• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jadamar

jadamar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

What would be reasonable tipping for a couple, diving 2 tanks am and 1 tank afternoon?

#2 Melba02

Melba02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

I think whatever you want to tip with is ok. Have you thought maybe 20% as a minimum of what you originally paid for the tanks ;) ?

That's my thought! B)

#3 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

I've done US$10 or MP$100 for a two tank. Divemaster and captain split. Seems to be the norm for the divers I know.

#4 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

IMHO tipping is a very personal thing.. That said . Some I feel, over tip causing issues and problems and others under tip ..
Wait-staff of all kinds really depend on tips for their income. Its the nature of the job..HOWEVER.... Dive Guides and Dive Master, jobs are much sought after jobs on the island.. They most often pay... very well ......for the island.
20% of a $70 2 tank X 6 equates to around $75 a day. That( $75 a day) is real good money In Mexico and on Cozumel..
Tips? Do they split them all 50/50? Hummm For me I tip them separately. One or other may have done a Great Job while the other was a lazy slacker...I .. tend to give the Captain less than the Dive master..
What do I look for ?
The Boat Captains job:
Get me there quickly? Welllll For sure, but safely and comfortably too!
He needs to drop me, in the right location too.. BTW.. I dont expect the boat to be new but I expect it ot be clean and spotless..
When I first hit the water I am looking for the reef.. Its... its wayyyyyyy over there? = Swim swim swim... He just lost a big portion of his tip.. He, better excel at the rest of his assigned work task : ) If he's in a hurry to get me back? Rushing to return by noon or sooner? It goes down some more.. Thats why more and more shops are requiring the Guys.... to stay X number of hours per day..

Dive Guide/Master: Its all dependant upon what you desire.. No Less than a brief description of what and where, we are about to dive .. any issues or peculiarities, such as faster than normal currents etc etc Particular things to see here and there..along the way.. I dont need him to hold my hand, but I will be cognizant of how well he is watching his group.. Is he herding us?? Just trying to move us along .. get .. to ... the .. end ...... of this dive? Or is he stopping along the way to point things out? Or is he just obliviously drifting along..Again...just waiting for this dive..... to end..
Captain and Dive Guide: If you dont dive often with them you may not know.. But are they Pressing to dive only the dives close to the pickup point and return..?? Do they tend to always have excuses why they dont want to dive this dive or that?
Tipping is very personal..
Finale Note: YOU... have responsibilities too.. I dont have as many dives as say Mike Beasley on this board , but I have dove a bit.. I know...
I make... a shore dive first on every trip no matter where I am.. I check my gear.. and my weights and look for any ear issues I might not have been aware of.. I get to the boat EARLY!.. I have EVERYTHING in a package weight belt holding it all together in a neat package, and ready to go..
For me .. a huge point of irritation.. No One on that boat is your Personal Valet/Nanny.. If you feel you need one ? You need to do a lot more shallow water beach dives......
I know this was long and not always Focused on tipping but I hope some will find it was all worth repeating??

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

My husband tips $100 p's for a two tank dive. We live here, and he dives all the time.

I admire you for checking first...top notch in my book!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Most divers give US$5 per tank.

#7 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

I always give the DM 100 pesos for a two tank, so 200 for a couple doing two dives. I'm always told that him and capitan split it. I've seen people tip way more if they get to see something cool and I've seen no tips from people. Any DM anywhere doesn't make a lot so tips are always appreciated:)
I'm a fish!

#8 jadamar

jadamar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thank you for all info and suggestions on tipping. My wife and I will be coming back to Cozumel in April for a week of diving and can't wait. We have been coming to Cozumel fo 10 years and I forget every year the tipping amounts. This year I will put it in our dive books. Everyone on this site is so very helpful, like the Island it's self.

#9 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

the captain and the mate have a special relationship.... that relationship and trust is GONE if the one pockets a tip especially given to him. tips are pooled. if you are on a boat with a bunch of divers (say, 12), there will be 2 DMs, a captain, and sometimes 2 mates. all do their share and all split the tips, usually evenly.
even if you think the captain is a slacker DURING your dives, remember he is responsible not only for getting you to the reef, but to also set up the equipment, to make sure the boat is in good safe working order before you show up, cleaning the boat afterwards, maintaining his certificates (yearly usually) and so much more. you are seeing most of the DM work during your ride to and from and in the water. the capt and mate's work is a different story.
if the boat ain't working, the DM can't take you diving. so they split. even if you are not in agreement. i have worked on tours where we had 17 people splitting tips. one guide was seen accepting a tip, not putting it in the colletive tip jar, and he was denied any tips that day and was no longer trusted. tips that day were around $20usd. after all was said and done, his greediness was for a $2 tip or so.

it is fine to give a tip to the capt and one to the DM to the proportions you see fit. just know that in the end, it is split 50/50. but if they tell eachother what was given, and you give the capt less, he may get the hint and up his service.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Richard W. I think your expectations are fair and valid. Just as a diver and not a DM I don't really care about the speed of getting to a location as much as I do about comfort, riding in a dry boat with a satisfactory area to set up and an on-board head is a very positive point with a lot of people. For sure the DM's are not your sherpa or baggage handler. Frankly, even though we set up the clients gear because everyone else does and it is expected, I think a diver should set up their own gear. It is amazing how much you can learn about a diver just by watching them set up their kit. Making sure your gear works is YOUR responsibility. Even if you have it serviced prior to a dive vacation it is advisable, at the very least, to make sure everything is working prior to departure from pier or marina. If your equipment fails upon arrival to the reef do not blame the DM. And with the computers....there are dozens of models. Do not expect the DM to be an expert problem solver or to understand the settings of a computer that he/she has never seen before. As far as nanny/baby sitter...I agree the DM has more to do than focus all of his/her attention on one diver and has a responsibility to the rest of the group. If you really feel you need some personalized attention it is easy and not very expensive to hire a seperate DM to assist you. Per dive sites: In general we just go where the group wants to go as long as weather permits and the site is within the level of competency of the ALL the divers.

Tipping is a personal decision based on service rendered and the financial situation of the client. I have seen people leave no tip whatsoever and I have seen people tip more than what they paid for the trip itself. Mostly what I see is around $5-10USD per diver per 2 tank trip.

Cozumel Diving

#11 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

I tip 10 USD for each trip out.
FYI, a trip consists of 2 tanks and about 3 hours total time.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users