Photo

How to watch usa tv on laptop for free anyone?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smiling028

smiling028

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

I believe that a month or so ago someone talked about a web service that you could watch american tv through your laptop while in cozumel. I have searched this site and cannot find the website in spite of signing up for the free service before leaving the states. Anyone know? Thanks, Christy

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

At the moment I can't remember the name. I did look at it and I wasn't impressed. There was a discussion about using sling boxes and the like which suck up bandwidth which slows down the whole Internet for everyone. The discussion was a couple of months back. The free TV was a milder Internet drain, but watching a mini sized TV program on a computer doesn't make it for me over basic cable with a wide flat screen TV. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Try getting a satellite dish if you're determined for U.S. TV. Cablemas carries many of the programs from assorted networks, but may be a week behind the U.S. schedule.

#3 Oregongirl1

Oregongirl1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

I watch US TV on www.ustvnow.com...if anyone else has a different site please post.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

if you are sucking bandwidth over the INTERNET, you will be on the most hated list.

Either rent a place that has Satellite TV, or survive without your TV shows for the time you are here.

There are a couple of pathetic folks who use Sling box to watch their SOAPS...how bad off can you be.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Paula ,
I understand that you have strong feelings about this . But there are quite a few locals ( not expats ) that use a couple of these websites to watch sporting events which they would not otherwise be able to view .

Also if you have a newer tv , you can purchase a cable at mega ( about $ 6.00 ) to connect the computer to your tv and view the event .

Incididentally , I do have a 1 meter and 2 meter dish at my house for dish network and have never used slingbox .

This is meant for info only .

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

I have sat dishes, so what ever you do in town doesn't effect me one bit. I am basing my opinion on two things, one the bandwidth that these system suck up (which impacts all transactions that depend on the internet), and the very vocal complaints from those who suffer low speeds connection because of those who do.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Paula,
As you know, I understand your's and Greg's situation in Mariposa .I am just trying to provide info from my first hand personal experiences in czm .

I do not advocate nor do I encourage anyone to use these serviices.

It is just info as a last resort.

My cousin and and I were in czm for the NFC and AFC championship games . He was staying at Casa Del Mar because of the convenience in diving . We were able to watch the NFC game at his hotel( in Spanish ) . However we could not get the AFC game there .

Because of high speed internet at my house ( thru Telmex ) we were able to come to my house and watch the game ( via internet ). A local friend shared his and friend's experiences in watching sporting events via these websites .

I understand your passion on this subject and I do not want this to become a slippery slope !
Although I have followed this website for several years ,I rarely post unless I feel that I have info which would be beneficial to others.

Believe me,I am only providing info for others whom may find themselves in the situation that I found myself in .

This is only meant as a counterpoint to your posting.

IMHO, You have made your point .

#8 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

I have slingbox and have only used it once in the last 6 months on the island...and then only for the last 10 minutes of a show I was watching (season premier) and the dork who controls the controller for the whole condo decided to change to another channel....In my move I chose Cablemas over Dish not because of the cost but because when it's really cloudy or rains hard the dish goes down.....
I think Slingbox has it's place as a backup...I use a HDMI cable from the computer to the Flat screen....but again...it's only a backup....

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

Terry when you watched the game on your computer did it stream steadily without glitches such as stopping or buffering?

I have a satellite. I only watch American football and movies I have no intention of using this type of service. I am just interested.

Cozumel Diving

#10 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Mike,
Once again I am not trying to promote this but yes .

The audio was amazing as well as the video.

It streamed as steady as regular tv with almost no glitches.-- no stopping and buffering . It did require downloading a program to run the site .

no problems there either

#11 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Terry. Like I said I won't be using it but it sounds cool.

Cozumel Diving

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Terry, no worries about slippy slopes, we haven't even hit the tall grass. :D

I wonder if you received good reception based on which day, and hour you where using it?

If you didn't get glitches, hiccups during viewing then it sounds like it worked well for you.

I am looking for my volume control...I am sure I came equipment with one.

Anonymous

#13 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Paula,
I meant no offense by the slippery slope comment and I am glad none was taken . I just did not want to have things escalate into a full blown discussion with specific sites ,details , and further discussions.

I have gone to great expense installing dishes and establishing dish network service .However, I do not receive abc cbs,nbc, or fox. I am not there often enough to justify the expense .

My cousin and I are both from Baton Rouge and are ( as you would imagine ) avid L.S.U. and Saints fans. For several years we have made the sports bar runs to watch these games. My go to computer guy ( Miguel ) in czm had told me of an American website that he and his friends go to to watch boxing matches and soccer games. Because of the circumstances on that day , I contacted him and he hooked us up.

On a late January day in czm , my cousin and I chose to open the doors and windows at my house, crack back in our recliners , drink a couple of Sols , have a pizza delivered from Nino's , and watch the AFC championship game.( without the crowds and expense of a sports bar )

To my way of thinking, life just does not get a whole lot better than that!

And that is all I have to say on this subject !

#14 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Try Blinkx.com. It has worked for us a couple of times. Buffering wasn't much of an issue.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#15 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

If you must...
I would bet you could fit a satellite dish and the receiver in your luggage. Haven't seen it on Coz but I am a sailor and have seen satellite dishes attached to dock pilings so the cruisers could watch TV. And yes, satellite dishes work most anywhere in the world.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Gary, in most cases these mini dishes would work, but they don't work here.

The smallest dish that is usable here is 4 feet, then increases from there. We have an 8 foot dish, and live on the south end of the island, have Dish Network, and we still need a bigger dish.

A couple of reasons for the need for larger dishes here;

1. The L&L that Cozumel sits at in relationship to the satellites (they are directed at the US)
2. Direct TV have changed to Spot Beams, which means that Cozumel received no bleed over.
3. Dish Network works much better here, but again, it depends on the size of the dish, and also where you are located on the island.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users