27 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

Nelda had a house break in last week and is looking into alarm systems. She asked me to post the following info:

Daniel and Terry of Coco's fame are distributors and installers for an alarm system. If anyone gets the details on which system they're using, post here please. Door activated and/or motion activated. Piercing alarm plus rings at up to 6 telephone numbers of your choice.

It's not going to work for me as we have, um, would you believe?? 16 exterior doors. (Yah we really believe in letting the outside in.) And I have massive doubts about a motion detection system here which would go off every time an iguana strolled by not to mention a palm fround dropped or a norte blew in. Would work for an apartment, however. Here's the info if anyone wants to contact them.

Daniel Ocejo Anduze
Terry Barnhart de Ocejo
987 115 0637
GuardianSiempreAlerta@gmail.com

#2 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Might you? Those of you with a few tools and a minimal amount of mechanical aptitude, desire a step by step cheap & easy system, you can install for yourselves?

Ask anyone who's been trained and installed lots of these systems.. Your first line of defence is the perimeter. Once on the ground behind your 9 foot walls out of sight... things get a whole lot easier..

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I think people are looking for current knowledge from those who live here, or have an investment here.

Walls deter no one...unless you have invested in bars and gates, and know who is working at your house, you are an opportunity...plain and simple.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I can't imagine how a perimeter alarm would work very well for a lot of places here. Certainly not ours! As I said, the iguanas alone that lounge on most people's walls would set these off multiple times per day. And then there's the cats that make every garden their own climbing from wall top to wall top. Swaying branches would do it, too, I would venture to guess. Oh, yah--Birds. And I'm trying to imagine how a motion sensor would react when it's getting blown around physically during a norte. This is getting kind of funny.

Now I could see how it would work in a very controlled environment like a condo or a unit in an apartment complex.

#5 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

That's the difference in our training knowledge and experience..Bird cats and Iguanas would have zero effect on the system.. Norte again my expeience has proven ZERO effect ..do as you like ..

I can't imagine how a perimeter alarm would work very well for a lot of places here. Certainly not ours! As I said, the iguanas alone that lounge on most people's walls would set these off multiple times per day. And then there's the cats that make every garden their own climbing from wall top to wall top. Swaying branches would do it, too, I would venture to guess. Oh, yah--Birds. And I'm trying to imagine how a motion sensor would react when it's getting blown around physically during a norte. This is getting kind of funny.

Now I could see how it would work in a very controlled environment like a condo or a unit in an apartment complex.

#6 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hilarious hahahahaha

I think people are looking for current knowledge from those who live here, or have an investment here.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Hilarious hahahahaha

It's true I haven't read up on the newest technology and maybe a boo boo for posting my opinion because of that. However, if a system detects motion, I'm not sure how it is going to be able to distinguish between the elements I've mentioned and the movement of a human body.

#8 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

Carey thats correct . But its far from new technology, its very old, as technology goes. Old Cutting edge... is NOW very cheap.. But I got poo pooed by those with Zero background education knowledge or understanding in and of this INDUSTRY..
I Don't know anything.....about how anything works on Cozumel..Why? Because I dont live there full time and because my house there was small, not even, maybe modest, just down right tiny.. There's a couple accurate barometers for you..

Humm interesting enough.. lots of people ( of a sort) have hired me to use my knowledge and skill all over America.. Border to Border and Coast to Coast.. and Yes even .....how could this be ? IN Mexico..
YSYK apparatus and Equipment I used to secure places like the IBM R&D Lab in Poughkeepsie NY and Argonne National Labs and Fermi Labs and 3 web Host Centers( Just to Name a few) Items that were at one time cutting edge / Very Expensive $$$$.. Much of it can now be bought at Radio Shack even Ace Hardware and Home Depot ( NOT in the electrical or even home security isles : )
Many of the items I have installed in my Profession..... for Security Purposes, have morphed themselves, into common devices in totally unrelated industries..Go Figure......One Item that used to cost a $1000 or more...... can now be bought for under $9...albeit .. it wont be encased in Custom Designed and Singularly Machined Billet Aluminum.. It will be encased in Epoxy.. and it can, function , just as well and for the same intended purpose I used it for.. Think Computers.. Hand held Games...Cell Phones...Digital Cameras... GPS... Radar...Here I'll give you one.. (Heat Sensitive Evaluators, smaller than a cigarette pack for under $100) James Bond? In the begining it was $$$$$ Not anymore...)
Instead of delving into the issue. Seeing if I had some cost effective solutions to offer, a couple posters preferred to get snooty..
Just so some know..I have never posted , that I did something.......when in fact.... I only paid someone else to do it.. WHY? Because no less than .. Those who do or can do, or have REAL knowledge of... will see right through my boasting.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

"Humm interesting enough.. lots of people ( of a sort) have hired me to use my knowledge and skill all over America.. "

Well obviously you are the man. Congratulations. Give yourself another pat on the back.

Cozumel Diving

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

If I might cut to the chase here....motion detection alarms are not a good choice for many dwelling here because of the items I mentioned in an earlier post. Correct?

#11 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Answer is No... Not an Issue at all.. when Mike apologies for his smart a$$ comment.. I'll explain why. If he chooses not to, your loss not mine..

If I might cut to the chase here....motion detection alarms are not a good choice for many dwelling here because of the items I mentioned in an earlier post. Correct?

#12 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

We've used a security system based on motion-detectors in our NY warehouse for over 15 years. They are installed inside the building. And we have a warehouse cat -- she just walked in one day and made herself at home... Anyway, the detectors are aimed at specific heights -- I think ours are 3 or 4' off the floor -- where a human intruder would trip them and the cat wouldn't, even if she scratched at a door or jumped from one of her resting spots to another. The people who install these alarms know tricks of the trade & can tell you whether or not they're applicable or can be modified to suit individual situations.

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

I wouldn't underestimate the experience and degree of competence of Richard. Besides his work as a union master electrician, he owned an "old" Cozumel home built using whatever materials and methods available at that time. He also has experience with Cozumel during the modern era of construction which can still be a lot different than what is standard in the States.

I'd trust Daniel and Terri to do a good job.

#14 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

It's really amazing to watch these things develop.

* A friend of Carey's has a house break-in. She finds an Alarm System Co and asks Carey to post.

* Carey posts the info and adds that a motion activated system probably wouldn't work for her because of tons of doors and motion from iguanas, birds, palm fronds etc...

* Richard says it would and he knows how, hinting it's about securing the perimeter.

* Paula tells Richard people aren't interested in his info because it probably isn't up to date since he doesn't live on the island or own a house there now. (?)

* Carey is still convinced a motion activated system wouldn't work on a house.

* Richard is both amused & insulted by these responses. He proceeds to post a quite extensive resume to prove he knows what he's talking about but hasn't really let on to what that is yet, except for a hint involving James Bond-ish electronics/computers.

* Mike gives Richard a left handed compliment (for tooting his own horn) which Richard feels is smart a$$ed. Now he won't share because he's not getting respect.

* Deb & Charles add their opinions and experiences without any attitude.

I can't wait to tune in for the next installment!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

I will be the first to admit that I know JACK about this subject. But I still have not heard from anyone definitively as to whether my concerns re motion detectors not working in the kinds of environments I've described are valid or or not. I believe Deb did mention that they could be set to catch motion 2-3 feet off the ground which would take care of small dogs, cats, iguanas and wind. I was thinking in terms of motion detectors on top of walls -- where people often climb over -- especially if they're not 3 meters high.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

I am going to assume the post was meant as amusement.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#17 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

My Bad:
I thought I could help some people, with my years of formal education and actual experience on the job..So, I included my professional qualifications ... so as to eliminate me from the pack .. Does that not make sense?
I offered a step by step... for free!!!
Actually. I said its NOT ...James Bond... I said nothing about the use of a computer.. I offered easy relatively cheap.. However as I said I have worked on the other EXTREME END..None of you could afford a High End System.. Period.. Most cost 2 to 10 times the value of your homes plus installation cost ..making it 4 to 20 times.. Thats not what I was offering ..
( I keep hearing 3 things over and over )..
#1. You dont live here........
"So what ? That shows ignorance.." get over your bad self, living there is not pertinent to the subject.

#2. Those motion detector spot lights dont work here..
Even that statement shows a lack of ability training and Maybe...mechanical aptitude..Thats OK .. I can help you where your short ..

#3. Correct there are No Iguanas up here.
Cats Dogs Squirrels Raccoons Opossum Birds and EVERYTHING else.... same old same old. We over came those issues over 20 years ago before any of you landed on Cozumel : )
I have spent a lot of time on Cozumel and yes I owned a home .. No Attitude coming from me till the BS started.

No I am not entirely self taught... I did not learn this industry reading old Popular Mechanics Magazines ....

#18 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'm hoping that the gates and bars and locks on everthing that will open add some deterent to potential theives at our place, especially since we're not fortunate enough to be there full time yet. Our place is in Corpus Christi and I haven't had any problems yet. Where or what neighborhoods are the other burglaries happening?
I'm a fish!

#19 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Richard - Sorry I got the James Bond/computer thing wrong. I wrote this from an uninvolved 3rd party perspective as I saw it unfold - mainly to go step by step how these (stupid) arguments evolve on chat boards. I'm sure everybody would love to hear some tips from you about securing their property... As far as securing the tops of walls, that embedded jagged glass and mirror pieces is what came to my mind. Traditional, low tech and very effective looking, albeit not very pretty.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#20 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Ccannon: I'd be happy to do a step by step for you via PM.
We can for a couple hundred bucks .... even incorporate the use of multi, diode lasers annunciators and silent multifunction indicators ... I have access to a now...to usless Sound Wave Cannon System we developed and built on another ( much more friendly board) to repel PIRATES hahaha The MD among our little group of Mad Scientist said: Guys its been fun and now that we have all sent our pieces to XXXXXXX its just too dangerous to use.. Why? He's stunning and sometimes KILLING fish with it hahaha I replied::: They're PIRATES I though killing was allowable : )

Richard - Sorry I got the James Bond/computer thing wrong. I wrote this from an uninvolved 3rd party perspective as I saw it unfold - mainly to go step by step how these (stupid) arguments evolve on chat boards. I'm sure everybody would love to hear some tips from you about securing their property... As far as securing the tops of walls, that embedded jagged glass and mirror pieces is what came to my mind. Traditional, low tech and very effective looking, albeit not very pretty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users