open).

We have stayed at Casa Del Mar twice and Plays Azul once. we would rather stay at those two, but its personal preferance. We are a younger couple but more into the outdoors than spending time in a resort. The only reason we are indoors at 0950 is because after 4 trips here we finally found a place that has margaritas where 2 of average size will get you stumbling drunk. We rarely get drunk anymore and are suffering from a mild hangover ;)

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

Where are these margaritas please? I like Tony Rome's and Mezcalito's ritas.

#12 tyson

tyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

La Choza. We aren't hard drinkers like we were in our early 20s so it doesn't take a whole lot to get us drunk, but it seems like most places here and in the states are pouring lighter than they used to where 1 or 2 drinks don't even get us buzzed. Halfway through our first drink we had a buzz and the second put us over the edge. La Choza had some of the best.food and service (which seems to be rare with the more expensive places) that we have had in our visits.

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

El Moro makes a nice stiff magarita too....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Sonora Grill has great, stiff margs. Also agree with La Choza. Some of the best fish we have ever eaten has happened there. Their margs are different, very tasty though. I think they use some orange juice or a different type of lime.

#15 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

A couple things that make me not want to return:
#1. Our room faces the pool, and at 0900 sharp every morning the club/drum beat music starts playing loudly and can be heard clearly even when the window is closed. We usually make it back around 4 or 5pm every day for a nap and can hear the music and pool games being announced over the PA system clearly. Once again, why go to a tropical island to shut your windows?

I read about this on another review - the daily incessant music and microphoned activities director. That clinched it for me to not book there. IMHO, organized "fun" is not. My vision of a vacation is peace and quiet - and earphones + my iPod if I want to listen to music. I get up early to dive and want to come back and take a nap or a relax in a hammock. I'd like to read a book by the pool. Too bad because the place is close to town and has the tunnel access to the beach. Oh well, to each his own.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#16 tyson

tyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

Yes it really is kind of a shame. Its a nice place and the tunnel to the "beach" (patio covered in sand, steps and docks) is fairly nice and can be quiet (went down there for sunset tonight and enjoyed myself in peace and quiet). Its close to downtown yet farther out that evening walks can be more private. But the partial party atmosphere just kills it for me, it would be one thing if partiers were everywhere but for the most part its a dozen or so people at any given moment....which to me is more depressing than anything. Personally I think a party atmosphere is all or nothing, like walking into Sr Frogs at 9pm and being almost by yourself. I know there's people down there having a good time and I have no problem with it, I.just.don't want to be disturbed by it when im in the room :(

I seriously think our next trip is going to.involve a beachside condo.rental as the only amenities we utilize at hotels is the parking lot, the bed and fruit breakfasts.

#17 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

I stayed there last summer. I usually stay at the Casa Mexicana because I really don't care about the pool and they have good service and a very very clean place.

What I really liked:

The dock and the tunnel to the dock. It made the pick up in the morning from my dive shop very easy and effortless.
The price - I got a great deal on an all-inclusive arrangement. Was awesome coming back from diving to have lunch waiting too.
Compared to the CM, it was nice to be out of the cruise ship traffic and the merchants hawking cuban cigars and massages every time you walk out of the hotel.

What was OK:
The pool isn't a big deal for me.
The food is ... OK. Not awful, nothing to write home about either. If ate out every night. The breakfast was OK - but CM has a much better breakfast.
The staff wasn't rude, but it seemed like they kept to themselves and didn't really go out of their way to be friendly.

What I didn't like:
The rooms were kind of blah. I didn't feel like they were as clean and modern as the CM.
The sorta party atmosphere near the pool - trying to appeal to families by having kids activities and announcing every 5 minutes that some activity will occur in X minutes - I like a little more peace that that.

Would I stay there again?
Yes, if it were at the right price, however, I still prefer the CM for its location, the food, the cleanliness and the staff.

#18 David Phillips

David Phillips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Family, baseball, diving, cycling, the list goes on and on

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

Took the kids (8 & 11 ) + mother-in-law on this trip (July 2011) and we found Hotel Cozumel to be a good all around value with the all inclusive plan.
Breakfast / snacks / dinner ... could always find something to eat even though the menu was limited.
Kids had a great time in the pool or snorkeling and they enjoyed the nightly shows ... a little cheesy, but kept the kids interested.

Staff is A+ and the rooms were nice.

I think for the next trip, we will rent a house and car, hit the Mega and go that route.
Someday, I'll grow up ... but right now, I'm having too much fun.

#19 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Greetings from OP! We went last year, but did not post when we returned.

Our stay at the Hotel Cozumel was good. We didn't stay at the hotel much, we spent most of our trip touring the island, just using the hotel as a place to sleep. The kids (9 and 6) loved the pool. We took a couple trips to their beach for snorkeling, although it was real small area, and there were never many people there. The family really liked the breakfast buffet, I thought it was OK. They did have some evening entertainment, the entertainers were working hard, but it didn't seem to attract a lot of residents. A very nice hotel that served our purpose. Thanks again for all the feedback?

#20 Cait

Cait

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hubby and I have this booked for May. After reading these reviews, I am glad we went for the Ocean view rather than pool view. I can't take the loud music that doesn't dull when you shut your door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users