• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

My friends, husband, and I have just booked our trip to Cozumel and are staying at the Villablanca in early June. Any advice on what to definitely bring as opposed to what we should just wait to get at the local store? My husband and I haven't travelled much outside of the US and never at anything besides AI. We think that not doing AI we will get to experience more of the island. We are very open minded about trying anything at least once and are looking forward to the adventure. Planning to do several excursions also. Any recommendations for must see and do would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

Jeanie
Jeanie

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Bring soft sided cooler or insulated/insulted bag. (thanks Paula!) Various sizes of ziplock freezer bags. Sunscreen and aloe. Something to eat on the plane (granola, chex mix, etc.). Lots of antibacterial wipes for plane and everywhere else. Small bottles of antibacterial gel. Beach tote.

Buy there: fruit/veg soak, limes and booze, Twistos and chips, queso(cheese), soda and juice.

You will have a great time!

#3 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thank you very much dawnb for the info!! Will definitely follow your helpful advice.
Jeanie

#4 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

I always throw in a couple of 'chip clips' in my luggage. If you are gonna make sandwiches/snacks while you're there, they come in real handy for keeping your chips fresh. Ditto on bringing the baggies. A hat or cap is a must in June. As far as things to do, you don't have to do formal excursions, per se. Our favorite place to go is to the east side of the island. Just drive along the coastal road until a place strikes your fancy, then park and get out to enjoy the ocean and the beach. It's easy to imagine yourself all alone on the island when you're on the wild side :)

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Yes! Always have a couple clothespins, a pen knife, rubber jar opener which can double as a sink stopper, and a corkscrew. We put those in our "bar bag" in our checking in bag.

#6 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thank y'all again for the information. I just saw the FAQ page with the packing list which helps a lot also. Btw, anyone ever stay at the Villablanca? If so, are towels a problem? I saw several reviews on tripadvisor.com that mentioned difficulty getting towels or the towels being threadbare. I'm wondering if this is a necessary item to pack. I would like to bring as little as possible. However, that being said, I like to be prepared also. Even if my Husband is the boy scout of the group while I am the germaphob. :D
Jeanie

#7 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

We have stayed at VB three times and like it very much. Are you staying in a superior room? They are so much more...well, superior. We loved having a full sized fridge, big rooms, big bathroom and great A/C. See if you can upgrade. Very nice staff and always promptly answer my emails.
The small pool is very rarely used and we mostly had it to ourselves. Didn't use the hot tub.
It's nice having the OXXO store (a block or so away) for snacks, ice etc...and they have excellent coffee at OXXO...go figure.
La Palapita across the street is fun for snorkeling, great sunsets and salsa music on Friday nights...excellent service.
Towels? We didn't have any problem with towels at VB. We never take our own towels to the island.
We ate pretty often next door at Papa Hogg's...at least for breakfast. Had a great dinner at the VB Restaurant one night.
La Hach across the street is a nice bar with good views and sometimes has live music.
Look for Javier mid morning at La Palapita or in that area...he'll be selling his churros and even if you don't any, he's very kind and a wealth of info about Cozumel.

#8 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hey JMAR I am going to Cozumel at the same time you are with friends and staying at the Villa Blanca. Just hang with us and we will show you around!! LOL

#9 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hey JMAR I am going to Cozumel at the same time you are with friends and staying at the Villa Blanca. Just hang with us and we will show you around!! LOL

Hey Willie,
That sounds great!!  My friends have been many times. I'm sure between all of us we will have an awesome time!
Jeanie

#10 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

We have stayed at VB three times and like it very much. Are you staying in a superior room? They are so much more...well, superior. We loved having a full sized fridge, big rooms, big bathroom and great A/C. See if you can upgrade. Very nice staff and always promptly answer my emails.
The small pool is very rarely used and we mostly had it to ourselves. Didn't use the hot tub.
It's nice having the OXXO store (a block or so away) for snacks, ice etc...and they have excellent coffee at OXXO...go figure.
La Palapita across the street is fun for snorkeling, great sunsets and salsa music on Friday nights...excellent service.
Towels? We didn't have any problem with towels at VB. We never take our own towels to the island.
We ate pretty often next door at Papa Hogg's...at least for breakfast. Had a great dinner at the VB Restaurant one night.
La Hach across the street is a nice bar with good views and sometimes has live music.
Look for Javier mid morning at La Palapita or in that area...he'll be selling his churros and even if you don't any, he's very kind and a wealth of info about Cozumel.

Thank you for the reassurance about the towels and the helpful hints. We are staying in the superior rooms. Seems like that was the best way to go. 
Jeanie

#11 tropicalgirl2

tropicalgirl2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

We've stayed at VB several times and love it. I always take along some insulated mugs to keep beverages cold at the pool or beach. Get a downstairs superior room. You can walk right out of the patio doors to the pool area. The hot tub is great, but they don't always keep it on. They will turn it on if you ask, and it doesn't take real long to heat up even. Eat breakfast at the hotel in the little open air restaurant by the pool. It is run by a very nice man named Arturo (not sure of spelling) He makes great breakfast - have him recommend what to order. I can't remember the name of my favorite dish, but he recommended it and it is an egg burrito covered with refried beans and a spicy sauce, cheese and Mexican cream. Very yummy and filling! He speaks very good English and is fun to talk to.
Go to the beach club across the street to hang out, and the restaurant/bar across the street has bands on the weekends with a fun, local crowd. We walk to town from the VB, but it is a pretty good hike and we usually take a taxi back.

#12 JMar

JMar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Tropic algirl2,
Thank you for the advice. It all sounds wonderful. We can't wait to go! Your information is very reassuring to me. Sounds like we have picked the right place. I'll be sure to ask Arturo for his recommendations.

Thank you again,
Jeanie
Jeanie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users