• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I haven't been a smoker for 10 Years but an elderly friend of mine is a cigar loving native of Florida.
I have heard tales of Real Cuban Cigars being available on Cozumel. I have also heard of fakes.
If I cannot bring them back to the States I might look for some Dominican Cigars.
Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
I'll be on Cozumel February 19th. I cannot wait.

#2 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

There are both real and fake Cuban cigars here. The real ones will not be available at a too-good-to believe price, so if somone offers you a deal that's too good to be true, there's probably fake. You can get them for a reasonable price though. My friend Arcelia on A.R.Salas between 5th and 10th Ave has a shop with Cuban, Dominican, and Mexican Cigars and she will gladly educate you on the difference and how spot a fake. I once took a Cuban cigar for a friend back to the US by removing the little individual seal that says Cuban and by putting it in a Mexican Cigar container.
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#3 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

FYI: More "Cuban" cigars are made in Mexico than in Cuba.

#4 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

I agree with pato52 : ) I would if so inclined.. go with ljohnsons offer.. Get educated ..Before You Buy.. There are a lot of Good Dominicans available .. Even an EXCELLENT Cigar can go bad very quickly if stored and handled improperly..

#5 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

One of the ONLY place that you can count on real Habanos cigars on Cozumel is the LCDH (la casa del habanos). It is on melgar right across from the ferry pier. If you are standing facing Fat Tuesdays it is up a staircase (wooden) to the left. Very modern and the ONLY place sourcing their cigars from the Mx City I.E.P.T distributor who in turn gets their supply ( and all of Mexico's) from Cuba directly. While prices may be higher that the 5$ Coheeebas sold at the tourist traps on Melgar (among other places in San Miguel designed to take money from cruse ship patrons hoping for a taste of the forbidden fruit) you will find the real deal and not have to wonder if you just smoked floor scraps or even worse. Some of my favorite fakes sold on the island include ANYTHING in a glass top box presentation, or multicolored wrappers that look like a barber pole lmao. No such thing as a 'cheap Cuban cigar' these days ;o) BTW, Like all things in Czm it would seem that the Managers have changed. Mike is still there but the GM is now Dennis who used to work for Habanos SA so he knows his cigars for sure.

Here is a previous review of the new LCDH I posted on CZMmyCzm (w/ pix)

http://www.cozumelmy...ch=1

Posted Image

Happy Smoking, and tell Dennis hi for me ;o)

Mikes

#6 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

I hope I can find, Afford, Pack, and Bring back some fine Cigars. I know my friend won't be with us for to much longer so I hope to bring a fine memory back to life for him.
I will find the shop as I will be right there. I hope I do well.
Thank You so Much for the wonderful help.

David

#7 smiling028

smiling028

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

How much should we expect to pay for a cuban?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users