How to visit Castillo Real Ruin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

http://www.world-gui...tillo_real2.jpg

I ran across this photo that claims to be of Castillo Real up in the 'inaccessible northeast' point of the island. Is this what's up there? Is there anyway to get to this place? What I've read is that there are no roads that you can travel but that there is a 'jungle buggy' tour that takes you up there. Or that it is accessible by boat. Also, I saw a reference to there being several shipwrecks off this coast in 'gentle water' that are dive-able. What's the scoop?

#2 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

I may be wrong, but.....that photo in the original post is of El Castillo at Tulum, not here on the island at all. The best preserved ruins on the island, (and very accessable ones) are at San Gervasio. I don't have any information regarding ruins on the north side of the island, but maybe someone else can help out.
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks, Laura! I suspected that the picture was wrong (just because it shows up in a google search labeled "Castillo Real Cozumel" doesn't make it true). I couldn't believe that a ruin that large and that nice was in a totally un-visited part of Cozumel. I suppose the notation about the "shipwrecks" is inaccurate too?

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hurricane Wilma disintegrated the shipwrecks years ago.

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Photos of Castillo Real Cozumel in 2003 from jefflewis.netPosted ImagePosted Image

#6 tintorera

tintorera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

assually there are some mayan ruins in the nort side of the island.

check this photos: https://picasaweb.go...2395/PuntaNorte
contact Brigido_789@hotmail.com

hope that help.

regards

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hey, thanks for sharing that photo album. It looks like this was a boat trip to that location. Was this privately arranged or is there someone who offers this trip regularly. Your photos do make it clear, however, that the 1st photo I posted asking if this was of the north end of Cozumel - it was not. Thanks again.

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Adrain who owns Especias Restaurant does these tours by boat. It's a great time and he's a wealth of info about the island.

#9 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

How can I get to this Ruin? The Ruins are the thing I want to see the most.

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

From what I'm understanding from the conversation, those pictures earlier in the thread appear to be the whole picture of what is up at the north end. I've been to San Gervasio ruins just off the transversal road in Cozumel. It is a much more sizable place to visit. If you've not been there before (and don't want to spend a day or more traveling to Chitchen Itza), try San Gervasio.

#11 tintorera

tintorera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

you can contact the guy ho makes that trip at brigido_789@hotmail.com

regards

#12 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

"Tintorera", When I see your nickname, 4 things come to mind, Isla de Mujeres, Tiger Sharks, the late Ramon Bravo(I had the honor to meet him when he was here on Cozumel a couple of years before his death)and the movie "Tintorera"(filmed in Cancun and on Isla), which was mexican televison last month. "Tintorera" can also be found on YouTube, broken down in 10 minute seqments. Nice photos by the way. I resently saw an old copy oy a Production Vidio filmed here on Cozumel around the same time, 1977. It showed some street scenes of Old Cozumel and the light house and some of the ruins on the north end. Also was shown Xcaret, in it's natural state, Akumal, Xel-Ha, Tulum and Coba, all before developement.

T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users