13 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

We're thinking of buying a cheap little new car locally for toddling around places it's too dang hot most of the year to drive to in our oooooollllld Taurus wagon whose AC hasn't worked in 15 years.

Anyone else done this recently? If so, would appreciate you sharing your details and experiences.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

The words cheap and new can not be used in the same sentence with reference to cars. Everything is relative to somewhere else. Our friends qualified for a super discount for having a family member working for Ford in the States. This super family discount meant they got a stripped down, no frills version of what the full dealer sticker price would be in the States, same model, but loaded. Just like in the States, it is difficult to buy a used vehicle only a few years old at a realistic price. Just like in the States, people who finance their cars always owe the bank more than the car is really worth.

I'm curious too, what is the latest requirement for buying and plating a vehicle by a foreigner? Did they scrap that special Quintana Roo only law that required FM2s? That was really a creative surprise and horror to car dealers when they decided on that one. Isn't the plate office upstairs next to Luh's Magic of Design. I'll try to check what the rules are this month. We have an new administration changing coming up in April, new mayor, new governor...new rules?

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

A friend of mine bought a new car here about two years ago for $60,000 pesos. I don't call that terribly expensive.

#4 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:41 PM

Charles we dont buy new cars here anymore.. We buy Very Late Model Low Mileage vehicles.. NOB...
2 Year Old Ford Taurus SEL Moon Roof Leather power everything....$12K with 19,000 on the meter. My 3 year old Dodge ( Dear Old Dads Garage Experiment) Full Size Crew Cab V8 4X4 Leather $13.5K with 23,000 on the meter..
Carey That sounds like a very do-able price for new car : ) Suits your needs Under $5000.00 USD ? Does it have what you want? I think A/C was the only dealer breaker right?
How to save money buying any car?
Buy a Car you can afford..
One you can write a check for... No Payments.. No Interest.
Why would anyone want to add $3K to $10K to the price of a car?
We took out one loan, one time, in 24 years for one New..car. I did the math.. I can buy that New car with cash, or.. I can take that same money and Rehab a apartment building we own.. I would then make so much more on the rent, that my New Renters will pay for that car in 3 years.. humm done deal..At The end of the third year I had the car for free, and I was now making more money, every month for as long as I owned that rental...

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Carey:

I've been told that someone is interested in my 2007 Jetta, but they have not contacted me directly. It is standard transmission, with A/C, 6200 km (no typo), and extremely clean. I'm off the island, but will return the morning of 2/22. It's first come, first served if you're interested.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

We're thinking of buying a cheap little new car locally for toddling around places it's too dang hot most of the year to drive to in our oooooollllld Taurus wagon whose AC hasn't worked in 15 years.

Anyone else done this recently? If so, would appreciate you sharing your details and experiences.

Hi Carey,
You might be interested in our car. I just posted it in La Bodega. It's been a great car for us.
Henri'

#7 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

I know you said "Locally" but I was talking today with a friend of mine and he told there is a "Tianguis" which is like a flea market in Cancún where you can find really cheap cars though. All the Q.Roo State have the same plates so it won't be that bad. You can also check on the newspaper or in the local magazine (La cartelera), there is a list of a cars for sale.

Think about it! B)

#8 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Be aware that annual auto taxes can be $5000 to $6000 or more on a "New(not used) Car"!

T.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Be aware that annual auto taxes can be $5000 to $6000 or more on a "New(not used) Car"!

T.

Ouch! And that goes on for how many year? Also I assume all that brouhaha last year about foreigners with FM3's not being able to purchase new Mexican plated cars was just that, correct?

If we do find a car that suits either here on the island or on the mainland, would someone be kind enough to run us through the legal steps involved? I seem to remember a case awhile back where a foreigner purchased a new car here only to find out their legal status wouldn't allow them to register it. Was that misinformation? Or perhaps the buyer didn't have the proper papers?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, thanks for all the emails offering used cars for sale. But I should have said I want not only reliable AC but an automatic. Stick shifts on the Calles is a bore and a half. (I know. I had one for about 6 months.)

#10 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

Mexican Plate "issue" for New and Newer...cars , goes on, at a declining rate for 5 years IIRC.
Not sure what the discussion was here about purchasing a Mexican plated car , but on many sites it was about the fact that, an FMT could no longer purchase a Mexican Plated Vehicle. You can still buy a home etc etc. But Not a Motorized Vehicle.. Dang Taxi Syndicate/Mafia!!!

#11 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Another consideration. If You Buy New? IMHO is to buy it on the island or at least from a Manufacturer that is represented on the island..
A freind bought a Nissan in Cancun and that is where he had to return it to for warranty work.. Again only IMHO , but a huge PITA.... and what if it had not been running? Even if just the A/C goes out.. Ferry boat to Caleta drive to Cancun maybe have to stay overnight and then return? $$$

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

Yah, I agree re trying to find something on the island. Nissan is well known for having great AC, however. Although prices on their lowest end cars with AC and auto trans start at around $150,000 pesos. More than twice what tight-wad here was hoping to pay.

#13 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

Just IMHO.......
Buying anything? Is buying a pig in a poke.... Ive worked on cars and trucks and motorcycles for 40 years.. Its still even for me...a pig in a poke..an educated(?) guess? A/C systems are by an large $ for $ all pretty much the same..
I am sorry if I offend the poster who said his car was completely re-wired.. It probably wasn't.. #1. Its a HUGE Job! I.... can say that because I have done it. It can require days and days of disassembly alone.. There's a lot...under the hood and a lot more UNDER and Behind that dashboard! Its Best accomplished..... if a New Wiring Harness ( ssssss) are used and a lot more work if they are not.. I sure wouldn't like the idea of someone , anyone soldiering on my wire harness and then taping it..Too Many Issues.. I have the proper tools and materials and the skill and the time.. to do it right . You wont find most of those on Cozumel... I just got done with a 1970 MGB and its a simple project compared to a newer car...
One thing I might well be doing is being very careful with consideration made for any vehicle that was or even could have been, around prior to Wilma.. If it was New paint would be a red flag.. If it takes you only a few minutes to look over a car a few to numerous years old? Either you didn't do a good job or you dont know what your looking at.. or for.. and as I said its still a pig in a poke???
BTW the Radio is the VERY last of your concerns keep it off till Everything else has been surmised..

#14 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

Humm $150,000.00 MNPs = about?? $12,500.00 USD? I would be surprised if you could find anything with A/C and Automatic Trans "New" except for a throw away for much less.. A $10 mask is not going to work well as a serious dive mask .... so to speak.. If you want it cheap ? Your going to get...cheaply made..
I too have heard and seen, repeatedly about the Auto-Ramas(?) for Used Privately Owned cars in Cancun and Merida..
I would assume that most if not all Expats having been in Mexico more than a couple years.. Speak at least "Street" Spanish pretty dang good..As I hear? Your going to need to be able to Speak the language..
Someone or ones , here, or elsewhere, voiced concerns about plating, out of state vehicles? Our Bug was plated in Chiapas when we bought it.
We saw or had, No Issues, it was simple transaction.. ahhhhh but that was before the recent scourge in legal documentation changes, made last June...

Yah, I agree re trying to find something on the island. Nissan is well known for having great AC, however. Although prices on their lowest end cars with AC and auto trans start at around $150,000 pesos. More than twice what tight-wad here was hoping to pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users