• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Does anyone know, about luggage can one fit in the back of a Jeep Wrangler? (With two adults and two children riding.)

Its been a very LONG time since I have rented or driven on one of these. Blueway's website is showing a luggage capacity of "1", compared to standard cars with a luggage capacity of "3". I'm concerned if we get one of these, we might need an alternate method of getting our luggage from the CZM to our hotel!

Thanks in advance!

#2 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

There's no way you can fit 4 peeps and all your luggage into a Jeep Wrangler. Besides that, when driving around the island, seeing the sights, it's very difficult to secure your belongings in a jeep when you are away from the vehicle. I never saw the attraction to a Jeep myself. We rented one during one vacation at the insistence of my nephew and we all hated it.

#3 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

If you are set on a Jeep plan on making two trips to your hotel. Just leave one person at the airport with the remainder of your luggage. We have a Jetta on the island and have done exactly this when we have several people who come to stay at one time.

Plan A for me would be to rent a car. Four door with AC and a trunk that locks. Much more practical than a Jeep and normally less expensive, and holds a lot more luggage. Feeling the wind on your face is great but with the sun beating down and virtually no shade you will be wishing for AC in short order.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

I love that term "peeps"...but anyway.

Not sure if Blueway rent them, but you can rent a 4 door, hard top (real glass windows) Jeeps here.

As mentioned, security will be an issue for the soft tops (no tops) Jeeps, or VW's. The other descriptions of heat, and wind is also true. I have an open Jeep and I can't talk to anyone because of the road and wind noise.

You have a couple options as I see it.

1. Ask Blueway to delivery the vehicle to your hotel
2. Send the wife, kids and luggage on the Taxi Suttle to the hotel, and you go get the car
3. Take the rental and the luggage to the hotel, then go back and get the "Peeps"

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

As long as it is out of sight of the rental agency, you'd be amazed at the luggage capacity of many vehicles if you bring a good length of rope and a roll of duct tape. Try not to hit any bumps.

#6 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

We rented one of the new 4 doors from Thrifty last year and knew there was no way we were going to get all of us and the luggage in the car in one trip. We put my parents and daughter on a shared van $8 a person along with their luggage and they were at the hotel in fifteen minutes and did not have to wait around while we signed the contract etc. On the way back to the airport we made two trips since we were staying at Hotel Coz. Worked out great and everybody was happy.

#7 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the insights. 15 years ago having a Jeep on the island was a blast! Now that I have wife and two kids, I may have to reconsider the 4-door.

We would only need to transport luggage between the airport to our hotel (HC&R), and then at the end of the trip from the hotel to the pier. During the vacation, we'd only be transporting us 4 peeps, and our snorkel gear.

I'd like to avoid two trips if we can (Is it about 15 minutes each way from the airport to HC&R?) I checked our hotel web site, and they say because of the Taxi union, we would expect to pay about $9 per person to get from the airport to the hotel. Do you think the taxi will have a problem taking 1 peep with 4 peeps of luggage?

#8 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Joey,

A taxi (Not the ones at the aiport) would be good for you but they are not welcome at the airport so you are gonna have to get out of the airport and walk at least 3 blocks in order to get a taxi.

If you take the airport's vans, yes there will be a problem. I worked before with a company meeting people at the airport and trust me, they won't allow that to happen! The best thing for you to do is take the whole service, you know... 3 people with their luggage.}

Good luck! ;)

#9 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Ok, I agree sending 1 peep on a shuttle with 4 peeps of luggage sounds like a plan by a gringo cheapskato.

Do you think the shuttle would take my wife with just one suitcase, her purse, and a camera? That would leave a seat open on the vehcile where we can pile on the rest of the luggage...

Or what if we rent a car at the airport where we can take all the luggage and the peeps to the hotel, and while they unpack and get settled I could run over to Blueway's downtown/pier location and see if they will upgrade to a jeep?

Hmmmm....

#10 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well,

Your wife can take for sure a couple of luggage with her(make sure they are the biggest), that lagguge would go in back of the van and her purse and camara would go on top of her legs.

you can always buy two tickets and take 2 luggage per person so you can take one of your children with you and the rest of the luggage in the jeep, otherwise... Plan B... you will have to take the second option you mentioned before with the car rental thing.

;)

#11 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

After all that, my wife finally decided she would be too nervous with our kids (or "peep-itos", ages 6 & 9) in the back of the jeep in case they might take off their seat belts. With all the issues with logistics, I may just back off on this one, and just get us a mid-size with a real trunk.

Who knows, maybe when we are there she might consider an upgrade....

#12 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Most jeeps are convertible, it won't be open at all if you don't want to. ;)

Regards! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users